Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control arms Powdercoat or something else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cgnj
I am getting ready to drop off my fan shroud and notice my box of front and rear control arms. Powder coat or something else?

DennisV
QUOTE(cgnj @ Jul 25 2023, 05:12 AM) *

I am getting ready to drop off my fan shroud and notice my box of front and rear control arms. Powder coat or something else?

I think you will get a lot of opinions on this one. The key question to ask yourself is what are your priorities? Cheap, original, durable.

I think consensus will be that powder coat is the most durable. It certainly is not original. There have been comments that due to its thickness, it could cause some fitness issues (i.e., requires sanding at connection points). Some folks have the capability to do it at home, but most of us send parts off to professionals. This means time waiting and money.

Many, many paint options. Eastwood chassis black is quite popular, and you can do that yourself from a gun or rattle can. I haven't come across any complaints with regards to its durability. I speculate that the Extreme version, while more durable, has more gloss than what would be original. It's what I'm plan to use on our 914-6 for the half shafts and trailing arms.
mepstein
Cerikote is also a great choice. No need to mask the bushing areas and very durable. We do both powder and ceramic at my shop but just for in house projects. I’m not advertising for that work.
mlindner
My sand blaster does a lot of truck frames and uses Dupont Emron. So he did my front A arms and rear control arms, looks like new after three years and all for $75.00Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
powdercoat

QUOTE(cgnj @ Jul 25 2023, 05:12 AM) *

DRPHIL914
when i pulled my front and rear 10 years ago to replace and do all new bushings and bearings etc, i got newly powder coated ones from PMB and they are still like new.

Phil
bkrantz
I had my powder-coated. The shop was very good about protecting surfaces that should not be coated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.