Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad genuine ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rrrockhound
Like the title says. I had reason to believe my old ignition switch was failing, so I ordered an OEM Porsche one from our hosts and installed it a couple of weeks ago. I started the car with it probably less than a dozen times when suddenly it wouldn't start anymore. I drove myself crazy trying to track down the fault when finally I traced it back to the switch. When I swapped the old switch back in, the problem was solved. Now I'm skittish about ordering another one. If an OEM part lets you down after less than a dozen uses, do you roll the dice on another one? headbang.gif
914Sixer
It is really had to get a grip on how much of Porsche parts are now made in China. Missing the old German QC. Try one of the Standard Motor Products switches
nditiz1
I buy the cheap ones. I think 914rubber makes one that they sent over 10,000 starts through. Just buy that one AND make sure you have the Ford relay upgrade. Should last past this lifetime.
draganc
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 30 2023, 03:09 PM) *

I buy the cheap ones. I think 914rubber makes one that they sent over 10,000 starts through. Just buy that one AND make sure you have the Ford relay upgrade. Should last past this lifetime.

What’s the “Ford relay upgrade” please?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(draganc @ Jul 31 2023, 12:05 AM) *

@draganc
Here- ford solenoid/relay , its kind of a hot start fix, but reduces the amount of current needed to crank the starter, but also reduces the current going to the ignition switch.
- as everyone always says, make sure all cables are in good condition and grounds, because its possible that you are not getting full amount of current from the good battery to the started to fire the solenoid, which on the stock one takes a higher amp than does the ford one. i just went thru this with a combination of bad china ignition switch and a failed aftermarket starter and solenoid. - btw i bought 3 new ignition switches and 2 were from Germany- one was Myle , also the standard motor products one seems to be fine. Porsche does source some parts from other suppliers using china, have to see whats stamped on the switch.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...308904&st=0
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 31 2023, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Jul 31 2023, 12:05 AM) *

@draganc
Here- ford solenoid/relay , its kind of a hot start fix, but reduces the amount of current needed to crank the starter, but also reduces the current going to the ignition switch.
- as everyone always says, make sure all cables are in good condition and grounds, because its possible that you are not getting full amount of current from the good battery to the started to fire the solenoid, which on the stock one takes a higher amp than does the ford one. i just went thru this with a combination of bad china ignition switch and a failed aftermarket starter and solenoid. - btw i bought 3 new ignition switches and 2 were from Germany- one was Myle , also the standard motor products one seems to be fine. Porsche does source some parts from other suppliers using china, have to see whats stamped on the switch.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...308904&st=0

Could you explain the standard motor products one? The one I see on their webpage doesn't look anything like what goes in a 914. Is there a part number?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jul 30 2023, 12:07 PM) *

Like the title says. I had reason to believe my old ignition switch was failing, so I ordered an OEM Porsche one from our hosts and installed it a couple of weeks ago. I started the car with it probably less than a dozen times when suddenly it wouldn't start anymore. I drove myself crazy trying to track down the fault when finally I traced it back to the switch. When I swapped the old switch back in, the problem was solved. Now I'm skittish about ordering another one. If an OEM part lets you down after less than a dozen uses, do you roll the dice on another one? headbang.gif

Well this just made me slightly depressed.

After I get the new heat exchanger delivered and mounted, finish my hurdle after hurdle door/windows restoration project, I was going to tackle my broken ignition switch.

I ordered a genuine Porsche switch after reading endless threads here and on the Pelican board.

This is the first I've read that the genuine Porsche part is junk. Plenty of commentary on all of the non-genuine Porsche parts ignition switches (made in China) being hot trash.

Uggg.

Please keep us updated on your journey here so we can learn from it.

Thanks,
Kris
windforfun
Talk to George at AA. He'll help you out.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
What do you mean by "ordered one from our host"?
r_towle
If you ordered an ignition switch from pelican, go order a new one from automobile Atlanta.

Btdt

Rich
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jul 31 2023, 07:03 PM) *

After I get the new heat exchanger delivered and mounted, finish my hurdle after hurdle door/windows restoration project, I was going to tackle my broken ignition switch.

I ordered a genuine Porsche switch after reading endless threads here and on the Pelican board.

This is the first I've read that the genuine Porsche part is junk. Plenty of commentary on all of the non-genuine Porsche parts ignition switches (made in China) being hot trash.

Uggg.

Thanks,
Kris

i found several german made switches, i put one in the car and 2 in the tool box that i keep in the car.

here is a link for a german made one-

https://partworks.de/en-en-en-en-partworks-...ion-switch.html

my original one was in the car still until last year, then replaced with a cheap one, lasted 2-3 months had to replace it, put in a used one but OEM german from a local mechanic looked new, no issues with it. when the car didnt start due to a failed solenoid i thought it was the ignition and pulled it and put in another but found the solenoid was issue , so i have new german one in car, used one in the box as a spare, with no issues since putting that in along with my original starteer and solenoid. but i might do the ford relay install for some extra piece of mind. just remember the new starters that are out there their soleoids are nto good, i had 2 fail in 2 months time.

DRPHIL914
Bilistein makes one Meyle makes one both German ,
TheCabinetmaker
What year is your car? Makes a difference.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 1 2023, 07:25 AM) *

Uggg.

Thanks,
Kris

i found several german made switches, i put one in the car and 2 in the tool box that i keep in the car.

my original one was in the car still until last year, then replaced with a cheap one, lasted 2-3 months had to replace it, put in a used one but OEM german from a local mechanic looked new, no issues with it. when the car didnt start due to a failed solenoid i thought it was the ignition and pulled it and put in another but found the solenoid was issue , so i have new german one in car, used one in the box as a spare, with no issues since putting that in along with my original starteer and solenoid. but i might do the ford relay install for some extra piece of mind. just remember the new starters that are out there their soleoids are nto good, i had 2 fail in 2 months time.

@DRPHIL914

Thanks for sharing the link.

I put a couple of these switches in my cart and when I go to check out via PayPal it says the sellers does not ship to my country. When I try to pay with a credit card it prompts me to enter my shipping info, but the United States is not listed in the country drop down menu (but seemingly all other 190+ countries are listed). I filled out a "contact us" form to find out what's going on.

Did you buy your switches directly from this site or did you buy them through a re-seller?

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Aug 1 2023, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 1 2023, 07:25 AM) *

Uggg.

Thanks,
Kris

@DRPHIL914

Thanks for sharing the link.

I put a couple of these switches in my cart and when I go to check out via PayPal it says the sellers does not ship to my country. When I try to pay with a credit card it prompts me to enter my shipping info, but the United States is not listed in the country drop down menu (but seemingly all other 190+ countries are listed). I filled out a "contact us" form to find out what's going on.

Did you buy your switches directly from this site or did you buy them through a re-seller?

one i used that site, but the other 2 im not sure now, it might have been Auto atlanta for one , and the other i think was FCP Euro, or maybe Stoddard's or Sierra Madre.

Phil
Al Meredith
I suggest going to any VW venders , They sell a relay kit that us old guys that had VW's back in the day all installed that relay to our stater circuit . I have one on my 914 ,would not go with out one . AL
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 1 2023, 08:25 AM) *

What do you mean by "ordered one from our host"?

Brain fart, thought I was posting on the Pelican board.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 1 2023, 12:26 PM) *

I suggest going to any VW venders , They sell a relay kit that us old guys that had VW's back in the day all installed that relay to our stater circuit . I have one on my 914 ,would not go with out one . AL

@Al_Meredith

Al, is that the same thing as the ford solenoid addition?

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.