Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
enf2232
Fuel pump is bad and needs replacement. We can replace with original 3-port in original mounting location or update and relocate to the frunk? What are your opinions?

'72 with non-original engine. 1.7 upgraded with larger displacement cylinders, original fuel injection.
brant
3 port pumps are hard to find, expensive to rebuild now a days...
most people will replace with a 2 port pump because they are available and relatively cheap

2 port + 100$ or less
3 port + 400$ or more

the relocation to the front (done by the factory in 1975) helps reduce the chance of vapor lock. but were you experiencing vapor lock in the past during hot days?

the big bore cylinders mean you might also need 2.0 injectors to move more fuel.
or increased fuel pressure.... but you need to use an AFR wide band to tell and to adjust your MPS for the the new displacement.

not adjusting means running lean and increased wear or damage to your new motor.

VaccaRabite
Move to the front.
Replace with a 2 port pump. They make the routing of the fuel lines so much easier!

Zach
JamesM
2 port in the front
enf2232
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 8 2023, 12:54 PM) *

3 port pumps are hard to find, expensive to rebuild now a days...
most people will replace with a 2 port pump because they are available and relatively cheap

2 port + 100$ or less
3 port + 400$ or more

the relocation to the front (done by the factory in 1975) helps reduce the chance of vapor lock. but were you experiencing vapor lock in the past during hot days?

the big bore cylinders mean you might also need 2.0 injectors to move more fuel.
or increased fuel pressure.... but you need to use an AFR wide band to tell and to adjust your MPS for the the new displacement.

not adjusting means running lean and increased wear or damage to your new motor.

There was one incident when I might have had the occurrence of vapor lock. Stalled and had trouble restarting but waiting a while and it started. That was before engine work.

I can't speak to the injectors right now. Lets assume the mechanic that did the engine work knew what he was doing and changed at that time. I will review parts to verify.
Dustin

I've heard this before. But, why does running lean lead to increased wear or damage?
brant
Air cooled motors are much less heat consistent than a water cooled motor
This is the reason they have to run lower compressions than a water cooled motor

Lean will increase heat and also increase pre detonation
IE : a hole in your piston and higher operating temperatures
The fuel mixture is responsible for a portion of your head cooling
Air cooled motors like to run rich and hate to run lean
porschetub
QUOTE(Dustin @ Aug 9 2023, 06:49 AM) *

I've heard this before. But, why does running lean lead to increased wear or damage?

Lean condition will make the car run poorly ,but the worst problem is overheating and resulting high oil temps ,this also leads to cylinder head failure ,burnt /broken exhaust valves and valve seats that come loose .
Engine oil will become too thin and not provide sufficient lubrication to bearing ,
IMO probably the worst thing to happen to an aircooled engine .
brant
Agreed
The worse thing you can do to it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.