Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raintray Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
I have a 2056 running dual Dellortos. Love me some Dellortos. I have K&N oiled filters on both. Is anyone running without a raintray with a similar setup? I don't dig the raintray, but am cautious about taking long trips where I may get stuck in a rain storm without it.

I run K&N oiled filters on all of my motorcycles and have never really had a problem with rain, but once or twice have had a filter get wet enough as to "clog" and kill a cylinder. Those were pretty extreme rain conditions.

Pics help every post. Please just say No to hexbar linkage bashing!
Click to view attachment
Jack Standz
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Jul 25 2023, 01:49 AM) *

I have a 2056 running dual Dellortos. Love me some Dellortos. I have K&N oiled filters on both. Is anyone running without a raintray with a similar setup? I don't dig the raintray, but am cautious about taking long trips where I may get stuck in a rain storm without it.

I run K&N oiled filters on all of my motorcycles and have never really had a problem with rain, but once or twice have had a filter get wet enough as to "clog" and kill a cylinder. Those were pretty extreme rain conditions.

Pics help every post. Please just say No to hexbar linkage bashing!
Click to view attachment

We run a rain tray on our carbed 2056. You could put rain hats on the carbs instead of the tray. However, the rain then ends up in the hell hole area (and the left side heck hole where the wiring just sits in a pool of water), which is never good.

The rain tray directs the rain water to the drains that let the water through to the bottom of the car. Unless you have cracks in the tray (which you should fix).
friethmiller
I have dual webers and run a rain try. Everything clears when I shut the engine lid. Hell, it even clears the A/C compressor. What's the issue with the rain tray? Not bashing, just curious.

Click to view attachment
cgnj
Two words. Rain Hats.
mlindner
Back in the day I had a big bore with Webers in my 914. Drove it for 10 years from Porsche parade out in Boston all the way to Colorado Spring and every auto-cross I could find in-between and never had a rain tray. I did make sure I had a larger drain hole in the hell hole area. Also no rust. Best, Mark
sdoolin
Thanks one and all for the feedback. I do have the little funnels and drain tubes in the engine bay, so I am just gonna put the tray back in. It isn't like it is difficult. But I swear the car runs better without the rain tray. I swear it!
JamesJ
I have the tall ITG filters over my Webers. When installed, the rain tray presses down just slightly on the top of my filters, so I drive without it and leave the rain tray in my trunk with the mounting hardware. If I ever get stuck in anything more than a light rain, I have it accessible.
Also, I want as much air as possible entering my air horns and the ITGs provide a lot more surface area than most filters as the tops are "open".
Craigers17
If you’re just looking for other options, Thorotec has a few different options to protect your carbs from rain….especially if you don’t mind opening up your wallet.

https://www.thoro-tec.de/en/c/porsche-914/engine-compartment
Superhawk996
Beautiful Ducati. Love the old bevel drives! Work of art!

If you run without a rain tray long enough, you will find that the carbs getting wet isn’t the problem. It will be the distributor and wiring getting wet. Ask me how I know. laugh.gif
Mikey914
Got 'em if you need a set
https://914rubber.com/black-carburetor-rain-hat-set
They are not a brittle ABS . Made from TPO thick enough you and easily drill and modify for your existing set up.
VaccaRabite
A stock rain tray should work for you. It also cuts back on some of the scream from air rushing through the vents at higher RPM, and helps you not want ear plugs on longer drives.

Zach
sdoolin
Now I gotta buy some stuff from Thorotec...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.