Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker shims!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Well, just got the rockers back on and I have almost no play left in the intake. exhaust has plenty but most of the intakes have less than .06 when backed all the way out. The geometry looks good but I can't run it like that. I need to shim it. I double and triple checked that my pushrods were inserted correctly. I would hate to have to cut new pushrods.

I see pmb has some shims in stock.

How big do I need to go to add some distance? Is it weird that the exhausts have all that space and the intakes are hugging the stems? I didn't shave the head or the block. I did remove the .03ish thick head gasket and the .01 shim that was under the old sleave. I added back in a .02 shim, no head gasket. So I really shouldn't be looking at more than a .02 drop in height.
brant
Did you put a dial indicator on it
Your geometry can’t be right if you need shims
Cut pushrods are the only way to get the geometry right
I made my own shims out of stock and some rockers needed two shims to get everything right
r_towle
Custom length rockers is the way.
There are kits out there, all doable at home shop
emerygt350
Click to view attachment

I mean it isn't perfect but it isn't far off. Who know what it looked like before.

I have a dial indicator to check the geometry. I would rather not cut pushrods.
bkrantz
The angle looks good in that photo. A shorter pushrod would change that. Maybe a minimal thickness shim?

Intake and exhaust rockers are different. I had to compromise shims and angles on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.