Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Installer in San Diego Area, North County
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
Does anybody have any recommendations?

Several of the clips popped out while installing the trim. While attempting to remove the glass the windshield cracked. In fact it splintered which makes me wonder how safe this glass is to drive with.

Although the glass is centered, I don't think I'm getting it seated correctly. Using 5/16" butyl tape.

This is my second windshield install. The first one cracked after about 3 years (no impact, just cracked). Obviously I'm doing it wrong despite watching repeated videos. Is there a shop in the San Diego area that does 914 glass installs?

Thanks.
jim_hoyland
Rufino in Orange County is our 914 go-to
Tons of 914 experience, good pricing, comes to you.

(714) 292-5811

Goes by trade name L&R glass
Highland
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 27 2023, 01:00 PM) *

(714) 292-5811

Can't find them on the WEB and phone number goes to unannounced voicemail. Do they still exist?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Highland @ Jul 27 2023, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 27 2023, 01:00 PM) *

(714) 292-5811

Can't find them on the WEB and phone number goes to unannounced voicemail. Do they still exist?

Yes. Several locals have recently used Rufino
Doubt they have a Web page; small operation
Lucky9146
Ask Oscar at Escondido Custom Upholstery if he'll do it. He has done many 911's and likely 914's.
Good guy, I have used him several times for seats and steering wheels, but he has not done a windshield for me.
driving.gif white914.jpg
euro911
I've had Rufino recommended by a few members here who've had him do their installations. Unfortunately, until I can find a place where I can get the left trailing arm mounting 'ears' on 'HOWARD' put back where they belong, a windshield is the farthest thing from my mind.

Click to view attachment

Question though ... does Rufino just install them, or does he also have a source for new windshields ?
jim_hoyland
H can bring the glass
euro911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 29 2023, 05:29 PM) *
He can bring the glass
Thanks, Jim ... smile.gif
Mikey914
On removing the glass, even a good shop will tell you that you have a 50/50 shot of it being removed without that happening. I’ve done it once, but my record is 1 out of 3.
windforfun
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2023, 09:06 AM) *

On removing the glass, even a good shop will tell you that you have a 50/50 shot of it being removed without that happening. I’ve done it once, but my record is 1 out of 3.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Safety glass isn't what it used to be. Windshields are much thinner now to reduce weight.
Highland
Okay, now that I've calmed down a bit I purchased another windshield (thanks to 914Werke for the quick turnaround).

I'm having trouble getting the left side of the windshield to sit below the frame line. It was touching the VIN tag, but I've pushed the tag back to eliminate the interference.

It seems to sit flush with the frame when the bottom seal is removed. I've also noted some interference on top with the interior (the top of the windshield sits below the frame line.

Any tips on getting the windshield positioned correctly? Do I need the remove the interior "padding" to install the windshield?
windforfun
Dump the windshield & wear some goggles.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Mikey914
You should not have to remove pillar trim or top windshield piece. If Urethane is being used, it may come into contact with them, but not much you can do about that. Minimize it to the extent possible, but if you damage them next time you remove the windshield, new ones are available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.