Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Lens Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
I have an original set of Cibe Z Beam Headlights that I bought in the mid 70's.
Since sitting in storage the reflectors have rusted and the chrome peeled in places.
I'd like to remove the lenses and either replace the reflectors with ones
from different lights or try to get the original reflectors repaired..
I've seen YouTube video's that show people taking apart newer plastic headlights
and replacing the lenses by putting the housings in the oven..?
But haven't seen one where the old 7" round reflectors were removed..

Anyone ever done this.?

I'm aware of LED Headights but I would rather have my Z Beams back..
914Sixer
They are glued on IF I remember correctly. Not sure how to break seal.
johnhora
I've done it before with a sharp utility knife....working around the grove between the glass lens and the reflector....lots of patience....the glue is kind of a white material and seems to become very hard on older lamps.
Did this to save a good lens glass....never had good luck with trying to save the reflector...they start shedding the chrome layer especially when trying to separate from the lens...think still I have a lens or two around.
Good luck on the project..just take your time.
windforfun
I've worked with glass all my career for everything from A - Z applications. I strongly suggest going with the new LED versions unless you're looking for a big project with a damn good probability of partial success. Re glass & metal reflectors (mirrors). 914s are meant to be driven & not repaired.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. I think they're at that age now where keeping them stock is getting difficult & of perhaps dubious returns. Perhaps.
Jamie
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 6 2023, 01:55 PM) *

I've worked with glass all my career for everything from A - Z applications. I strongly suggest going with the new LED versions unless you're looking for a big project with a damn good probability of partial success. Re glass & metal reflectors (mirrors). 914s are meant to be driven & not repaired.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. I think they're at that age now where keeping them stock is getting difficult & of perhaps dubious returns. Perhaps.

I also support switching to LED's for much improved illumination with less load on the antique wiring harness. The LED's almost look like original glass lamps and don't show until you turn them up! happy11.gif
gandalf_025

Someone on another forum sent me links to
some threads on Rennlist to do exactly what I
wanted to try..
I already own the lights..
Mikey914
You have nothing to loose if they are unservicable now.
Post up what you do.
gandalf_025
Because Mark asked, i’ll post what I did..
First I preheated the oven to 300 degrees and
once up to temperature I put the lights in, one at a time.
After 10 minutes I took them out and stuck a metal putty knife
in between the lens and reflector..
They came apart very easy..
I did all 4 lights.. The Cibe set and a donor set for the reflectors.
Cleaning up the left over glue now and will order the adhesive they
recommended on Rennlist..
I’m going to clean up the lenses and put them through the dishwasher
and we will see how they work..?

Click to view attachment

Root_Werks
Nice update! Wouldn't have thought about the oven trick.

Keep us posted how they clean up and go back together.
gandalf_025
I was really surprised how easy they came apart.
The original Cibe lenses look fine but the reflectors are toast. The Donor lights were repro cibe's that looked good on the outside, but when apart you could see the real Cibe's were cut glass as the cuts and angles were sharp and crisp. The repro's look more like pressed glass in the same pattern but nowhere as sharp. The old lenses fit the new reflectors perfectly .
The recommended adhesive per Rennlist is "Mortimoto buthyl tape" that comes in grey or black. They recommend grey. Found it on e-bay for 20.00 and free shipping.
Reassembly heats the oven to 260 F and after applying the tape to the lens.. Heat for a while and press together.. I'll be ordering the tape in a few days an go from there..

i would have really hated to lose these lights.. I've had them for almost 50 years..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
The adhesive came in yesterday, today I scrubbed the lenses and then ran them through the dishwasher.
The adhesive was too thick, so I cut a piece to length and cut it into 1/4’s. I fit the adhesive into the groove on the lenses, pressed the reflector on in the right position
and put them back in the oven at 266 degrees F for 7 minutes and took them out and seated the lens into the reflector..
Seems to have worked..
It will probably be years before I actually put them back into my car… But I’m calling Victory at this point and moving forward..

Here is the final result..

Click to view attachment
r_towle
I hope your wife did not see you do that !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.