Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In-line Fuel pressure gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ottomotion
Just want to add a simple in-line analog gauge in the engine bay.
Easy install with correct fittings, etc...
I have seen a few posted in pics and just wondering if someone has a link to one they like and use.

Thanks
930cabman
QUOTE(Ottomotion @ Jul 26 2023, 09:06 AM) *

Just want to add a simple in-line analog gauge in the engine bay.
Easy install with correct fittings, etc...
I have seen a few posted in pics and just wondering if someone has a link to one they like and use.

Thanks

You are running carbs?

I have "Pirate" as memory serves for several different cars with twin Webers. Available from Amazon, somewhat cheap. There are many types that are oil filled. I am unsure of the advantage of this feature.

I keep the fuel pressure between 1 and 2 psi (gauge) and have never ran low in the float bowls.
brant
Make certain a gauge. Any gauge. Is mounted to the chassis to control vibration

I’ve seen brass fittings crack and start motor fires on cars with gauges mounted to the carbs or engine that experience extra vibration
Aerostatwv
Here's how I mounted mine. I'd make sure you get a liquid filled gage to absorb some of the vibration.

Click to view attachment
brant
You should consider moving that one to a chassis mounted point

You will hate yourself if you have an engine fire
slivel
There is an AN fitting specifically made for a gauge.
Click to view attachment
burton73
This was the set up PMB Performance put in my 6 with PMOs. we changed out to EFI and used a different set up.

This has AN fittings.

Going over to 4sale area just in case you need this

Bob B

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 26 2023, 11:56 AM) *

In these parts this is a very bad selection of words. Mine is unsupported on a short length of fuel hose. My gut tells me being attached to a solid point will create more vibration. screwy.gif

I have been wrong before, more than once. Don't ask my wife

Thank you for the pointer
brant
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 26 2023, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 26 2023, 11:56 AM) *

In these parts this is a very bad selection of words. Mine is unsupported on a short length of fuel hose. My gut tells me being attached to a solid point will create more vibration. screwy.gif

I have been wrong before, more than once. Don't ask my wife

Thank you for the pointer

Just saying
I’ve seen the brass fittings work harden and crack
This spraying fuel and melting a 911
Because the gauge was hanging by the brass

Go ask other race car builders
Experience matters
Karl R
Folks in the 928 were doing this for a while, until the fires started happening. Maybe not the best idea to count on these holding up and being leak free for years.
76-914
I'd think 1ft of hose would dampen any vibrations but I wouldn't hang anything off of a brass barbed fitting that would have any weight. 35+ years ago we ran 1/8" copper tube into the aircraft cabin for the primer line to the carb. Then again all of my fuel lines were under the seats. lol-2.gif And airplanes ain't nothing but vibration. That line would be coiled to absorb vibration before connecting to the primer valve. If it were today I'd run an AN3 line w/AN fittings. You can buy a good electric sensor and gauge but they're pricey. Cheap ones aren't reliable and fail quickly. Dakota quit selling their sending unit-made by others- because of problems.
914werke
Click to view attachment
Ottomotion
QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Jul 26 2023, 11:53 AM) *

Here's how I mounted mine. I'd make sure you get a liquid filled gage to absorb some of the vibration.

Click to view attachment

This is what I had in mind. Where did you source yours?
brant
Liquid filed dampens the needle
Not the fittings

Make your own choice
GregAmy
Why permanently install a gauge? Just put in a solid t-fitting somewhere with a quick disconnect and you can check it at any time.

The more things you install, the more things there are that can fail.
VaccaRabite
Here is how I did it.

On mine the gauge is on a Holley fuel pressure regulator, so not the stock unit. And it is mounted to the chassis.

I used to have a gauge inline off the stock regulator and ran like that for about 5 years. The way I have it done now is so much better. Its WAY more stable and a ton easier to read.

IPB Image

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.