Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are you running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Time to start to collect some parts...

OK AX and TT/DE hot dogs. This is for a 1974 2.0L with 205s on 5.5" wheels
What are you running in what combinations.
22-23mm front torsion bars with 180# rears, or 225# rears?
19 or 22 mm front sway bar? Weltmeister or ....?
Koni adjustables, Bilstein sports
What bushing material?
How low do you go? ride height?

wacko.gif

Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 16 2005, 08:27 PM)
OK AX and TT/DE hot dogs. This is for a 1974 2.0L with 205s on 5.5" wheels

Step Zero, as always, is to read The Rule Book and see where any proposed modifications will class the car.

one ill-considered mod can have you running against Tom Provasi and his 3+ liter /6, 15" wide slicks, and custom gearbox for TTOD...
TravisNeff
Koni sport shocks all around
250lb springs on adjustable perches
22mm torsion bars
22mm welt sway bar with tarret drop links

Probably better for the track than AX
Trekkor
Stock torsion bars,
31mm Smart Racing Products front bar,
Rear stock bar,
Koni yellows on adjustable rear perches,
200#rear springs ( run 150#'s for the FOUR )
Engman's inner long stiffening kit.
Turbo Tie rod ends, bump steer kit.

This combo will keep you in PCA-BP on 5.5" rims.

Perfect balance...All day long.

KT
DanT
Trekkor,
What is the rational for running the stock torsion bars with 220# rears. better turn in?
Seems unbalanced to me.
Also most folks get rid of the rear stock bar when they go to 180# or larger rear springs.
Also is that a typo or did you really mean a 31mm front bar?

Artechnika,I know the rule book I helped write it for GGR for the last 2 years.
I am not worried about Tom P. I would have to jack up my car and drive an entire drive train and suspension to get even within a mile of the mods on his car.

Travis,
Your setup sounds good. Why are you using the Tarret links?

I am considering BP as a starting point and might go to FM once I have a new motor.

Thanks for your responses.
Demick
180lb rear springs
19mm adj Weltmeister sway bar
stock torsion bars

Demick
grantsfo
Stock torsion bars
22 mm Weltmiester bar
Koni yellows on adjustable rear perches. Full firm in rear and 3/4 firm in front.
175#rear springs
Turbo Tie Rods, bump steer kit.
Running as much negative camber as I can get with stock mounts.

I'm planning to run 200 # springs or add a rear bar as I still feel the car pushes too much in the slow stuff. Its perfectly balanced in fast transitions. Currently running stock bushings.

Oh yeah you read Trekkors post correctly 31 mm. Trekkors car is incredibly balanced and it generates incredible grip in the corners.

Go for FM or its new equivelent. There is a growing group of BX and FM cars. I'm pretty sure both Albert and I will be in FM next year. Look at results of BP cars over the past serveral AX. There are too many fast 914's for BP cars to break into top placings with the current group of competitors in GGR events.
Trekkor
On Sunday at the a/x, I took a very fast 996 driver for a ride in my car during a "fun run".

He was very impressed. He said my car generated way more lateral G's then his car. He complimented my ability to drive a good line and actually said that if he was to get another car it would be a 914, as they handle so well. smilie_pokal.gif

Good times...

KT
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Demick @ Aug 16 2005, 08:48 PM)
180lb rear springs
19mm adj Weltmeister sway bar
stock torsion bars

Demick

Dan,

Since you're starting with this:

"This is for a 1974 2.0L with 205s on 5.5" wheels"

Considering your "wheels" (5.5), I'd suggest you consider Demick's setup. Maybe add a bit of neg camber. I think it would be a great "balance".

Sounds like you have some experience. Small adjustments can yield big results.

His combo should give you some oversteer with the adjustable front bar on full soft, or stiffen it for some push. Just a guess.

Since specs are being tossed about, FWIW I run 19mm T bars with 22 weltmeister on full soft/250# R springs & Konis on full hard. 205's on 7"F & 225's on 8"R. Good rotation in the slow stuff, but still controllable* at speed. rolleyes.gif

*just don't lift. ohmy.gif unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Joseph Mills
Forgot to mention ohmy.gif

Once you buy some parts, lower the car and corner balance it. biggrin.gif

DanT
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

Yes, I have been thru this stuff before. this is #4. Not to mention 15 yrs of AX.
I have done basically everything that has been suggested so far in some form or other.
My set ups have been for AX and TT in the past . I believe the stock front torsion bars are for better turn-in in quick transitions. Not to mention better rear rotation.
For The big track I believe that some bigger front torsion bars are in order to better balance the front and rear.
Since my car will once again be used for TT and AX I will need a better balance front to rear.
My last 914 was a 6 with a 2.7RS motor.
22mm front bars
adjustable 22mm welt
Bilstein sports
All 911 front end
180# rears with Bilstein sports with adjustable spring perches
4 piston JFZ calipers front and rear
2 degrees neg in front and 3 degrees neg in rear

My other two were 4 bangers with basically a stock front torsions, 22 mm welt, konis
rears were 140# springs with konis and adjustable spring perches. same camber settings as above.
All 3 were in the weeds.

grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 16 2005, 09:12 PM)
On Sunday at the a/x, I took a very fast 996 driver for a ride in my car during a "fun run".

