Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 trans drip question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nate W
I recently installed a 914-6 trans tail cone so I could use the 6 shift rods on my 2.7 6 cylinder conversion. Now that it’s in, it’s leaking even with a mostly empty trans (drained before installing but still has residual oil). The PET shows a rubber seal where the shift lever comes out of the transmission for the 4 and 6 trans. My 4 cylinder trans has it but not the 6 cyl part, and it doesn’t look like it has a recess for the seal either. Does anyone with a 6 trans know if they have this seal? Also if there is a seal, looks like I can probably remove this with trans in the car still, correct? As always I appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from this site!
Thanks

6 trans
Click to view attachment
4 trans

Click to view attachment

Leak after 1 day
Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment

It looks like # 53
Nate W
Thanks Shivers that is the seal in question, I just can’t see how it would install when the metal bushing already sticks out slightly from the trans case. Maybe I need to see if I can tap it in further to make room for the seal
Shivers
QUOTE(Nate W @ Aug 5 2023, 07:24 AM) *

Thanks Shivers that is the seal in question, I just can’t see how it would install when the metal bushing already sticks out slightly from the trans case. Maybe I need to see if I can tap it in further to make room for the seal

I have seen seals over the years that had a steel cap to protect the rubber from impact. I bet that is your seal. Your new seal may not have the steel cap.
Dr Evil
That is an old seal that has a metal outer bushing. The whole thing is pulled out and a rubber coated seal is installed where the metal is not visible. Same concept, different design.

To remove, you will need to pull the back bottom cover, drive out the roll pin for the dongle that is on the shift rod. Once the pin is out, you can remove the shift rod by sliding it out of the dongle and the housing. Then, using a hook type seal puller you can just pull the old one out. The new one is the same for the 914 and you can just put a light bit of oil on the outside and push it in. Install your rod, slide the dongle on, roll pin, cover gasket, cover, and done. If you need a little video, I have a disassembled 6 tail cone I can use to show you.

I have a bunch of these in stock, even though the kits I use come with them. I also have new cover gaskets, and stainless hardware for the cover if you want. DM me as I wont see replies here unless I am on looking for them.
Nate W
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 5 2023, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Nate W @ Aug 5 2023, 07:24 AM) *

I have seen seals over the years that had a steel cap to protect the rubber from impact. I bet that is your seal. Your new seal may not have the steel cap.

Thanks for the idea Shivers, you are right and Dr Evil confirmed the same thing, older style seal with metal protector. I’ve never seen that, learn something new every day
Nate W
Thank you both, really helpful. Ordering parts for this from Dr Evil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.