Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Dunc
Hello All,

I seem to recall that someone on the site was fabbing steel targa tops, but my searches have come up empty.

Is anyone out there selling steel targa tops? Thanks.
davep
Not cheap at $4000 for the parts and up to 12 months wait. However, it is very interesting and may order one myself. I don't know if there is any economy in scale if 2 or more can be on order at once. Anyone else interested?
Now to find someone capable of installing the roof correctly.
mepstein
$3600 if you pay in full.
914Sixer
Or you can go to wrecking yard and cut the top off any car that is close to the curve and easily worked to fit. Some have used 924, 944 for the metal sunroof. Also George at AA did a photo layout on how to make one from scratch. Maybe he can repost pictures to Classic section.
76-914
IIRC, someone posted that they used a lightly 914 modified trunk lid. beerchug.gif
Dunc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2023, 06:58 AM) *

$3600 if you pay in full.

Thanks for the info. Is it bolt on or weld on?

Dunc
Dunc
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 29 2023, 06:27 AM) *

Not cheap at $4000 for the parts and up to 12 months wait. However, it is very interesting and may order one myself. I don't know if there is any economy in scale if 2 or more can be on order at once. Anyone else interested?

is the installation welded or bolted?

Thanks for the info, by the way.

Dunc
mepstein
QUOTE(Dunc @ Jul 31 2023, 11:26 AM) *

Dunc

It’s gets welded in.
Literati914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 29 2023, 09:23 AM) *

IIRC, someone posted that they used a lightly 914 modified trunk lid. beerchug.gif

Brilliant! I love that kind of obvious solution.

mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 31 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Just like Root works use of a 944 top, it’s all going to take a ton of fab work and welding.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2023, 12:54 PM) *

Just like Root works use of a 944 top, it’s all going to take a ton of fab work and welding.

Sure - but a lot less of it than going from a flat sheet w/ no structure - it seems like a head start to me confused24.gif .
rjames
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 29 2023, 07:21 AM) *

Or you can go to wrecking yard and cut the top off any car that is close to the curve and easily worked to fit.

Easily? Maybe for some. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 31 2023, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2023, 12:54 PM) *

Sure - but a lot less of it than going from a flat sheet w/ no structure - it seems like a head start to me confused24.gif .

I’m no fabricator but I’m not sure I would agree with you. The targa top actually has some subtle but complex shapes going on and might be quite different from the rear trunk shape. So changing that shape with the trunk ribs already in place might be quite difficult and maybe not very effective. Sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch and duplicate the original structure rather than trying to adapt some other part. At least the 944 top is a top. Lay the trunk lid on top of the car and see if it looks like a top. I’m not feeling it.

I thought $3600-4k was high for a steel top until Ben told me he thought it was reasonably priced. He is a welding and fab expert and careful with his money. If he’s telling me it’s a good deal for what it is, I’m going to believe it.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2023, 07:42 PM) *

.. but I’m not sure I would agree with you. ..

I’ve noticed that.. like every single time actually biggrin.gif . Agree to disagree then. Let’s quit high jacking this man’s wtb.
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 31 2023, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2023, 07:42 PM) *

.. but I’m not sure I would agree with you. ..

I’ve noticed that.. like every single time actually biggrin.gif . Agree to disagree then. Let’s quit high jacking this man’s wtb.

Your right beerchug.gif but I can't image why my wife calls me stubborn. biggrin.gif
Dunc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2023, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Dunc @ Jul 31 2023, 11:26 AM) *

Dunc

It’s gets welded in.

Thanks
Dunc
[quote name='Dunc' date='Aug 16 2023, 08:33 PM' post='3096087']
[quote name='mepstein' post='3092690' date='Jul 31 2023, 08:42 AM']
[quote name='Dunc' post='3092686' date='Jul 31 2023, 11:26 AM']
[quote name='davep' post='3092313' date='Jul 29 2023, 06:27 AM']
[/quote]

Dunc
[/quote]
It’s gets welded in.
[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote

My gf is thumbs down on welded installation. These days, I think that someone could 3D an existing top and fab it. My goal is to gain frame stiffness. Maybe a good solution is to fab a tube frame, mount the hold downs to the frame, and mount the top to the frame. Thanks for all the input.

Dunc
partwerks
Seems like a couple years ago, a Gentleman was going to start making some, for a group buy?

mepstein
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 14 2024, 04:27 PM) *

Seems like a couple years ago, a Gentleman was going to start making some, for a group buy?

Tangerine Racing list them for sale (special order)
MikeK
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2024, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 14 2024, 04:27 PM) *

Tangerine Racing list them for sale (special order)

What did the framework look like on the original 916 roofs? It seems a roof skin wouldn't do that much to stiffen anything without structure to mount it to.

If the goal is to add stiffening, I would thing a tube arrangement would be best.

If the goal is to have it look like steel, get out the DA sander, cut down the texture and make it smooth.

brant
After using the DA sander
You will need to have the panel gel coated to avoid spider cracks
That’s what I did
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.