Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil (related) sending units for the 2.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
The 2.7L six I have (in process of installing in my 914) has an oil pressure OR temp sender at the back part of the engine (flywheel end) and is missing the one on the front (fan end). I don't know which is for Pressure and which is for temp - can someone clear it up for me? Also, which sender (and guage) should I use for the back? Oh, I actually have an oil pressure guage already..do I need a certain sending unit for it?

Doug C
goose2
The sender by the fan is temp...other one is pressure. There's a pressure sender that has dual function...idiot light and gauge. I don't know which gauge to use with which sender, but a safe choice would be to use a gauge from the same year car as the motor.
Cap'n Krusty
The red one near the flywheel end (right beside the thermostat) is the pressure switch for the light. Take note that the red switch has a different thread (and a washer) than the black or white ones found on 2.0-2.4 motors, and is NOT a direct swap. The one near the fan housing is the temp sender. Use a temp sender that is matched to your gauge. The 914 one will fit if you have the stock gauge. If you want a pressure sender for a gauge, the 2.7 has it in between the case and the right cam oil line, screwed into a steel block. A matching gauge is required, and there are more than one sender/gauge sets. The Cap'n
DougC
Well Cap'n, you lost me with "red one", the one that's currently mounted back by the flywheel is a big aluminum cylinder with one electrical barb out the top. I imagine the info you gave is probably the same though..So, since I already have a pressure gauge (left over from the car's type 4) and I already have this pressure sender, I should be set - or are you saying that they may not be compatible? Oh, and where does a CHT sending unit mount?

Doug C
Porsche Rescue
I am in exactly the same place dealing with exactly the same issues. I have a cyl. head temp gauge left from the car's days as a four. It has been my assumption that it would not be used on the six.
I am installing a 911 oil temp/pressure combo gauge from a 2.7 911 and putting my fuel gauge elsewhere. I figure senders for the 2.7's of the same or near year should operate the gauges and warning light. Cap'n?
DougC
Let me see if I understand (again)..
The temp sensor is up by the fan and under the Pressure sender (for the Gauge) which is on a block for the oil line for the cam tensioner. Then there is another Pressure sensor back by the flywheel which relates to the "idiot" light.. Do I have that right? Where does the CHT sensor get mounted?

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.