Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers/heat exchangers Short Stroke 3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
What, if any, are the choices for headers/heat exchangers for a short stroke 3.2
in a 914 GT ?
I understand one popular choice is NLA
Anyone have a set for sale ?
Alternatives ?
T.Rick6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 27 2023, 09:56 AM) *

What, if any are the choices for headers/heat exchangers for a short stroke 3.2
in a 914 GT ?
Alternatives ?

I just went thru this for my twin plug 3.3. I was going to have Ben Mcfarland modify a set of 996 heat exchangers but they are only 1.5" ID. I wanted a little bit larger 1.75; I found a really good deal on 1.75 SS heat exchangers custom made by Hawyard and Scott

https://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/914...angers-590.html

What trans are you using? I have a wevo 915 and am going with Tangerine Racing EVO-6, haven't ordered it yet, waiting on the HE's to arrive first.

I have a set of headers that came off my motor available cheap if your interested, unsure of the size, will have to check after work, let me know. beerchug.gif

Todd
mb911
QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Jul 27 2023, 06:56 AM) *

in a 914 GT ?
Alternatives ?

I just went thru this for my twin plug 3.3. I was going to have Ben Mcfarland modify a set of 996 heat exchangers but they are only 1.5" ID. I wanted a little bit larger 1.75; I found a really good deal on 1.75 SS heat exchangers custom made by Hawyard and Scott

What trans are you using? I have a wevo 915 and am going with Tangerine Racing EVO-6, haven't ordered it yet, waiting on the HE's to arrive first.

I have a set of headers that came off my motor available cheap if your interested, unsure of the size, will have to check after work, let me know. beerchug.gif

Todd

993 heat exchangers work really well
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 27 2023, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Jul 27 2023, 06:56 AM) *

in a 914 GT ?
Alternatives ?

Todd

993 heat exchangers work really well

That’s my plan for the hot 3.4 build.
mate914
I also am looking into 993 heat exchangers.
Matt
r_towle
I got grief for this question on pelican
I see “short stroke 3.2”, 3.3, and 3.4

So, how big can I make an aluminum cased 3.0?

Yolo
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 27 2023, 04:10 PM) *

I got grief for this question on pelican
I see “short stroke 3.2”, 3.3, and 3.4

So, how big can I make an aluminum cased 3.0?

Yolo

We made one a bit bigger than 3.5 but it took a lot of work. Custom crank from Pauter. Dyno’d 320 at the wheels at Dawes Motorsports. It was a very expensive build and took time. Peter’s input was crucial but he’s been doing special builds all his life.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Jul 27 2023, 10:56 AM) *

in a 914 GT ?
Alternatives ?

Todd

Hey Todd
My trans is a '72 915 with a Martin Bott 916 kit installed.
A normal banana sport muffler works with this setup.
I've got a set of headers that are no larger than stock HEs so that, plus no heat
is a 'no go'
Your UK suggestion looks very interesting.
What is an ideal ID for a sporty 3.2 ?
Rory

Anyone have a pic of the 993 parts as used on a 914 6 ?
Todd when do you expect to see the parts from the UK ?
burton73
Click to view attachment

You are looking at factory style Dansk Heat Exchangers done up for my 6 number 41
I have a 3.0 with big vales heads (from a 3.2) oxygen sensors installed for the aftermarket EFI.
Note the exhaust is two in two out. Done by PMB Performance. These are 1.5 inch at heads I believe and tapered up to 3 inches at muffler x 2 in. It has not been on a dynamometer, but it is very fast and smooth. Lots of torque, starts right out in 2nd but I do have lower gears.

Best Bob B
rgalla9146
Bob those are polished stock HEs (1.5"OD ? )with larger collectors ?

Anyone have a 3.2 SS thats performs well with stock HEs ?

I just measured the exhaust ports on my 3.0 heads. 34.7mm Hmm
Stock HE inlets are 33.3 mm

Optimum for a 3.2 is? 1 5/8" ? , 1 3/4" ?
r_towle
Bob, very purty
mepstein
Dansk finally made larger 911 SSI’s for 3.2/3.6 because the stock ones are too small for engines over 3.0. Many engine builders prefer 1 5/8 for the larger size engines. I’m having some special sets of 911 headers made with 1 3/4 pipes using a Peter Dawe design for big engines with over 300hp. Besides the pipe sizes, the shape of the collector is hugely important.

The stock 993 heat exchangers work really well. They can be adapted to other 911 engines or if you have Ben’s talents, adapted to 914-6’s.
targa72e
I will say that you did not provide enough information about what you want to get a good answer. Heat exchangers are only part of the question. What is your end goal and priorities?. You went with a 3.2 short stroke so I assume HP is part of the equation, but you also asked for heat exchangers so heat is a priority as well. The muffler you chose can make a big difference in the end HP result and sound quality/ volume as well. Lots of options and all are compromises. Rank your whats important to you.

john
rgalla9146
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jul 28 2023, 12:50 AM) *

I will say that you did not provide enough information about what you want to get a good answer. Heat exchangers are only part of the question. What is your end goal and priorities?. You went with a 3.2 short stroke so I assume HP is part of the equation, but you also asked for heat exchangers so heat is a priority as well. The muffler you chose can make a big difference in the end HP result and sound quality/ volume as well. Lots of options and all are compromises. Rank your whats important to you.

john

Hey John
You pretty much covered my priorities.
Here goes.
Appropriate tubing ID to allow the engine to perform optimally.
Heat.
Exhaust that sounds good without being obnoxious.
Quality components are a requirement as well.
I wish I had gotten Bens parts when they were available.
I'd be happy to have those if they could be found.
Are you suggesting it is not possible have all of these ?
Rory
targa72e
I would say the hardest thing is if you want a muffler that doesn't kill HP and is quiet. Pretty easy to not kill HP and be loud. You will find lots of threads on mufflers that sound good but there is usually no information on how much power they cost. I am a dyno proponent for testing any mod. In most metro areas there is likely a chassis dyno that you can do before and after testing. I have dynoed all my mods to see what works and what doesn't. Typical cost is $100 per hour. You have invested in upgrading a 3.0 to 3.2. It would be a shame to kill hp back to below stock 3.0 levels. Below is dyno of 3.0 small port 911SC 3.0 with CIS, headers and glass packs. Mufflers are straight thru how bad could they be. These were cheap units with perforation to the inside like these:

Click to view attachment

This is the before and after removing these mufflers.

Click to view attachment

As you can see, even thought you can see straight thru it kills power.

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.