Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Suspension cleanup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
I have a complete early 911 front/rear suspension setup. Bearings are all good. Been setting for awhile. I was planning on running it by the car wash and wash all the parts good to get the grime off of them. Then coat all the metal with WD40. Would you suggest going ahead and having all the metal parts sandblasted or? Then repaint or have the parts anodized? This will ultimately be going back under a 914 conversion to 5-lug. Suggestions, thank you.
mepstein
If you take it apart to blast and paint/powder coat, every bearing, bushing and seal will need replacing and typically ball joints as well. Are they Koni shocks or Mulholland. Most of the time the shocks, strut inserts and springs are tired and get replaced. Same with rotors, pads and soft lines. Then you usually rebuild the calipers. It’s a very slippery slope.
Justinp71

Depends on your goals. Personally if I wanted to get the car on the road I would probably have the front powder coated and redone. Throw the back on and get the car on the road. Rear end is easier to pull apart later. Hard to say but doesn't look like a pressure wash is going to make them look much cleaner?
914Sixer
I have concerns over your front struts. They are hydropneumatic struts. Porsche only used them two years and sent them to the trash can. There are NO parts for them. Hopefully yours are good. Your control arms have NO torsion bars in them IF they are the correct one. Struts will not work correctly with torsion bar control arms.
9144me2enjoy
Thank you for your reply’s, the shocks are Boges. The struts appear/feel good.
Tonyooc
I had all of mine powder coated. Just covered the spindles.
mlindner
Thats a bad bandaid. Break it all down, clean, blast, paint or powder, replace seals, bearing, bushing (rubber/ploly bronze). Thats what I did, nothing to worry about in the future. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
9144me2enjoy
Mark your right thats the right way to do it and the finished product is amazing!
jhynesrockmtn
I wouldn't pressure wash anything. I just did the front of my 914. My buddy has a blasting cabinet. Take it all apart, get the rust and old paint off yourself or hand it off to someone to do. Then either paint or powdercoat. I did new struts, bushings, ball joints and had the rack rebuilt at 914 rubber and added turbo tie rods. Can't wait to see how it performs. Ian Karr's videos are your friend.

New bearings for the front and will do the rear as soon as my knee heals from a recent scope. Might as well do it right while it is off the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mlindner
jhynesrockmtn, that looks great and love the bottom shot (very clean) nice.
9144me2enjoy
Looks really great! It’s not something you want to do twice, do it right the first time!
mepstein
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Jul 28 2023, 05:22 PM) *

Looks really great! It’s not something you want to do twice, do it right the first time!

It can be fun though and the results look great. It’s a simple system that takes simple tools to assemble. Good parts aren’t cheap but everything is available with videos on youtube. Ian’s video series covers it all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.