Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzapisek
I have two 914's. 73' 1.7 and 75' 3.0 conversion. Driving the 75' and have noticed very little suspension travel on the front. When I push down on the fender almost zero movement and no recoil. Strut inserts were replaced in 2014 and car has been driven about 3000 miles in the past 9 years. Could the inserts be toast? It has Boge struts not sure what inserts are installed. Thoughts, guidance appreciated.
914Sixer
IF 911 front suspension is installed it will be stiffer. Torsion bars are larger, designed for a car that weighs almost 500 lbs more. Sounds like gas shocks were installed. Going to be stiff for sure. Nothing to worry about.
JamesM
What control arm bushings are you running? I have seen polys bind completely solid in the front
rhodyguy
If you jack up one side does the control arm drop?
mzapisek
Yes control are drops when jacking up on either side.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually it is the old frozen koni problem

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Aug 12 2023, 12:14 PM) *

I have two 914's. 73' 1.7 and 75' 3.0 conversion. Driving the 75' and have noticed very little suspension travel on the front. When I push down on the fender almost zero movement and no recoil. Strut inserts were replaced in 2014 and car has been driven about 3000 miles in the past 9 years. Could the inserts be toast? It has Boge struts not sure what inserts are installed. Thoughts, guidance appreciated.

porschetub
Its not just Koni's that do that ,my Bilsteins seized up ,suspected they shouldn't be that firm,disconnected the front swaybar and made it just bearable until I replaced them.
I have no idea why they do this.
914_teener
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 12 2023, 01:47 PM) *

Its not just Koni's that do that ,my Bilsteins seized up ,suspected they shouldn't be that firm,disconnected the front swaybar and made it just bearable until I replaced them.

Adjustable drop links? or stock drop links? Then how are the torsion bars clocked? Have they been reclocked?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 12 2023, 12:39 PM) *

IF 911 front suspension is installed it will be stiffer. Torsion bars are larger, designed for a car that weighs almost 500 lbs more. Sounds like gas shocks were installed. Going to be stiff for sure. Nothing to worry about.

agree.gif
CCE
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 12 2023, 02:47 PM) *

They like to move… don’t like to rest. I suppose driving.gif
mzapisek
Thanks for all the responses. Elephant bushings. Car is slightly lowered and has been for years. I will pull one insert today to confirm what is actually on the car.
rhodyguy
If the Elephants are the polybronze units I doubt they are the problem.
mzapisek
Ok confirmed the bushings are Polybronze and in good condition. Pulled the strut and it is a Bilstein. Part number is 501P36 0112H1. Quick search online didn't show a direct match but the strut is 9 years old but low miles (3K). When compressing strut there is good resistance in both directions but it is very slow to rebound. Is this normal? My research online appears to indicate the strut is working properly. I wonder if I might be experiencing bump stop issues and maybe adjusting the ride height might help. Tried to post video with no luck. Thanks
porschetub
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 13 2023, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 12 2023, 01:47 PM) *

Adjustable drop links? or stock drop links? Then how are the torsion bars clocked? Have they been reclocked?

Stock droplinks with new Automotion split urethane bushes,torsion bars all set right,new inserts cured the issue ,rode nice after fitted,cheers.
r_towle
I might start by removing the torsion bar adjuster and the sway bar drop link.
Can you raise and lower the arm with no friction or binding?
If yes, it may just be time to replace the strut insert.
Bilsteins, imho, are too stiff for the lightweight car.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(mzapisek @ Aug 13 2023, 02:28 PM) *

When compressing strut there is good resistance in both directions but it is very slow to rebound. Is this normal?

Yes.

Other than verification that the strut has proper range of motion the ability to verify a strut performance by hand forces is non existent.

All dampers have more damping force on the rebound stroke than on the compression stroke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.