Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you know where my father's car ended up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
samuelpena22
Hey there, everyone. Hope you're doing well.
I literally just registered to be able to post this, so I hope something good comes out of it.

The following are the only pictures I have of my father's 914/6, of which I don't have a VIN number or any information regarding its whereabouts since he sold it in the late 70s (around Houston).

I'm not particularly close to my dad anymore, and I don't intend to ask him about it, but I do remember him telling me that his 914/6 had probably been the rarest car he'd come to own, because, according to him, it was an original GT.

He raced it regularly on a number of tracks around the US, specially in Laguna Seca (seen in photo no. 1), and sold it after some short years of ownership seeking funds to cover new business opportunities.

I don't know what happened to the car, who bought it, if it remains covered in dust in a farm somewhere or if it really was a museum-worthy piece.

I'd appreciate any info on where it ended up or if there is any certainty that it was, in fact, an original GT. Happy to hear your thoughts on this one!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
The VIN number will be important to try and track it down.
Or, his racing buddies
BillJ
Did you have a sister? And was your dad into judo?
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Hi, just a couple things I can see are no fuel cap access thru the hood, no hood pins, I do not see a role bar and the interiors were spartan on the GTs. I can see high back seats and standard seatbelts, something I would not expect to see in a GT. Maybe it was an m471 equipped 914-6.
Rusty
I hope you can find your car... but a word of advice: manage expectations.

I searched and found my very first 914 after about 25 years. It had been neglected and was in terrible shape. The pictures were kind of heartbreaking for me because I had lots of cool memories in that car. I regret selling it to buy a 944. sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 9 2023, 06:56 AM) *
Hi, just a couple things I can see are no fuel cap access thru the hood, no hood pins, I do not see a role bar and the interiors were spartan on the GTs. I can see high back seats and standard seatbelts, something I would not expect to see in a GT. Maybe it was an m471 equipped 914-6.

agree.gif
At first glance, it doesn't look like a real GT. The 916 front bumper also doesn't look like the real deal, although it looks much better than most newer reproductions.

Anyways, i hope you get some more info on the car ...
welcome.png
Bullethead
Good luck with your search, although you could simplify the task by just asking your dad.

It's clearly not a GT, and from the two pics you provide, was more likely tracked at DE's, not raced. Looks like a nice street car sporting a repop 916 front bumper. BTW, that first image is most definitely NOT Laguna Seca... betting it's Texas Speedway.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is certainly not a GT and has aftermarket front bumper and rocker panels on it and may even have fiberglass flares.

Will be impossible to track down without the original id number, I would suggest calling your Dad and having a heart to heart with him and go from there

QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 08:56 PM) *

I literally just registered to be able to post this, so I hope something good comes out of it.

The following are the only pictures I have of my father's 914/6, of which I don't have a VIN number or any information regarding its whereabouts since he sold it in the late 70s (around Houston).

I'm not particularly close to my dad anymore, and I don't intend to ask him about it, but I do remember him telling me that his 914/6 had probably been the rarest car he'd come to own, because, according to him, it was an original GT.

He raced it regularly on a number of tracks around the US, specially in Laguna Seca (seen in photo no. 1), and sold it after some short years of ownership seeking funds to cover new business opportunities.

I don't know what happened to the car, who bought it, if it remains covered in dust in a farm somewhere or if it really was a museum-worthy piece.

I'd appreciate any info on where it ended up or if there is any certainty that it was, in fact, an original GT. Happy to hear your thoughts on this one!
mate914
Agreed.
Matt.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 9 2023, 12:10 PM) *

it is certainly not a GT and has aftermarket front bumper and rocker panels on it and may even have fiberglass flares.

Will be impossible to track down without the original id number, I would suggest calling your Dad and having a heart to heart with him and go from there

QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 08:56 PM) *

JeffBowlsby
This is one resource, perhaps of limited value to you.

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/car/car.html
NARP74
Don't know anything about your situation and they are all different. However, after ghosting my dad for years and then him passing away, and now me having children, I would be crushed if they did that to me. Be brave, take take the high road and at least ask for a VIN.. Good luck.
tpines
I don't know your situation with your Dad but my hope is you'll ask him and you guys can grow closer. We never know how much time left we have with our parents and we should show them all our love while we can.
Van B
QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 11:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That photo is Texas World Speedway in College Station, TX… north of Houston. I know that track like I know my living room. But it too is gone. Turned into a housing development.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.