Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Thinking of painting my door handles. Satin black or match the color of the car? Pictures?Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
I painted mine satin black with plasti-dip paint so it could easily be removed if I didn’t like it.
Stratfink
Had my drivers side off to replace the plastic part in the handle and plastic-dipped it. I taped off the round portion with the key hole so I wouldn’t scratch when locking and unlocking. It has held up so far but it’s only been about a year.

The black would look good IMHO.
Geezer914
Click to view attachment
mlindner
I did all my trim in satin black. Its been three years and is holding up well. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Craigers17
3M Matte Black Vinyl....not perfect, but looks great on the car.

Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
You need to scuff the finish on the door handles prior to painting and the paint will hold. The chrome/whatever it is is too slick for paint to get a good bond on, and it will flake off pretty fast if you don't.

Zach
mlindner
Zach is correct.You must create a tooth for the paint to stick. Sand paper, steel wool, sand blast just to etch the Chrome. Some powder coat, but painted if you get a small chip just sand the small spot and repaint. Easy
Root_Werks
After looking at a few pictures, almost seems like the 914 door handle is too large to be black. Looks better body color, sort of hides it.
StarBear
I wouldn’t paint mine but concur the body color looks better than the black. Emphasizes the car’s smooth lines.
I think it’s what Kindig would do.
JoeDees
I like the “pop” of the black handles.
Geezer914
Took the plunge, painted the chrome trim around the windows and the vent window post. Used VHT epoxy satin black frame paint.Click to view attachment
Morrie
Gloss black to match body.
Click to view attachment
flat4guy
Click to view attachment
Craigers17
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jul 24 2023, 01:22 PM) *

Took the plunge, painted the chrome trim around the windows and the vent window post. Used VHT epoxy satin black frame paint.Click to view attachment

That looks great!
Jamie
Y'all obviously have way too much spare time on your hands! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.