Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
needa914
Any suggestions on the source of this squeak? https://youtube.com/shorts/druxKUMSjIw?feature=share
Superhawk996
Sure sounds like it’s off the one carb and affected by how hard you push on the snail. That side also not pulling as much vacuum.

Suspect leak at a gasket that is whistling, squeaking, or whatever you want to call it. Sort of like blowing air over a blade of grass trapped between your thumbs as a kid.

Alternately is it the air filter housing loose on top of carb and squeaking and changes pitch when you press the snail harder into the velocity stack loading the air filter housing differently?

Those are my best guesses based on the video.
Jack Standz
Wild guess. Is the fan hitting or scraping the aluminum case?

Could be an alternator bearing?

Maybe take a long screwdriver or solid length of dowel and go around the engine placing it on the motor while against your ear. Or better use an automotive stethoscope.
needa914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 13 2023, 10:25 AM) *

Sure sounds like it’s off the one carb and affected by how hard you push on the snail. That side also not pulling as much vacuum.

Suspect leak at a gasket that is whistling, squeaking, or whatever you want to call it. Sort of like blowing air over a blade of grass trapped between your thumbs as a kid.

Alternately is it the air filter housing loose on top of carb and squeaking and changes pitch when you press the snail harder into the velocity stack loading the air filter housing differently?

Those are my best guesses based on the video.

Thanks!. I did just rebuild the carbs. I'll check and see if tightened everything down.
type2man
Intake leak...
rfinegan
sounds like you have the the air bleeds open on that carb.
Front yard mechanic
Squirrel
ClayPerrine
Weber 40 IDF carbs are notorious about squeaking if you put the carb directly on the manifold. There is supposed to be an insulator between the carb and the manifold.

Ebay - 40 IDF manifold insulator.

Years ago, I had the same noise on my 2.0L 4 cylinder with carbs. I put in the insulators and the noise went away.

Hope that helps.

Clay
rfinegan
GREAT TIP...I’ll give this a try. I was going to get the insulators anyhow as it’s HOT here in NC.

Best
-Robert

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 14 2023, 08:54 AM) *

Weber 40 IDF carbs are notorious about squeaking if you put the carb directly on the manifold. There is supposed to be an insulator between the carb and the manifold.

Ebay - 40 IDF manifold insulator.

Years ago, I had the same noise on my 2.0L 4 cylinder with carbs. I put in the insulators and the noise went away.

Hope that helps.

Clay

r_towle
With the right paint job, I might leave the noise….maybe hang a chipmunk off the rear bumper
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.