Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My cooling fan just got hosed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott_in_nh
So I'm probably not the first or last, but I just took out my 914 to go to the store and the heater hose came loose, got sucked into the fan and took out some blades headbang.gif

Is there a different fan for the 2.0 (74) or do they all use the same one?
PN?
I assume the engine has to be dropped - correct?

I'll be posting a WTB, but feel free to let me know if you have one....
Thanks,
Scott
DRPHIL914
Man Scott that sucks! the timing marks might be different but the fans are otherwise thesame there is an early and late with different boss that you have to make sure the mounting bolts are not too long and stick thru too far.

I am pretty sure you will have to pull the motor and trans.

Phil -
oh and get yourself a VW bus bird cage for that thing, this is why i have one now, i dropped a valve seat from a towel getting pulled in there and blocked air flow and the#3 seat came loose!

Phil
mepstein
I have one for sale if you need it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=366148&hl=
SirAndy
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 26 2023, 11:17 AM) *
oh and get yourself a VW bus bird cage for that thing

agree.gif

IPB Image
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 26 2023, 02:17 PM) *

Man Scott that sucks! the timing marks might be different but the fans are otherwise thesame there is an early and late with different boss that you have to make sure the mounting bolts are not too long and stick thru too far.

Phil -
oh and get yourself a VW bus bird cage for that thing, this is why i have one now, i dropped a valve seat from a towel getting pulled in there and blocked air flow and the#3 seat came loose!

Phil

Thanks Phil, your situation is worse! That must have been the worst feeling....
Did you replace just the fan or the assembly with the pulley?
Early vs. late - which uses the longer bolts?
I see PNs ending with 031 and 113, but don't know which matches what I have?
Porschef
No, you’re not the first... rolleyes.gif Are you sure some blades broke? Mine happened years ago, but other than having to fish out the hose from the fan, it was ok. beerchug.gif

scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 26 2023, 03:40 PM) *

No, you’re not the first... rolleyes.gif Are you sure some blades broke? Mine happened years ago, but other than having to fish out the hose from the fan, it was ok. beerchug.gif

Yeah I can put 3 or 4 fingers through it and there is a mild vibration.
Luckily it happened 100' from my driveway!
StarBear

Phil -

@DRphil914
Was just thinking of doing something like that as have dropped two things down there but recovered before damage. What do they look like? Is there a part name for them? Do they get placed or mounted?
Thanks!
ClayPerrine
You don't have to drop the motor, but it makes it easier.

Years ago, Betty threw the crank hub at an AX that was 4 hours from home. With the help of a local auto parts store, I got a key and a bolt, and put it back together in the parking lot. It lasted that way for years until I rebuilt the motor.

I had to pull the front tin and work from underneath, but it can be done.

Clay
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2023, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 26 2023, 11:17 AM) *
oh and get yourself a VW bus bird cage for that thing

agree.gif

IPB Image
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jul 26 2023, 03:24 PM) *

Phil -

Phil

Thanks Phil, your situation is worse! That must have been the worst feeling....
Did you replace just the fan or the assembly with the pulley?
Early vs. late - which uses the longer bolts?
I see PNs ending with 031 and 113, but don't know which matches what I have?
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 26 2023, 04:34 PM) *

Phil -

@DRphil914
Was just thinking of doing something like that as have dropped two things down there but recovered before damage. What do they look like? Is there a part name for them? Do they get placed or mounted?
Thanks!

@scott_in_nh
Scott, not sure of part number, and there was a discussion on that recently mgith come up on a search, you will see once you pull yours, - regarding my dropped valve seat it was at Werks 2 years ago, i must have dropped the towel detailing it for the car show, and had done a tune up etc and saw the head temp suddenly go up and turned the car off, later i heard and rattle and felt like i was missing on one cylinder, pulled the plug and could see the seat holding the valve open, but no piston or head damage at all, luckily that seat didnt move or break apart i was able to trailer the car home. once i got the heads pulled etc i also sent in the injectors to be tested and the #3 was running lean so that kind of was a double wammy, lean running on # 3 with some reduced air flow. anyway, get Mark's fan and install it along with the cage thing,!

@StarBear
Sir Andy posted a picture of it, in this thread, it will work to keep the junk out. I have one now and has saved a paper towel from being sucked in.

