Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Degree of Difficulty? Replacing Rear Floorpans & Base of Inner/Outer Firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
Need some advice, looking at a 914 that overall structurally is in good shape except for the Rear Floorpans and Base of Inner/Outer firewall (Pics attached.) Is these repairs pretty difficult (1-10 scale) for someone thats has the skill set to weld/fabricate these areas and estimated cost if I was to have someone to do the labor? Is this something I should walk away from? There doesn’t appear to be any frame damage and the cars measurements all pull to stock specs. There is no engine/transmission which I would be replacing with either a built 2.0L or similar drivetrain. Suggestions…….hell hole and longs look good also the other troubled areas look good or have been addressed. Also one has to factor in how much my cost is starting off which is below $4500. Thoughts? Thank youClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we virtually do these once a week, not difficult what so ever, just make sure to do a thorough job coating the welds the pans and installing the correct floor pan tar and painting and also lightly undercoating with the correct products
9144me2enjoy
George thank you for your expertise comments, appreciate it.
Front yard mechanic
Passenger side long has some rot. You will need to remove the triangle to repair that portion also more than likely the firewall will need some kind of repair. Looks doable for the cost you are suggesting. Good luck
Superhawk996
Run away as fast as you can unless you enjoy metalworking as a hobby unto itself. If you pay someone to do the metal work properly - you’ll be underwater in no time at all.

That chassis is further gone than it looks

$4500 is no bargain without an engine and trans/driveline

There are there more complete - less intense projects listed right now on the classified.

Here’s one that is reasonably close to you
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=366184
mepstein
Ask George how much he charges for that repair. You might be surprised. There’s always more once you dig in.
9144me2enjoy
Expect the worse, hope for the best always seams like the best way to weigh into these ventures. The 72 mentioned that is for sale has its own problems too. I feel like the one I’m looking at has potential if it can be bought right in the $3500 neighborhood and I work on the rust issues myself. Not having a drivetrain isn’t an issue to me because I have drivetrains I can transplant into it providing I can get the rust issues resolved without busting the bank. Thanks again for your opinions based on your experiences. Appreciate it. I forwarded a message to George to get an estimate of what his shop would charge for the repairs.
rjames
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 2 2023, 11:57 AM) *

Expect the worse, hope for the best always seams like the best way to weigh into these ventures. The 72 mentioned that is for sale has its own problems too. I feel like the one I’m looking at has potential if it can be bought right in the $3500 neighborhood and I work on the rust issues myself. Not having a drivetrain isn’t an issue to me because I have drivetrains I can transplant into it providing I can get the rust issues resolved without busting the bank. Thanks again for your opinions based on your experiences. Appreciate it. I forwarded a message to George to get an estimate of what his shop would charge for the repairs.

Unless there is something special about the car, $3500 for just a frame that needs a lot of work doesn't sound like a good neighborhood to be in.

The one Superhawk996 linked to would be a better deal. If you already have a full drivetrain, you could sell what you didn't need and come out ahead of what it would cost you to fix and complete the rusted out one.
DaveB
For replacing the floor boards - it's what George said.

I saw something in your picture that I wanted to point out. The frame under the hell hole behind the jacking point may need to be replaced or repaired. On mine, I ground the cover sheet metal off to find everything inside rusted. After dipping, you can see the damage from the hell hole which leads right into this area.

Tap the metal around that area in the 914 and listen for the thud when you go over the area I pointed out.

Click to view attachment

Sitting out in the Dalles for years ate out the 914 I picked up. It's not difficult to replace this damage if you have the time and place for it. If you can drill or punch an 8mm hole and do a rosette fill you're 90% there. Once all the paint and bondo was removed, I ordered about $4K in sheetmetal. I'll have several hundred hours into the bodywork when I'm done. I say that I'm on the extreme side of repairs, your milage may very...

DaveB
9144me2enjoy
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCgzPzJR1crVeWQ47
930cabman
I would walk away
9144me2enjoy
Dave thanks for the insert thoughts! I agree with you guys 100%…..914 World family has saved me thousands of dollars in the past on potential investments and directed me in the right direction. Priceless information.
Dustin
nm
9144me2enjoy
You guys have hit on a lot of good points agree.gif time to walk away from this money pit, too many better candidates out there to explore. Thank you
Superhawk996
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 2 2023, 05:51 PM) *

You guys have hit on a lot of good points agree.gif time to walk away from this money pit, too many better candidates out there to explore. Thank you

smilie_pokal.gif

I don’t think you’ll regret that decision.

I sincerely hope that car is saved by someone. However it needs to be priced appropriately and it needs the new custodian to be someone that really enjoys metal work as its own reward.
930cabman
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 2 2023, 03:51 PM) *

Check back with the seller in a month or two. At that point see how hungry he is? maybe offer $1.k

But be prepared to either dig in up to your elbows or open your wallet pretty wide
914work
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 2 2023, 09:13 AM) *

not difficult what so ever,
biggrin.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
JoeDees
I agree with previous comments in that replacing the floor pan is really easy, but the long and likely the suspension mount are not. I’d consider that a $1500 car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.