Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 conversion feedback
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
I’m not new to 914World, I’ve had several over the years most all with stock drivetrains, one with a Fats (Rimco) 2056 engine and another 2056 build from Raby’s Type 4 (Aircooled Tech.) Great builds but I’ve been wanting to swap in a Subaru or Chevy power plant. On the fence on what would be the best recommended way to go on a 914 engine swap conversion. I would love to hear back from members who have actually done any of these conversions, there thoughts and rather they wished they would of went a different route etc.. I was looking at the STI EJ2.0L and EJ 2.5L along with the non aspirated EZ30D engine along with going with a Subaru drivetrain. As far as SBC conversions etc. I’ve a 75-914 that has the original 1.8L drivetrain and a second 1.8L that has low mileage with fuel injection which I’m planning on just setting aside. I realize anytime you go from Porsche drivetrain to water doesn’t help the value on todays or tomorrows market usually but this is going to be a play vehicle not a trailer queen. Looking for good power/torque 225hp-300hp along with a modern trans etc.. I think if I do most of the work I can keep it under $15,000.00 investment. What usually cost is body/rust work repairs etc. which is in good shape. I know Renegade Hybrids carry a lot of conversion parts for these conversions vs 15 years ago when they were hard to find. From experience I know your usually way ahead on dollars and loss of sleep if you can find one already converted but finding the right one isn’t always that easy or within your price range. I haven’t ruled out working with what i have (1.8 engines) and just buying one of Rabys 2056 kits $7,000.00 or 2270 kits $7495.00 or even a 2563 kit $11,255.00 and having a reputable Type 4 builder put it together. Probably would have a minimum of $12-15,000.00 tied up in the engine vs going water cooled. Dollar for dollar better investment. Thoughts…..thank you
Steve
Check out watered down 914's on facebook. Tons of information. I own a 3.2 six with a 916 gearbox and a SBC conversion. The renegade radiator works awesome and the car runs cool. Regarding the trans with the SBC, I had Dr. Evil build me a trans with stock 2nd, O for 3rd, X for 4th and HA for 5th. Of course I start out in 2nd and all the gears feel perfect. In 5th, I run 70 and 2500 rpm's and around 80 at 3k rpms. I'm running stock height 25" tires. Everyone that went Cayman S for the trans with LS or SBC says its the way to go, but for now I took the easy way out. Otherwise it seems most people are going the subi route with the EZ30D and subi drive train.
9144me2enjoy
Steve thanks for the feedback….I’ve seen your V8 website, beautiful car and beautiful build. I’m sure your happy with the V8 conversion. Your right it seams like most are being swayed to the EZ30 route and Subi 5-speed trans. I’ve learned whatever route one takes do it right and do it once and don’t cut corners. In the process of joining Watered down 914s on Facebook, looks like a wealth of information driving.gif Thanks Roy
Robarabian
I have an absolute gem EJ 20 turbo Subaru conversion, all Renegade parts. It is dyno at 300 and we limited the torque number to preserve the 901. 22 lbs of boost at full throttle, it is a go kart. There are people who did the conversion themselves, and I think the hardest part is the wiring as long as you stay 901. But there are people who make a plug and play harness for the suby to 914 I believe for around 1500 bucks. My advantage is 30 mpg on the highway when my foot isnt in it. I have a spare 5 speed suby transmission in my shed for the "one day" but I start out in 1st. We limited torque to build as the car is moving.

IT is nimble and retains the character of the original car with the boxer setup.
mepstein
I’ll be selling my uncompleted eg33 conversion. All the parts are there, it’s just not assembled. More coming soon.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=260612&hl=
9144me2enjoy
Sounds like a great build with the EJ20 and the 901. I plan on defiantly going with a a Subi trans to match it up. I’ve never been happy with the 901 trans even when they’re operating properly but then again I haven’t ever had one rebuilt by Dr Evil either. Will be picking your brain on your build later, thanks.
9144me2enjoy
Will be getting in touch, thanks
mb911
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Mepstein I will be watching your EG33 conversion.

