Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update on my Lemons 914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crossleg_Luke
My last post here, I suggested that my 1975 1.8L might've been too far gone for me to save.

After talking with a few local Autowelders (Who like me before I bought the thing had no idea what it was or that it ever existed.) They're guesstimates were that it in fact was not worth saving.

However I, was not so quick to give up on it. So I had it towed to my fathers raceshop where we could begin stripping it. and really inspecting the extent of the rust damage.

Click to view attachment

After looking around Online I got into touch with both AutoAtlanta and 914Limited about options regarding replacing the outer long on the passenger side. I decided to order the kit from Mr. Mayeur of 914 Limited. After coming to the conclusion that it seemed to be the better option for our use case.

The reason I made the call to go ahead and attempt the surgery was because it seems like the Hell Hole was not the primary cause of the damge (though it certainly contributed) The Kit Mr. Mayeur sent me upon initial observations seems to be the exact thing needed to make the car strong again. Rust has honestly destroyed most of the outer long, but weirdly seems to be largely isolated to it. The inner long has damage, but nothing 16ga. patches won't improve past factory. and the suspension mount is fine. Driver's side is immaculate as we discovered today after finally taking the rusty rocker cover off. andthe suspension mount seems to only have surface rust.

to be honest with you, we're not sure it can be saved. after 2 weeks of looking for an answer, we're not even sure how it doesn't break in half when the door opens. But it doesn't and we haven't exactly been gentle with it. So, I said screw it and threw a few more $100 bills on an experiment because I'm already attached.

We don't know if it can be fixed. At least not by us. We especially are unsure if it will pass tech even if it does get fixed. But, We're gonna try.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
theer
The cage will add significant structure and stiffness, too. Just need solid metal to weld it to!

We race a 914 in Lemons. It happens to have an LS2 and a Boxster trans. They murder us with penalty laps, but they love to see/hear us coming!
Crossleg_Luke
QUOTE(theer @ Jul 26 2023, 12:37 AM) *

We race a 914 in Lemons. It happens to have an LS2 and a Boxster trans. They murder us with penalty laps, but they love to see/hear us coming!

The plan is to leave the stock 1.8 in it. If that nukes then put a Hayabusa engine in it..

At this point getting into Lemons became a stretch goal. I really just want the car now. Lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.