Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It’s always something
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Took the car up to Middletown area this past Saturday (wife’s suggestion) for a family function as it was finally a nice weekend. Car ran perfect on the way up, a little hot here and there, parked in the shade and left to head back home about 4 hours later. I thought about getting a little gas a couple miles away but decided I’d make it back ok... dry.gif

Anyway, I didn’t get no gas. For those who don’t know, leaving and returning to Long Island can be an ordeal about 90% of the time, as if you go west of the Hudson there’s always two bridges to cross, and all the associated traffic and those courteous drivers. rolleyes.gif So as we got down 87 to the Cross County there was a station right there. “Hey, I’ll just throw a little gas in” I figured. Ok, did that.

When I get back in the car and turn the key, nothing but raspberries coming from underneath, no cranking... bs.gif

Here’s where it starts getting dicey; the station was on a slight hill, so after I told the wife the plan (get out and push happy11.gif ) it fired up on the third and last possible attempt before running out of road. Yay! But why didn’t it crank start?

First I thought maybe the alternator belt broke and it’s running on battery power. Was definitely gonna need headlights on the way home so that provided some angst...

Then I thought about the relay noise, I had done Mark’s upgrade a few years back which has worked well. That was the problem, it had gotten hot in traffic and malfunctioned. I told the Porsche pushin’ wife that it probably would start in the morning after it cooled off. Sure enough, Sunday morning, a split second of farting suddenly became cranking and all was good.

No doubt about it, I gotta get me a new solenoid. And maybe figure out a way to shield it from the heat beerchug.gif

wonkipop
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 24 2023, 09:00 PM) *

Took the car up to Middletown area this past Saturday (wife’s suggestion) for a family function as it was finally a nice weekend. Car ran perfect on the way up, a little hot here and there, parked in the shade and left to head back home about 4 hours later. I thought about getting a little gas a couple miles away but decided I’d make it back ok... dry.gif

Anyway, I didn’t get no gas. For those who don’t know, leaving and returning to Long Island can be an ordeal about 90% of the time, as if you go west of the Hudson there’s always two bridges to cross, and all the associated traffic and those courteous drivers. rolleyes.gif So as we got down 87 to the Cross County there was a station right there. “Hey, I’ll just throw a little gas in” I figured. Ok, did that.

When I get back in the car and turn the key, nothing but raspberries coming from underneath, no cranking... bs.gif

Here’s where it starts getting dicey; the station was on a slight hill, so after I told the wife the plan (get out and push happy11.gif ) it fired up on the third and last possible attempt before running out of road. Yay! But why didn’t it crank start?

First I thought maybe the alternator belt broke and it’s running on battery power. Was definitely gonna need headlights on the way home so that provided some angst...

Then I thought about the relay noise, I had done Mark’s upgrade a few years back which has worked well. That was the problem, it had gotten hot in traffic and malfunctioned. I told the Porsche pushin’ wife that it probably would start in the morning after it cooled off. Sure enough, Sunday morning, a split second of farting suddenly became cranking and all was good.

No doubt about it, I gotta get me a new solenoid. And maybe figure out a way to shield it from the heat beerchug.gif

a 914 roll starts in reverse real real easy. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
same thing happens to me after longish runs.
haven't bothered to upgrade solonoid etc.
i carry a hammer.
come in from the back and tap the starter motor (not the solonoid).
seems to work everytime.
but if i am parked on a convenient incline i just roll backwards. bam. driving.gif
930cabman
"Porsche pushin wife"

might not be a happy one screwy.gif
emerygt350
I don't think the heat is an issue with the solenoid, it's the reduced voltage reaching the solenoid. I mean, it could be a combination of the two. Ford solenoid fix is so easy....
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 25 2023, 05:53 AM) *

I don't think the heat is an issue with the solenoid, it's the reduced voltage reaching the solenoid. I mean, it could be a combination of the two. Ford solenoid fix is so easy....

anything ford is good mate.
and i should do it.
but like most ford owners i am lazy. biggrin.gif

Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 25 2023, 07:53 AM) *

agree.gif

If I read OP right, it already has the Ford solenoid fix.

That Ford solenoid is just a band-aid for wiring that has too much voltage dropping across either the yellow starter wire or the ground strap(s). Sometimes both are dropping too much voltage. The Ford solenoid “fix” just masks the wiring issue until the wiring degrades to the point that it no longer works with the Ford solenoid.

