Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel siphoning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I need to empty about 2-5 gallons from a 911 fuel tank.

I have one of those brake bleeder suction units that uses air.

If I was to take the bleeder off its tank and stick the top into a gas can...the line all the way into the tank, do you think this would work?

I may go find something to buy in the morning, but I don't really have a choice here...I need to replace two parts on the bottom of the tank.

trying to be quick about getting the fuel out, and not all over me and the garage.

rich
StarBear
I got one of those plastic bellows with two tubes. Worked fine. About $7 or so at the local hardware store. Outside exit tube end has to be lower than the inlet end.
RAX914
Harbor freight has a few inexpensive options

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(RAX914 @ Jul 28 2023, 07:23 PM) *

Harbor freight has a few inexpensive options

Click to view attachment

Recently bought the Harbor Freight electric $12.99 one shown and the end was too big to go in my original 1974 tank. The other two inexpensive ones should do the trick but have not tried them.
driving.gif white914.jpg
SirAndy
In the past, i found that using a fuel pump hooked up to 12v works really well ...
shades.gif
Dustin
Tube and gravity.
930cabman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 28 2023, 09:29 PM) *

In the past, i found that using a fuel pump hooked up to 12v works really well ...
shades.gif

agree.gif simple and effective
brant
Gravit at the fire wall also.
Take the feed like apart at the firewall
Big gas can below the car with the car in the air
Finish the end with the pump if necessary
76-914
The HF one that is $5.99 is a POS. The rubber ball begins to deteriorate in less than a year and the flap aka check valve warps rendering it useless within 6 months. I can piss faster than it transfers fuel when it is new and working. headbang.gif
NARP74
I have used three different options depending on the situation. Hard wired the in car pump, either at a relay or direct wire, don't overheat it. A clicky clack as VGG calls them, RoadKill too, or a jiggler hose. All three worked for the situation at hand.
TheCabinetmaker
I used a piece of hose and mouth suction to start the siphon when I was younger.
NARP74
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 29 2023, 09:25 AM) *

I used a piece of hose and mouth suction to start the siphon when I was younger.

Have you tasted the gas lately???
r_towle
All done, spilled some…replaced fuel pump check valve and filter.
I’m gonna hold off on the strainer until I get an accurate fuel gauge…got some issues.

It starts again, hot, cold…as it should ( better than before)

So I’m almost done with my 3 cars and two lawn mowers fuel issues this season…..changing gas stations.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 29 2023, 02:11 PM) *

Not in the last 50 years
fixer34
Too late for OP, but I got one of the HF $4.84 tranfer pumps to drain a gas tank in a Chevy Blazer before having to drop to replace the in-tank fuel pump. Worked really well.
That was 10 years ago, used the same pump recently to drain the power steering resevoir on my daughter's Tahoe. still worked like a champ.
windforfun
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 29 2023, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jul 29 2023, 02:11 PM) *

Not in the last 50 years

I knew a guy back in the eighties who used his mouth & got a mouthful. He was sick for a month.

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.