He is selling his not completing it
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 10 2023, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Mepstein I will be watching your EG33 conversion.

He is selling his not completing it

beerchug.gif

Too many projects right now. Something has to go. If I found someone who could complete the project for me, I would keep it.
9144me2enjoy
Message sent to Mepstein about what he has. Thanks
76-914
Don't forget to answer the 3 group questions and agree to the group rules when submitting your application @ Watered Down 914's. Otherwise the FaceBook computer will drop your app in 1 hour. Also, check out Subaru Powered Porsche's on Facebook. Jeff Robenolt is the admin and makes harness'. Send him your OEM harness from the donor car and he'll cut it down to fit the 914 for ~$500. He will re-flash your ECU for ~$50. I wired my 1st conversion. I bought his harness for the 2nd one. shades.gif I always recommend to buy a running car so you know what you have + you will have the harness/ECU. CO-PART is a good site to watch for a wrecked running car. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Jeff did the harness for my car years ago. Good guy to work with. Much better than smallcar
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for the information…….
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Don't do it

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2023, 08:32 PM) *

I’m not new to 914World, I’ve had several over the years most all with stock drivetrains, one with a Fats (Rimco) 2056 engine and another 2056 build from Raby’s Type 4 (Aircooled Tech.) Great builds but I’ve been wanting to swap in a Subaru or Chevy power plant. On the fence on what would be the best recommended way to go on a 914 engine swap conversion. I would love to hear back from members who have actually done any of these conversions, there thoughts and rather they wished they would of went a different route etc.. I was looking at the STI EJ2.0L and EJ 2.5L along with the non aspirated EZ30D engine along with going with a Subaru drivetrain. As far as SBC conversions etc. I’ve a 75-914 that has the original 1.8L drivetrain and a second 1.8L that has low mileage with fuel injection which I’m planning on just setting aside. I realize anytime you go from Porsche drivetrain to water doesn’t help the value on todays or tomorrows market usually but this is going to be a play vehicle not a trailer queen. Looking for good power/torque 225hp-300hp along with a modern trans etc.. I think if I do most of the work I can keep it under $15,000.00 investment. What usually cost is body/rust work repairs etc. which is in good shape. I know Renegade Hybrids carry a lot of conversion parts for these conversions vs 15 years ago when they were hard to find. From experience I know your usually way ahead on dollars and loss of sleep if you can find one already converted but finding the right one isn’t always that easy or within your price range. I haven’t ruled out working with what i have (1.8 engines) and just buying one of Rabys 2056 kits $7,000.00 or 2270 kits $7495.00 or even a 2563 kit $11,255.00 and having a reputable Type 4 builder put it together. Probably would have a minimum of $12-15,000.00 tied up in the engine vs going water cooled. Dollar for dollar better investment. Thoughts…..thank you

Geezer914
Just my opinion, but what attracted me to own a 914 was the great handling of a mid engined car. Now if you drop in a heavier engine like a Chevy V8, you have ruined the purpose of why the car was engineered. If you want a hot rod, then build a Cobra kit car, or a fox body mustang. Instead, drop in a Porsche 6cylinder or build a larger cu.in. type 4 so not to drastically change the cars handling. You can take an F1 race car and drop in a hemi in the back. It is still going to go fast, but it's not going to handle worth a shit.
Porschef
When I win MegMillions… beerchug.gif

https://www.polomotor.com/

Hot damn…
9144me2enjoy
Very true…..the only drivetrain others than a Porsche drivetrain that I would consider would be a Subi drivetrain. Thanks
mepstein
The 3.3 eg33 weighs the same as a 3.2 Carrera engine. The LS3’s weight less than a 3.6 964 engine. Until you drive a well set up conversion car, you don’t know what you are missing. If weight is a big concern, fiberglass lids and other parts can drop 100-150lbs. Now you are back to late 914-4 weight.
Steve
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 10 2023, 12:05 PM) *