Wire Resistance increases with increasing temperature. This relationship between temperature and resistance is true regardless of whether the Ford solenoid is installed or not. This is why the no-start problems manifest when hot.

It’s possible either the Ford relay has failed or possibly the Bosch starter solenoid failed. However, I’d put money on the wiring voltage drop as root cause.
FlacaProductions
"Porsche pushin wife"

I see a new T-shirt design....
Porschef
Yes, it does have the Ford solenoid fix, which has been fine up till Saturday. That may have been the longest drive I’ve taken with it in that much traffic, so I figure the solenoid may have gotten heat soaked, along with the wiring. I replaced the starter last year with a high quality Bosch remanufactured unit.

I’m gonna go out later and see how it cranks/starts.

@FlacaProductions

I agree Brian, could be a good T-shirt design laugh.gif She actually was good with it, I helped get it rolling then jumped in. But she’s a trooper, in a sundress and sandals...beerchug.gif
Porschef
Quick update, just went out to check the starting, got the split second fart followed by the engine cranking. Gonna assume it’s stromberg.gif

I’ll slap a new solenoid in there, I don’t expect much from these cheap Chinese products... dry.gif

If there’s any still produced domestically I’d prefer that, obviously... beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
@Superhawk996 already mentioned it, the ford solenoid is a band aid for the issue. There are some decent threads on the subject.
jvmarino
I would check the transaxle ground strap. I struggled with the whole "hot start" issue for years. Installed the ignition switch relay bypass which had some success, but problem still occurred at times. I then replaced the ground strap and have not had a problem since.

And even though the old strap was in good physical shape, it was a very old braided copper strap that probably was not as conductive as it originally was.
Porschef
@jvmarino

I replaced the strap years ago when I got the car but I’ll have a look at it. Will also check all connections then.

Thanks beerchug.gif
r_towle
Yup, brand new strap.
Clean trans and body with a Dremel and wire brush.
Battery to body, clean ground at body with wire brush.

That is stock.

For insurance I might suggest.
Battery to engine too, big fat short cable.
Starter relay you have.

Super secret insurance
Run a big fat cable up to the engine bay from a dual spade bit on the starter.
When all else fails, car in neutral, key on, touch that cable to the positive terminal.

Famous one Ed taught us
Car in neutral
Key on
Lay on your back and take a quarter under the car.
Touch big red cable on starter
Twist quarter over to touch spade bit on starter.

worn
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 25 2023, 04:23 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 25 2023, 05:53 AM) *

anything ford is good mate.
and i should do it.
but like most ford owners i am lazy. biggrin.gif

I am so very envious!! What a car.
Karl R
Been away from the 914 for a few decades so don't know nothing about no stinking Ford solenoid, but back in the day we would always put a relay right at the starter. The solenoid wire unplugs and plugs into the control (coil) pin, and the switch-in connects to starter power and the switch-out connects to the solenoid. At the same time its a good idea to replace the plastic part of the ignition switch which is pretty easy.
I was usually by myself so push starting was not an option. My technique is to reach under the car and short the power post to the solenoid pin with a screw driver. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR! This approach is scary, stupid and dangerous, but works well.
ClayPerrine
I have found over the years that the rebuilt Bosch original starters are less than optimal in the rebuild. A lot of them are done so cheaply that all they really do is clean them and replace the brushes. The worn bushings and old components make the pull in voltage too high for the original wiring. The Ford solenoid will make the pull in voltage higher, compensating for the worn "rebuilt" starters.

I prefer an aftermarket gear drive starter.

Click to view attachment

These starters are more modern than the OEM starter. They require less pull in voltage, and spin the motor faster. I have never had one fail to crank yet. And I have this same 914 gear drive starter spinning over my 12.5x1 compression 4.0L motor. It cranks every time.

They are a worthy investment.

An alternative is the current Porsche starter that supersedes the original 914 starter. Porsche no longer sells SR17 or SR19 starters. They only sell the SR39X starters now.

IPB Image

We have one on the factory six. It works well, and spins the motor robustly. I am still looking for a SR19 core to have rebuilt by a reliable local rebuilder to keep the six original.

Porschef
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 26 2023, 05:11 PM) *

IPB Image

Looks just like the one I’ve got Clay, including the hammer advice... biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.