Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iansale
I'm finally getting to the point of building up my new engine (1.8l) and am ready to get the clutch components ordered. Have a few questions, though, before I get started:
1) What is the best way to determine if the flywheel off my old engine needs to be resurfaced, replaced, or neither?
2) Can anyone recommend a source for a clutch set? I was looking at Pelican and Performance. Prices seem about even and both sell Sachs kits.
3) I am assuming that a Sachs set is fine for performance street purposes? Would I be better off with something else?

Thanks for any help.
SirAndy
call rich at HPH and talk to him.
i bought my clutch stuff (including flywheel) from him and he was very helpful ...

Andy
Mark Henry
The flywheel needs to be resurfaced (ground) if it has any gouges, bad rust, etc. Put a straight edge across it, if it is flat and clean it can be reused. If it is real smooth take a bit of sandpaper and take the gloss off of it.

If it needs resurfacing first you will need to determine if it can be reground. It can only be resurfaced so many times and unfortunately being 30 years old it may not pass spec.

The dimension between the step and the disc surface should be 22.5mm (.886) and from the disc surface to the crank bolt surface should be no less than 11mm (.4330)
You can cheat on the last dimension by grinding up to .080 off of the bolt heads but after that you SOL and it's new (or good used) flywheel time.

Your old pressure plate "might" be reusable if it is flat across the face and in good condition. Sachs is good for all but super (180+hp) hipo apps. Get the 911 disc.

Don't forget a new pilot bearing and felt washer, they don't come with the kit.
smash.gif
iansale
Thanks for the info, Mark. Very helpful.

Andy, who is HPH?
seanery
High Performance House
Rich Bontempi's shop-he is member here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.