Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Chemical Dip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
I follow this YouTube channel and have been hoping they would dip a 914. Surprisingly good shape under that paint. I was wondering if just the windshield hoop would be left biggrin.gif. Enjoy!

Having trouble embedding for some reason…here is the link:

1974 914 Dip
barefoot
Wow, pretty rust free However, they don't show under the rockers.
Will have to cut them open to replace heater tubes
FL000
Something very satisfying about watching these types of videos. Agree it is pretty clean.
Shivers
Wouldn’t that be nice. I grew up next to Irwindale raceway and as a young man I got into 1/4 mile. All the body parts that you could unbolt were sent to be dipped. Not to remove paint but to lighten the sheet metal. I wonder how much weight the tub will lose?
bob164
I remember in the early 70s the Pro Stock drag racers would strip all the paint off the exterior, let ti sit outside for months then sand off the rust to lighten the chassis.
930cabman
QUOTE(bob164 @ Jul 30 2023, 12:56 PM) *

I remember in the early 70s the Pro Stock drag racers would strip all the paint off the exterior, let ti sit outside for months then sand off the rust to lighten the chassis.

Wasn't there a debate regarding Danica Patrick's weight? She is a little thing and won races partially due her lightweight.

Watch what you have for breakfast
Cairo94507
What a great way to start a project. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 30 2023, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(bob164 @ Jul 30 2023, 12:56 PM) *

Wasn't there a debate regarding Danica Patrick's weight? She is a little thing and won races partially due her lightweight.

Watch what you have for breakfast

Danica won races?
mepstein
I’m a big believer on getting the car chemically dipped. It’s the only way to clean up all the inside layers of metal. Our cars really do rust from the inside out, particularly where the seams were spot welded. Any time you weld metal, it’s going to burn off all the protective coatings. However, once you dip the car, now it’s 100% raw metal and you have to e-coat it to get that protective layer back on every seam and inner layer. Sprayed on primer and paint won’t recover the metal that the chemical dip exposes. So plan on another $3-4k to get the e-coat done.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 30 2023, 08:45 AM) *

I follow this YouTube channel and have been hoping they would dip a 914. Surprisingly good shape under that paint. I was wondering if just the windshield hoop would be left biggrin.gif. Enjoy!

Having trouble embedding for some reason…here is the link:

1974 914 Dip

wow thats really cool, pretty good for a 50 year old car, i guess some work was done in the past before the repaint, with that brazing etc, that will be a super nice car when completed, hope the do the e-coat like Mark said. will be better than new.
rick 918-S
I agree with the E-coat process. I did this Mercedes for a friend.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
That is a very cool video!

The only car I've had dipped was a 356. I remember they had to drill a few holes in the fenders to let air escape. A major process for certain.
HarveyH
Sold my car (too much back pain; stenosis and scoliosis) in September 2019 to a guy on Long Island, and I believe this was my car. I recognize the patch of missing paint where the left front fender merges into the front trunk opening, behind the rope. Also the mounting holes and harness pass through where I put the Crane multi-spark unit in the right side of the rear trunk.
I've emailed him asking if he still has the car and if it's this one. We'll see.....
Harvey

It's my baby.... clap23.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 31 2023, 11:51 AM) *

That is a very cool video!

The only car I've had dipped was a 356. I remember they had to drill a few holes in the fenders to let air escape. A major process for certain.

Yea, they drilled a hole in the roof of my 67. They told me ahead of time. Jared filled it in for me.
Rogerz33
Just saw that channel! Nice vids there
MikeK
Is there anyone in the Rocky Mountain region chem dipping cars?
Eric_Shea
I wonder what the heater tubes look like inside the longs... huh.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 7 2023, 09:44 AM) *

gone after the acid dip probably but how well can the acid be neutralized in those spaces as well?? that could cause a whole new set of issues too i would think.
i guess i would want to open the outer clam shell do all the treatment and then replace teh tubes and close it back up.

Bigdamdork
I love this channel
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 7 2023, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 7 2023, 09:44 AM) *

gone after the acid dip probably but how well can the acid be neutralized in those spaces as well?? that could cause a whole new set of issues too i would think.
i guess i would want to open the outer clam shell do all the treatment and then replace teh tubes and close it back up.

It gets neutralized in another big tank through the same holes that the acid enters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.