He was very impressed. He said my car generated way more lateral G's then his car. He complimented my ability to drive a good line and actually said that if he was to get another car it would be a 914, as they handle so well. smilie_pokal.gif

Good times...

KT

Trekkor I have been around 914's and AX since the early days of Dwight Mitchell in the 1970's. I have riden in many 914-4s and 914-6's. Your car is one of the best setups I have been in for a releatively basic application of bars, dampers and springs. Your car generates incredible lateral g's considering you have 205/50/15 tires.

My fathers class winning 914 in the 1970's had Koni's 19mm front bar, stock rear bar, stock torsion bars I dont know what he used for springs, but his car was lowered. And I always got a kick when he threw race slicks on the car.
Trekkor
Thanks, Grant. It's really fun to drive this car.
I'm thinking how I can shoehorn 225's under the rears...

KT
eeyore
Last setup:
Front -- 21mm t-bars + Tarett swaybar + Koni yellow
Rear -- 175 lbs springs + Koni yellow
Elephant Racing PolyBronze bushings
(I think this is well balanced, but that's only me)

Next setup?:
Front -- 22mm t-bars + Tarett swaybar + Koni yellow
Rear -- 175 lbs springs + Tarett prototype swaybar + Koni yellow
TravisNeff
I went with the tarret drop links since one of the old welt links was bent, plus it gave me better adjustablility with the right/left heim joints.
Joe Ricard
Stock 19mm torsion bars
150lb coil overs with 1 coil bound with spring rubber
Koni red externally adjustable for rebound all 4 corners
Welt 22mm front bar
no rear bar
Poly front A arm and rear control bushings Fitted with grease zerks
3 3/4" front and 4" rear ride hieght + or -
Diamond Racing 15 x 8 steelies with A compound 205/50-15 Hoosiers
Welt camber plates
Turbo tie rods
bump steer spacers on rack
Wheel studs ont bolts and open end steel lugs
lots of camber all around lots of caster in front
toe out front and no toe rear.

It's a handfull on the freeway @ 85 - 90 MPH (maybe I should slow down w00t.gif
MarkG
Don't AX, street car:

Bilsteins F/R
165 lb rear springs
stock torsion bars
22mm F Sway Bar; OEM rear, it's there but links disconnected
Turbo tie rods (long story - DON'T buy non-OEM ones!)
Weltmeister street bushings
New ball joints
bump steer kit
MoMo steering wheel
Falken 512 195x15 tires on Fuchs
Aaron Cox
AX / STREET CAR

mine:
19mm 911 T bars
~1" Tarett Sway Bar
Koni Reds (ext adjust like the yellows)
Turbo tie rods....
Koni Comp bump rubbers....
new ball joints
new WELT poly bushings

rear-
Bilstein sports
180 lb springs
Stock rear sway

jhadler
Autox and TT car. Occasional street use...

I ran the following setup when the car was running (and winning)...

21 mm torsion bars
22 mm Welt bar
200# coils (adjustable)
Koni Yellow all four corners
Poly bushings front and rear

225/45-15 Hoosiers on 15x8 wheels with 5" backspacing

Grant,

Just a guess here, but one reason you might be getting push with that setup is that the torsion bars might be too soft and you're bottoming out. Also might be caster... Just a guess, but it's coming from a BTDT... I had tired stock torsion bars, and when I went from stock bars and 150# coils to 21mm bars and 200# coils the car was -transformed-. Car was turning in so quick I had trouble not hitting the apex cones. I adjusted though, and loved it!

-Josh2
grantsfo
QUOTE (jhadler @ Aug 17 2005, 04:38 PM)
Autox and TT car. Occasional street use...

I ran the following setup when the car was running (and winning)...

21 mm torsion bars
22 mm Welt bar
200# coils (adjustable)
Koni Yellow all four corners
Poly bushings front and rear

225/45-15 Hoosiers on 15x8 wheels with 5" backspacing

Grant,

Just a guess here, but one reason you might be getting push with that setup is that the torsion bars might be too soft and you're bottoming out. Also might be caster... Just a guess, but it's coming from a BTDT... I had tired stock torsion bars, and when I went from stock bars and 150# coils to 21mm bars and 200# coils the car was -transformed-. Car was turning in so quick I had trouble not hitting the apex cones. I adjusted though, and loved it!

-Josh2

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.