Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GrayMatter
has any one seen or done a 944 turbo engine in a 914? i talked to Scott at RH and he mentioned that it may be too tall to fit, but I was just wondering if anyone else has done this?

TIA!
GM
lapuwali
From what I've heard, it's not so much height as length. The 944 engine is LOOONNNGG, and won't fit between the bellhousing and the firewall.
ArtechnikA
the issue is not that it is too tall, but that it is too long; it's basically half a 928 engine. fitting a 928 engine can be done (it's been done) but there is a lot of fabrication involved.

the 944Turbo is a very fine car, and the 944Turbo engine is a very fine engine, but for most people it fails the "bang for the buck" test. it's not popular enough for there to be adapter plates to commonly used midengine transaxles, so you get to fabricate that. you need to design an implement water plumbing.

for most people, if you need to add a radiator anyway, "you couldda had a V8."

a 944T would still qualify as a Porsche engine for PCA event purposes -- but you're pretty much on your own for engineering the conversion, which will be neither cheap nor easy.

if you've got the time, effort, skills, and money, go for it!
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 16 2005, 02:59 PM)
From what I've heard, it's not so much height as length. The 944 engine is LOOONNNGG, and won't fit between the bellhousing and the firewall.

agree.gif which reminds me,
EASY has a clean looking 928 engine as well as a 2.2E /6 on the shelve, both just came in ...

cool.gif Andy
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 16 2005, 05:03 PM)
the issue is not that it is too tall, but that it is too long; it's basically half a 928 engine. fitting a 928 engine can be done (it's been done) but there is a lot of fabrication involved.

the 944Turbo is a very fine car, and the 944Turbo engine is a very fine engine, but for most people it fails the "bang for the buck" test. it's not popular enough for there to be adapter plates to commonly used midengine transaxles, so you get to fabricate that. you need to design an implement water plumbing.

for most people, if you need to add a radiator anyway, "you couldda had a V8."

a 944T would still qualify as a Porsche engine for PCA event purposes -- but you're pretty much on your own for engineering the conversion, which will be neither cheap nor easy.

if you've got the time, effort, skills, and money, go for it!

I would HATE to be the one to change the waterpump on a 944 engined 914, that would be a joy you would have on a fairly regular basis.

Of course you could just mount the motor in the front trunk, move the gas tank to the current engine compartment, and then use the 44 transaxle, but that only make sense BEFORE I take my medication lol2.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Aug 16 2005, 07:46 PM)
you could just mount the motor in the front trunk, move the gas tank to the current engine compartment, and then use the 44 transaxle, but that only make sense BEFORE I take my medication

exactly. if you want a 944, just buy a 944. they have their quirks but so do 914's. basically they're pretty nice cars. 944T people tend to have inflated ideas of their cars are worth in the resale market, but that doesn't mean they aren't nice cars...
GrayMatter
Thanks for the info. I was asking because my friend offered me his car at a big discount before he puts it on the market and I figured that if I parted it out, it could be basically a free engine. Oh well, back to the "drawing board" as it were.

Cheers!
GrayMatter
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 16 2005, 02:03 PM)
a 944T would still qualify as a Porsche engine for PCA event purposes

This is what I am looking for, but being a previous CSOBOSC member, I am trying to avoid the high prices I've seen for a Porsche /6 engine with around 225hp - 250hp.

along those lines, anyone know how large of an engine a T3 turbo can be used on? (wheels grinding away again ohmy.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.