Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributer Driveshaft Orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cassmcentee
Getting my main bearings delivered today so I am a day away from dropping my crankshaft in.
Having read my manuals multiple times and reading what I could find here in the forum... IS THIS THE CORRECT PLACEMENT OF THE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVESHAFT FOR ME TO DROP THE CRANK IN?
Getting nervous wacko.gif
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you drop the drive in after the case is assembled and the haynes manual has a good photo of the correct off center orientation
GregAmy
...and don't forget the washer...
cassmcentee
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 3 2023, 09:12 AM) *

you drop the drive in after the case is assembled and the haynes manual has a good photo of the correct off center orientation

Thank you, I have 3 manuals... Clymer - Haynes - Tom Wilson's "How To..."
Mr. Wilson advises to install it at this point.
I figure to get past the fear of losing the washer into the case.
Regardless, by looking at my picture, is this the correct position whether installed before or after? I believe it is... looking for confirmation...
Here is Tom Wilson's diagram
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
And here is Clymer's and Haynes' diagrams/pics
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
Just a thought...
It seems to me that it would be so much easier to get the correct positioning before the case halves are connected, while I still have easy access!?!
Montreal914
I remember following the instructions shared above, i.e. install after case is closed. Followed the Haynes manual. If you are off by one tooth in either direction, it will be obvious and will not look like the Haynes picture. Using a strong magnet or a long pair of skinny needle nose plier in the hole you can pull it out and reposition accordingly. Straightforward operation. As you insert it in, it will naturally rotate as it slide on the fixed helical gear on the crank, I remember doing it a couple of times to get to the right final angle.

On my friend's 914, I flipped it around 180 degrees as it was installed off that way. This was while the engine was in the car. Seems like this is somewhat a classic mistake... confused24.gif
rfinegan
Do not forget the spring before installing the distributor too.
cassmcentee
Thank you both! (Spring is there)
BTW... That is the Cerakote "Transfer Grey" on the Case and Cylinders.

Still would like someone to confirm from my first picture that I have the correct orientation. To some, the manual's representations are enough, but I have just enough doubt to ask again...
Jack Standz
Yes, that's how it's supposed to look when the engine / case is all together with everything at TDC.

Maybe more important is to make double sure the crankshaft and camshaft are positioned correctly and not binding, thrust / endplay on the crank/cam is correct, etc. If you're off on the distributor drive, you can always correct it later, but not so with the crank and camshaft positions.

And don't forget to put a distributor in, or something in the bore, as that distributor drive can/ will fall out as you rotate the motor during the assembly process. Put some assembly grease or lubrication on the distributor drive too.

But, yeah, I always put mine in at the point you're at.
cassmcentee
Thank You Jack!!!!
Distributor driveshaft is lubed.
Lubed distributor will be in place, have painted my marks on the crank and cam to make it so I don't have to wear my glasses.
rfinegan
yeah looks right. One tooth makes a big jump in the angle and you will notice right way. now or later for the install both are ez. Just use a dot of assembly lube on the washer as you install.

IF worried turn the engine upside down with the 2 half together and intall from underneath / up( washer can not fall off that way)
cassmcentee
The bearings were delivered earlier than anticipated
Timing couldn't have been any better!
It was so easy to push out and rotate the distributor driveshaft with the cases apart.
A spare distributor is holding it in while I clean another one for use.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.