Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I like to see...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Two quick questions for the hive mind...

1. The trunk/engine compartment bulb is a bitty thing... doesn't throw out much light. On the offchance I ever *need* that light, I'm going to want as much light as I can get. My raintray is still in place, so I don't anticipate brighter being a distraction at night.

The item in question is:
Porsche 900.631.103.90 (12v, 4w)
Sylvania 3893
OSRAM N177172

Can anyone recommend a brighter option that won't damage the small housing?

2. What kind of protective film are all the cool kids using for turn-signal lenses and headlights? These things aren't getting any cheaper and if I'm going to replace the turn signal lenses with NOS units, I'd like them to last.

Thanks,
Rusty
mepstein
Just carry a good led light in your glove compartment. No matter what bulb you use in the trunk light, it’s not going to shine on the area you need.
Rusty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2023, 10:05 AM) *

Just carry a good led light in your glove compartment. No matter what bulb you use in the trunk light, it’s not going to shine on the area you need.

I'll do some research on these mythical flashlight thingies... but that wasn't the question. laugh.gif
87m491
Not terribly difficult, this or similar.

IPB Image

QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 2 2023, 07:25 AM) *

Two quick questions for the hive mind...

1. The trunk/engine compartment bulb is a bitty thing... doesn't throw out much light. On the offchance I ever *need* that light, I'm going to want as much light as I can get. My raintray is still in place, so I don't anticipate brighter being a distraction at night.

The item in question is:
Porsche 900.631.103.90 (12v, 4w)
Sylvania 3893
OSRAM N177172

Can anyone recommend a brighter option that won't damage the small housing?

2. What kind of protective film are all the cool kids using for turn-signal lenses and headlights? These things aren't getting any cheaper and if I'm going to replace the turn signal lenses with NOS units, I'd like them to last.

Thanks,
Rusty

euro911
Have you thought about running a strip of self-adhesive LEDs somewhere across the inside of the trunk lid? ... (and tie the wires into the stock trunk light's wiring?)

I did this in my Vanagon so I'd have plenty of light if I needed to work in the engine bay at night ...

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 2 2023, 07:25 AM) *

XPel stuff is good for this. I've had it suggested to me for many applications by Larry at AmmoNYC
eric9144
Replaced mine with one of these, bonus is low draw and low heat generation--pick the spectrum of color you want out of it and probably never have to replace it again.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/catalog/pro...lb-base-6959503

They have a bulb finder feature on that site and I had great luck with it beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 3 2023, 07:01 AM) *

Have you thought about running a strip of self-adhesive LEDs somewhere across the inside of the trunk lid? ... (and tie the wires into the stock trunk light's wiring?)

I did this in my Vanagon so I'd have plenty of light if I needed to work in the engine bay at night ...

Click to view attachment

agree.gif great idea,you could just solder the tails of the led strip on to the original light so you retain switching function ,should work great as no led lamp in the light will ever be that great .
Thinking I will do it on my car .
euro911
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 2 2023, 12:53 PM) *
Replaced mine with one of these, bonus is low draw and low heat generation--pick the spectrum of color you want out of it and probably never have to replace it again.

They have a bulb finder feature on that site and I had great luck with it :beer2

The BA9 bulbs won't fit the 914's OEM trunk light fixture:

Click to view attachment

They take the Festoon type of bulb:

Click to view attachment

There IS an LED replacement for the festoon bulbs:

Click to view attachment

I have the LED Festoons in my Vanagon Westy and they're very bright. However, the 914's trunk light fixture has a really small lens, so even with the LED bulb, it won't illuminate the trunk very much shades.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 2 2023, 01:11 PM) *

XPel stuff is good for this. I've had it suggested to me for many applications by Larry at AmmoNYC

Thanks. I'll check them out. I used Lamin-X on my F150 headlights. It was very pricey and difficult to work with on compound curves.

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 2 2023, 01:53 PM) *

They have a bulb finder feature on that site and I had great luck with it beerchug.gif

I appreciate that, sir. Thank you for the recommendation. I saw similar bulbs on eBay, but trust the experience around here over some random Chinesium salesman. smile.gif

I think that's a really neat idea. I could see that working for the engine bay. Not sure about the rear trunk. My wiring harness has... ummm... challenges from previous owners and years of neglect and overspray. I try to keep electical alterations to a minimum for my car.
Rusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 2 2023, 07:04 PM) *

@euro911

My 1973 trunk light fixture uses a bulb like eric recommends. Could there be multiple type fixtures out there?

Years ago at a swap meet, I picked up a bag of OSRAM 6418 bulbs still in the original packaging. They resemble what you recommend, but aren't what fits in my car.
Chris914n6
2. DON'T PUT ADHESIVE ON PLASTIC. Just buy a cheap set for driving and keep the NOS for shows.
I wouldn't put it on the headlights either.
euro911
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 2 2023, 07:25 PM) *

I think that's a really neat idea. I could see that working for the engine bay. Not sure about the rear trunk. My wiring harness has... ummm... challenges from previous owners and years of neglect and overspray. I try to keep electical alterations to a minimum for my car.
It was just a suggestion, but installing LED strips in the engine compartment and both trunks would provide a lot of useful light idea.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 2 2023, 07:29 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 2 2023, 07:04 PM) *

@euro911

My 1973 trunk light fixture uses a bulb like eric recommends. Could there be multiple type fixtures out there?

Years ago at a swap meet, I picked up a bag of OSRAM 6418 bulbs still in the original packaging. They resemble what you recommend, but aren't what fits in my car.
Yeah, sounds like a P/O changed the light fixture in your trunk.

VW and Porsche, as well as other older German marques use the 6418 bulbs for the interior courtesy lights too. 911s (and optional on the 912s) also had them in the front trunk light fixtures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.