Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergeny Brake works but doesn't..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
My car was previously a race car with a nice 2.0L engine and already had a 5 lug conversion when I got it. The rears I believe are just drilled 4 lugs.. anyway, my emergeny brake works - that is it holds the car solid from moving when I pull it up. Problem is, the handle won't stay up (keep those jokes to your self) by itself. I think it's missing the half round ratching parts. I never looked closely at it because I just assumed there was more to it because of the 5 lug conversion. Could it be I just need those ratcheting pieces...why would someone remove them. I need a schematic of the handle and ancellery items.

Doug C
tat2dphreak
2-piece (early) handle or late, 1-piece?
DougC
I think it's a one piece.... the car's a '73 model.

Doug C
john rogers
I had this happened to our 1974 a long time ago and it was the teeth on the handle had lost their sharp edges. I removed the handle and used my handy Dremel tool to sharpen them and also the stopper that it goes against and it worked fine afterward.
lapuwali
Here's a semi-related question. I have a '71, which I assume had the early e-brake handle. It has no ratchet at all, it seems to be held up by a friction lock or something (I've never really looked closely). Was this the diff between the early and late handles, or is mine just missing the ratcheting part?

Will a late handle bolt up in place of an early handle?
mightyohm
The early type has a ratchet also. The ratchet might still be there but the clicks might not be very noticable if it's all gunked up.
goose2
Problem is, the handle won't stay up (keep those jokes to your self) by itself.

It's awful tempting, but I'll restrain myself. My handle has no ratchet either but stays set by friction ('73). I have the same questions as lapuwali.
bjorn jacobson
If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong all together, the e-brake handle is not supposed to stay in the "erect" position when it is engaged. You should pull it up and it will engage but the handle would return to the down position, easier to exit the vehicle with it down. Don't take my word for it. I havn't used mine in almost ten years. Maybe try some WD-40 on the handle where the ratchet attaches, I have seen them rust and seize up.

Good luck,

BJ
agrump
I just fixed mine (73 late style). The ratchet piece was missing. Under the handle, closer to the front of the car should be a blind nut welded to the brake bracket. The ratchet peice should be bolted onto that. The ratchet part is piece #12 in the diagram. Picked one up from AA for $8.50.
Jaiden
I totally agree with BJ.
After setting the E-brake the handle can lower so that exiting and entering the drivers seat is possible.

I bet that if you lift the handle it will stop at about 45 deg and then you apply pressure and push the unlock button. At that point the arm will lower but with tension since your releasing the brake. The same should be said for applying the brake you pull it up with tension but once the locking button sets you can let go of the handle and eith push it down your self or if it is loose it will fall down on it's own.

If it does not "lock" on the way up and you have tension on the way down you have a problem with the lock mechanism AKA teeth or such.

Just my input.
bondo
Only the early style doesn't stay "erect". The later ones are just like any other parking brake lever.

I had the same problem on Adobe, but the ratchet parts were all there. The handle itself was bent in a funny way, such that the movable toothed thing didn't quite line up with the half circle toothed thing, so they would miss and end up next to each other and not hold it up. I tried to fix it a few times, but gave up because it would still work if I pushed it to the side as I pulled it up. I sold it that way, so maybe vesnyder will chime in on how he fixed it (if he has yet).

As to why someone might remove the ratcheting bits... goofing off with e-brake slides? smile.gif
rickso71
My '71's handle (two-piece) is kind of quirky but works fine. I need to push the button at the end of the handle a couple of times when I want to raise or lower the brake handle. The button releases the ratchet inside the handle somehow.
EdwardBlume
This area can get fairly rusty. If it is rusty, take the handle off, clean, inspect, and reinstall. The pivot point can be a little tough at first. On a '73 the lever definately stays up but not so far that it gets in the way.
bd1308
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 17 2005, 09:57 AM)
As to why someone might remove the ratcheting bits... goofing off with e-brake slides? smile.gif

just keep the button pushed in....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.