Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warp Drive Ready to Go
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
windforfun
"73 1.7. This thing flies in 2nd gear. It goes into warp in 3rd gear. What a great day to be alive!!! Now if I can just keep my weight down.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
wonkipop
mr. spock would be right at home in that rig.
+ he could enjoy offering reason and logic as the parameters for his superior judgement over others and their wheels. beer.gif while dismissing their emotions (and secretly smirking at his own repressed joy that he never need admit to).
windforfun
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 1 2023, 06:45 PM) *

+ he could enjoy offering reason and logic as the parameters for his superior judgement over others and their wheels. beer.gif while dismissing their emotions (and secretly smirking at his own repressed joy that he never need admit to).

My thoughts exactly. Well put. He might be a little too tall for the car with the targa top on. BTW, they painted the USS Enterprise the exact same color.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 2 2023, 04:41 PM) *

My thoughts exactly. Well put. He might be a little too tall for the car with the targa top on. BTW, they painted the USS Enterprise the exact same color.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
thats so spot on.
914 is the moonshot car.
starts rocking out the door at the k factory the moment n armstrong wiggled his boot in the lunar dust and buzz a jumped around like a kangaroo in 1/6 gravity.

i was mesmerized by star trek.
can you imagine a 6 year old sitting in front of a tv at the first neighbour in the street with a tv in far north queensland while they were burning sugar cane fields and getting beamed this stuff from the USA like it was from another planet.........
along with woody woodpecker. because all this tech did not hit me or my little town until approx 1965.

you guys were already way out in front, but we got this stuff streamed in to a stone age world. ..
along with i might add the total weirdness of japanese childrens tv. the ninja thing and the samurai show. shintaro the samuria. this is l20 years after the burma railway and the bridge over the river kwai and the horrors of WW2. and all the damage that did to aus serviceman.

my childhood was more surreal than you guys could ever imagine.
like a post war pacific ocean soup.

but it made me love the 914 instantly.
its so not europe. its so new germany.
and all the rest of it.

captain kirk would probably still love a cadillac or a corvette. but mr. spock is made for the 914. mr. spock is the kind of weirdo that made sense of the 1960s.
at least down here in the bottom of the world.

keep beaming yourself up @windforfun beerchug.gif beer3.gif

ps.
thats why i loved creamsicles but i guess i will never own one.
they are the color scheme of the commanders moon suit post apollo 11.
they added the red stripe to the commanders suit so they could tell which astronaut was which while they were watching them on tv from mission control.
its like the red duct tape on the windscreen of #40 at le mans.
( @Maltese Falcon )
white and phoenix red = astronaut on the moon. at least for me.
gereed75
Really looking great Windfor. There is something about the whole package of a clean running four. It just screams German efficiency and tech. Especially in Auto Union silver (or Marathon Blue, the color of my first one)
So different and far ahead of any thing offered at the time and styling "where no man had gone before".

Definitely a package that just sucked in my budding engineer brain back in the day.

I think you are glad you kept it. Enjoy the ride!
Shivers
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 3 2023, 03:31 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 2 2023, 04:41 PM) *

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
thats so spot on.
914 is the moonshot car.
starts rocking out the door at the k factory the moment n armstrong wiggled his boot in the lunar dust and buzz a jumped around like a kangaroo in 1/6 gravity.

i was mesmerized by star trek.
can you imagine a 6 year old sitting in front of a tv at the first neighbour in the street with a tv in far north queensland while they were burning sugar cane fields and getting beamed this stuff from the USA like it was from another planet.........
along with woody woodpecker. because all this tech did not hit me or my little town until approx 1965.

you guys were already way out in front, but we got this stuff streamed in to a stone age world. ..
along with i might add the total weirdness of japanese childrens tv. the ninja thing and the samurai show. shintaro the samuria. this is l20 years after the burma railway and the bridge over the river kwai and the horrors of WW2. and all the damage that did to aus serviceman.

my childhood was more surreal than you guys could ever imagine.
like a post war pacific ocean soup.

but it made me love the 914 instantly.
its so not europe. its so new germany.
and all the rest of it.

captain kirk would probably still love a cadillac or a corvette. but mr. spock is made for the 914. mr. spock is the kind of weirdo that made sense of the 1960s.
at least down here in the bottom of the world.

keep beaming yourself up @windforfun beerchug.gif beer3.gif

ps.
thats why i loved creamsicles but i guess i will never own one.
they are the color scheme of the commanders moon suit post apollo 11.
they added the red stripe to the commanders suit so they could tell which astronaut was which while they were watching them on tv from mission control.
its like the red duct tape on the windscreen of #40 at le mans.
( @Maltese Falcon )
white and phoenix red = astronaut on the moon. at least for me.

It was a good time to be alive. My uncle bought a new 1970 and it was so 70’s. Other than seatbelts you were on your own.

Really nice looking car. Mine came with a 1.7 and it was lacking.
flipb
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 3 2023, 06:31 AM) *

914 is the moonshot car.

Wait, is this actually a thing? Were the first cars assembled in July as Apollo 11 was visiting the moon?
wonkipop
QUOTE(flipb @ Aug 3 2023, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 3 2023, 06:31 AM) *

914 is the moonshot car.

Wait, is this actually a thing? Were the first cars assembled in July as Apollo 11 was visiting the moon?

yep
and they were hand building the pre productions when apollo 8 was discovering the earth as it came around the backside of the moon in 68/69.

but lets not forget the great gene cernan. the first man to not land on the moon, apollo 10 and the last man to leave the moon - apollo 17.

thats all happening in the k factory right when it happens on cocoa beach. beerchug.gif

its the start and the end. bothprojects live and die over the same moment in time.
in terms of when they become visible. and happen visibly.
if you include skylab - which is just using up left over apollo surplus. which is kind of what 76 914s were. using up stuff left over.

of course all the astronauts got special deals on corvettes.
but they shoulda been driving 914s?

i guess that makes a 924 a space shuttle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.