Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aeginc77
I am been using 914 world for awhile seeking help on various things. Today, I thought I'd post about removing the fuel tank. Thanks to another member I was encouraged to take on this task in order to replace the German fabric covered rubber hoses that cannot tolerate ethanol. I was surprised how simple this task is. After syphoning out the fuel you remove the expansion tank, then unplug the fuel gauge, remove the holding strap and the tank comes right out!

A couple of observations for anyone that is going to do this. First, you do NOT need to remove the access panel under the car as indicated in the Haynes manual. There is enough slack in the lines to remove them when you lift the tank out. Second, make sure you mark the hoses! My 914 is a 75 with D Jetronic fuel injection so there are two lines to/from the fuel tank. One goes to the fuel filter, the other is the return (damper). I marked the lines on the tank but failed to note which hose went where where they connect to metal lines going through the passenger compartment! Also, replacement lines are 5/16 with the SAE R30 7 spec to resist ethanol. There is also a 1/2 inch line of about 2 feet that goes from the fuel filter to the fuel pump yet the line from the fuel pump is 5/16. Why? I have no idea.

Hope this helps someone!
windforfun
Thanks for the input. As a side note, you don't need to pull the tank to replace it's lower hoses. You can do it through the large hole above the access panel. Of course you do have to remove the access panel.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
mepstein
At least on early cars, there’s definitely no slack to remove the tank with the lines still attached, unless longer lines were installed at some point. Factory lines were short.
rjames
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2023, 12:12 PM) *

At least on early cars, there’s definitely no slack to remove the tank with the lines still attached, unless longer lines were installed at some point. Factory lines were short.

Yup, and it's seemingly a fine line between too short and too long so they don't kink.
mepstein
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 5 2023, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2023, 12:12 PM) *

Yup, and it's seemingly a fine line between too short and too long so they don't kink.

agree.gif
sbsix
Did the very same thing two weeks ago on my 1970. I watched Ian Carr’s YouTube video and he suggested the fuel lines from the front bulkhead to the tank at about 22 inches in length. That proved to be the correct length to have enough to connect to the fuel tank while it was out. Fun stuff!
MikeK
What is the orientation of the fuel taps in the tank? Is the supply line forward or back and does it matter?

Also, on what side is the supply vs. return? I believe mine had supply on the passengers side.

Thanks!
r_towle
QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Aug 5 2023, 01:34 PM) *

I am been using 914 world for awhile seeking help on various things. Today, I thought I'd post about removing the fuel tank. Thanks to another member I was encouraged to take on this task in order to replace the German fabric covered rubber hoses that cannot tolerate ethanol. I was surprised how simple this task is. After syphoning out the fuel you remove the expansion tank, then unplug the fuel gauge, remove the holding strap and the tank comes right out!

A couple of observations for anyone that is going to do this. First, you do NOT need to remove the access panel under the car as indicated in the Haynes manual. There is enough slack in the lines to remove them when you lift the tank out. Second, make sure you mark the hoses! My 914 is a 75 with D Jetronic fuel injection so there are two lines to/from the fuel tank. One goes to the fuel filter, the other is the return (damper). I marked the lines on the tank but failed to note which hose went where where they connect to metal lines going through the passenger compartment! Also, replacement lines are 5/16 with the SAE R30 7 spec to resist ethanol. There is also a 1/2 inch line of about 2 feet that goes from the fuel filter to the fuel pump yet the line from the fuel pump is 5/16. Why? I have no idea.

Hope this helps someone!

You removed the tank
If you replaced the screen on the fuel line in tank, that line goes to the fuel pump , the other line is the return from the back of the car.

The other tunnel line connects to fuel filter, fuel pump, then tank

When removing tge tank I always cut the lines once I have pulled up the passenger side far enough to get my arm underneath.
sbsix
Supply line from the tank has the filter sock. The nuts that tighten the tank fittings on the bottom of the tank only fit their corresponding size fitting. You’ll see once you loosen and take them off.
Both supply and return fuel lines reside in the passenger side of the tunnel.
76-914
You can also avoid kinking the line if you index the fuel nipples to a more agreeable angle. And like Rich said, lift out the R side first and keep it tilted that way so you won't need to drain the tank completely. I always leave a couple of gallons in the tank.
Steve
QUOTE(MikeK @ Aug 5 2023, 05:20 PM) *

What is the orientation of the fuel taps in the tank? Is the supply line forward or back and does it matter?

Also, on what side is the supply vs. return? I believe mine had supply on the passengers side.

Thanks!

The return line is closest to the seam (middle). The supply line is bigger and should have a metal hose screen on the end that goes inside the tank.
930cabman
Didn't see it mentioned, but drain it prior. A hand pump will work to get things moving
MikeK
QUOTE(sbsix @ Aug 5 2023, 08:46 PM) *

Supply line from the tank has the filter sock. The nuts that tighten the tank fittings on the bottom of the tank only fit their corresponding size fitting. You’ll see once you loosen and take them off.
Both supply and return fuel lines reside in the passenger side of the tunnel.

The fittings for my 70 came in a box, apart from the tank, so I have no reference as to which threaded boss they were removed from. Also, both of the fittings I was given are 8mm externally. The return I has a smaller, inner diameter. I understand that this isnt original as it originally had a 10mm supply and 8mm return.

The tank has a front and rear threaded boss. Which is the supply? Does it even matter?

The front of the tunnel has two holes, driver and passengers side, where the fuel line is routed through the firewall/bulkhead. These both run on the passengers side of the tunnel, but through which hole does the supply line route, drivers or passenger?

I really don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I’d like to route it as it originally was from Porsche.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(MikeK @ Aug 6 2023, 10:34 AM) *

The fittings for my 70 came in a box, apart from the tank, so I have no reference as to which threaded boss they were removed from. Also, both of the fittings I was given are 8mm externally. The return I has a smaller, inner diameter. I understand that this isnt original as it originally had a 10mm supply and 8mm return.

The tank has a front and rear threaded boss. Which is the supply? Does it even matter?

Yes, it matters. The one that is closer to the seam is the return. Inside the tank there is a extension pipe about 2 inches long on the return line fitting. I think it was to make sure the gas at the pickup is not hot fuel that just returned from the engine compartment.

QUOTE(MikeK @ Aug 6 2023, 10:34 AM) *

The front of the tunnel has two holes, driver and passengers side, where the fuel line is routed through the firewall/bulkhead. These both run on the passengers side of the tunnel, but through which hole does the supply line route, drivers or passenger?

I really don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I’d like to route it as it originally was from Porsche.

If you put it in the same way the factory did, then the return line is on the driver's side of the car. That way it matches the connections on the bottom of the tank and the lines don't cross.

sbsix
Here’s a picture of the front bulkhead with the fuel tank removed. The supply line has the fuel line to the tank showing.
MikeK
Thanks to the both of you. That clarifies things 100%.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.