Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Hub Centric rings with Mahle rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Do you need rear hub centric rings with Mahle rims on the rear hubs? 75 914
Dave_Darling
No. The rear hubs do not have hub centering surfaces on any year 914, so you can use any year 914 wheels on them.

Plus, the Mahle wheels are all 73+ wheels, so you can use them on the 73+ front hubs any way. They're just an issue if you try to use them on the earlier hubs.

--DD
Geezer914
My question is should you use hub centric rings on the rear hubs? Are they necessary with aluminum rims?
technicalninja
No you don't. All 914s, Steel or aluminum wheels, did not have centering rings on the rear.

Porsche has used hemispherical lug bolts/nuts (some call this bubble) mounting which centers the wheels pretty well.

If you use shank/washer style wheel fasteners, then hub centric is a requirement.
Toyota and many others use shank/washer and I believe this is the strongest method of mounting wheels as it doesn't try to spread the lug holes in the wheels out. The straight cone style are the worst IMO. Hemis are 1/2 way between each in my book.

The rear wheels are a bitch to mount IMO without studs or centering rings and many people have wheel mounting un-evenness that causes roughness while driving.

In one situation hub centric is VASTLY better. Impacts. A 914 rear wheel is located by the bolts/studs only and they take ALL the force if you nail something with the wheel.
Porsche bolts/studs are big and strong, but a serious accident may shear them.

Hub centric traps the wheel against the center bore and is substantially stronger.

I was pissed I could not use the Tangerine Racing wheel rings when I changed to 5 lug but I received my centering rings for 5 lug from Tomeric914 today.
They look GREAT!
I'm stoked!
He did a KICK ASS job with the machining.

So, the answer to your questions is NO but if you know what you are doing you do so anyway. Not having them would not stop me from driving the car.
I would order a set however...
914Sixer
You can use 911 74-up rear hubs but you have to use modified axles. They have hub centric built in.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 2 2023, 06:43 PM) *

My question is should you use hub centric rings on the rear hubs? Are they necessary with aluminum rims?

Only if you have a rear wheel vibration that won't go away after balancing the wheels.
There is enough play in the lug bolts that they often don't center the rim well enough to eliminate vibrations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.