Very true…..the only drivetrain others than a Porsche drivetrain that I would consider would be a Subi drivetrain. Thanks

I agree.. Subi flat six is the way to go. Regarding weight, that's true for an iron block SBC, but not true for an all aluminum LS. An aluminum LS is lighter than a stock 3.0 - 3.6 911 engine.
fasthonda
I would do mine again in heartbeat and I think you would agree if I took you for a ride. It would take a 3.6 conversion to match the performance, and I don't think it would be as fun. Pulling hard from 6 to 9k rpm is exhilarating with Awesome sound. Rebuilding Type 4 and Porsche motors has gotten stupid expensive.
Root_Werks
At this stage in the 914 lifecycle, seems appropriate to leave the aircooled ones aircooled. Even go so far as to say VW/Porsche only engines deserve a spot in a 914.

If you can buy an already converted 914, that's good. Sort of hard to see them cut up for radiators and water hoses these days.
Justinp71
I don't own either swaps but I am versed in the EJ25, sbc and LS motors. I also have a ~300hp flat six conversion. I think the 300hp mark for a street 914 is perfect, for something you want to do some damage on a race track then maybe do LS. But 300hp is more than enough for race track fun. SBC swap now seems archaic, probably better to bump up power in a 2.0. Subaru motors are prone to head gasket leaks but if you get a decent motor they will last awhile. I am a fan of a nice EJ25, they have a great sound too.

I guess what I am saying is I would vote EJ25 or EJ30/33, unless you want some serious speed then maybe LS. The WRX swap was very popular like 10-15 years ago.

The value of the car does not go up much with Subaru builds. It does seem to go up some with an LS build. Something to consider...

Do you want a 914 or just a light quick car?
worn
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 10 2023, 01:18 PM) *

At this stage in the 914 lifecycle, seems appropriate to leave the aircooled ones aircooled. Even go so far as to say VW/Porsche only engines deserve a spot in a 914.

If you can buy an already converted 914, that's good. Sort of hard to see them cut up for radiators and water hoses these days.

Am rebuilding my 4 cylinder car. Rust made it take longer than it would have taken to build an entire house. But it is respect for the marque that drives me.
For driving I have never matched my 3.2 conversion. So much fun to get the power the car deserves. Please keep us posted.
worn
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 10 2023, 04:28 PM) *

Suggestions?
I feel so innocent having only driven the 914.
9144me2enjoy
Justinp71 a lot of good points, I guess I would like to retain the handling of a 914 but with a power range of 250-300hp. If I had the money I would drop a 3.2 Aircooled engine in it but I missed that ship about 15 years ago on cost etc.. Thanks …even looking at going with a Honda S2000 engine 240 hp (326 lbs) with a redline over 8500, hooked to a reworked 901 trans. That sounds like fun!
Justinp71
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 10 2023, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 10 2023, 04:28 PM) *

Suggestions?
I feel so innocent having only driven the 914.

Had an Exomotive Exocet for awhile. 1500 lb car, like an ariel atom. Good setup if you are looking for a modern go-cart track car, they come already stiffened up which is nice.

I kind of agree with Root Works hard to justify converting a 914 these days to water cooled if just looking for a light fast car. I do see the appeal of working with a 914 if you have a good start and prefer the platform overall.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for all the comments/suggestions….food for thought! Happy motoring. Will keep you posted as I start my build.
9144me2enjoy
Question: If one goes with the EZ30D aren’t you better off going with the one with out the black plastic manifold because it has canbus versus the other that does not which is just that much more to figure out. Also better to go with a pull style clutch vs the push style where you don’t have to cut into the trunk to allow clearance for the clutch fork! I guess it depends which transmission one goes with. Thanks Roy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.