DRPHIL914
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232899935766?chn=p...4YaAseQEALw_wcB

here is a e-bay ad for one
Karl R
I used to time mine with a timing like and a mirror so I could see the marks on the front of the fan. Until one day I lost control of the mirror and it got into the fan. Worse that SH!T hitting the fan is a mirror hitting a fan with your head nearby. Yes-Air screen!
scott_in_nh
I will definitely be installing a guard before it goes back in!
The timing sucks as i definitely want to drive it more this year, but was already planning on a tranny swap, clutch replacement, and new RMS this winter and am afraid of “while I’m in there” disease, and the “this won’t take long” time warp killing the season!
Thanks for the help (as always)
Scott
930cabman
Being reasonably new to all things 914, a screen will be standard issue for all my future/4 projects.

Any input for /6 guys?
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 26 2023, 04:51 PM) *

You don't have to drop the motor, but it makes it easier.

Years ago, Betty threw the crank hub at an AX that was 4 hours from home. With the help of a local auto parts store, I got a key and a bolt, and put it back together in the parking lot. It lasted that way for years until I rebuilt the motor.

I had to pull the front tin and work from underneath, but it can be done.

Clay

Missed this response - thanks Clay!
SirAndy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 26 2023, 05:42 PM) *
Any input for /6 guys?

We need bigger screens ...
biggrin.gif
FlacaProductions
From @GregAmy via my notes:

Piece of cake. The threaded bosses are already on the fan housing, all you need is three 6mm bolts, three washers would be nice, and a 10mm socket (you still have one of those in the tool box, right?)

Easily done with engine in the car. A bit fidgety, so it helps to have a mirror. And you'll be leaning on the fender, so grab a good fender cover...
rhodyguy
Remove the engine lid.
scott_in_nh
I was able to lower the tin in front of the fan, but have not been able to remove it.
The clutch cable, throttle cable, speedo cable, shift rod, etc. all prevent it.
I was able to get the fan unbolted, but cannot find or make a big enough gap to get it out.
So I am thinking I need to take the pulley off the fan to get it out/in.
What is the tool type/size for the pulley bolts?
They look somewhat different than torx?
Am I missing another way to do this?
Thanks,
Scott
sportlicherFahrer
Tin comes out through the top of the engine compartment. Takes a little effort to work past the compartment seal, but it should slip out of there. Just went through that motion recently while replacing my alternator... dry.gif

The fasteners holding the pulley to the fan are best not removed while the fan is on the engine. IIRC, the bolt heads are on the back side of the fan and will spin if you're able to get the nuts on the front broken free. More headache than it's worth. Working the tin out from in front of the engine is your best bet to get the clearance needed for fan removal.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Aug 8 2023, 11:46 AM) *

Tin comes out through the top of the engine compartment. Takes a little effort to work past the compartment seal, but it should slip out of there. Just went through that motion recently while replacing my alternator... dry.gif

The fasteners holding the pulley to the fan are best not removed while the fan is on the engine. IIRC, the bolt heads are on the back side of the fan and will spin if you're able to get the nuts on the front broken free. More headache than it's worth. Working the tin out from in front of the engine is your best bet to get the clearance needed for fan removal.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes
StarBear
Ordered the Type 4 fan guard (plastic one). Will get around to installing. Should (?) be easy. smile.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 8 2023, 11:56 AM) *

Thanks for the tip!

scott_in_nh
QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 8 2023, 02:01 PM) *

Ordered the Type 4 fan guard (plastic one). Will get around to installing. Should (?) be easy. smile.gif

I hope so -
Car is fixed and the replacement pulley is exactly the same.
So once I go the old one out the replacement and the tin went in fairly easily, but my fan guard only arrived last week and I haven't installed it yet.

Can anybody tell me what size bolts are required?
Thanks
Shivers
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 8 2023, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 8 2023, 11:56 AM) *

Thanks for the tip!

Wow. sad.gif
technicalninja
I just pulled this fan off of my 75 1.8l Out the bottom, just enough room.

Had entire exhaust and heater crap off of the car. Everything else attached.

Removed front tin through bottom as well. Having engine cover and heater blower motor out helped as well.

Not a big deal at all...
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 23 2023, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 8 2023, 02:01 PM) *

I hope so -
Car is fixed and the replacement pulley is exactly the same.
So once I go the old one out the replacement and the tin went in fairly easily, but my fan guard only arrived last week and I haven't installed it yet.

Can anybody tell me what size bolts are required?
Thanks

6mm
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 23 2023, 04:19 PM) *

6mm

Thanks Brian
emerygt350
Look what I just added....
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.