Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 fresh air blower question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iwuzazombie
Hello! Now i know there are a lot of posts on this topic. I have been reading through many of them which have helped me through quite a lot troubleshooting this.

I just want to confirm something. The blower isn’t operating. I have checked and found there is power at the plug (upper passenger side pole connector). I have cleaned the contacts on the control levers at the heater controls in the cabin including its grounds.

I understand pulling that thing out is a huge PITA. What else should i check? And is it enough to check that there is power on that plug? I also did attempt to apply direct 12v to that upper passenger side pole but it still did not come on.

Just want to make sure i am trying everything before i dig into what seems to be a huge PITA pulling that thing out.

Thanks in advance!
Rob-O
Have you bolted the control lever mechanism to the firewall? Many forget that part and I’m 99% sure that is the ground that completes the circuit.
iwuzazombie
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 13 2023, 12:04 PM) *

Have you bolted the control lever mechanism to the firewall? Many forget that part and I’m 99% sure that is the ground that completes the circuit.

Whoa. I have left my home for the day but will check that when I get home. I didn’t know this.
iwuzazombie
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 13 2023, 12:04 PM) *

Well i have done this and it still is not operating. sad.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(iwuzazombie @ Aug 13 2023, 12:43 PM) *

Hello! Now i know there are a lot of posts on this topic. I have been reading through many of them which have helped me through quite a lot troubleshooting this.

I just want to confirm something. The blower isn’t operating. I have checked and found there is power at the plug (upper passenger side pole connector). I have cleaned the contacts on the control levers at the heater controls in the cabin including its grounds.

I understand pulling that thing out is a huge PITA. What else should i check? And is it enough to check that there is power on that plug? I also did attempt to apply direct 12v to that upper passenger side pole but it still did not come on.

Just want to make sure i am trying everything before i dig into what seems to be a huge PITA pulling that thing out.

Thanks in advance!

Power at plug
Use a set of alligator clips and apply battery ground to the proper connector on the fan.
Does the fan work when wired to the battery?
If yes, start chasing wires
TRS63
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 14 2023, 05:14 PM) *

Power at plug
Use a set of alligator clips and apply battery ground to the proper connector on the fan.
Does the fan work when wired to the battery?
If yes, start chasing wires

Do you have any picture which connector to put to the ground ? I have the same issue and also would like to try everything before the big disassembly..

By power at plug you mean turning the ignition on?

Thanks!

Antoine "who is a real beginner with electrics on cars.. can't it be as simple as metalwork ?!" laugh.gif idea.gif
DRPHIL914

Thanks in advance!

when did it work last?? if there is power and ground , id assume here the fan motor is toast. you can buy a new one , complete new motor and fan, then get the 914rubber rebuild kit. yes you have to pull the fuel tank to get that out ist a bit of a pain but worth it .
- i will say that mine for years only worked on one speed and any other setting it blew the fuse, turned out the Previous idiot owner had cracked the plug and just put the wirese on the connectors but on the wrong order so one circuit worked but would short out. now with a new fan and cleaned u p grounds and controls its better than new.

Steve
My V8 914 had no fan controls, so I used this diagram to install a rotary switch to turn the fan on. As mentioned before, make sure the plug is in on the fan itself and then short one of these wires to ground to test the fan. The key does have to be on.
Click to view attachment
iwuzazombie
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 15 2023, 07:09 AM) *

My V8 914 had no fan controls, so I used this diagram to install a rotary switch to turn the fan on. As mentioned before, make sure the plug is in on the fan itself and then short one of these wires to ground to test the fan. The key does have to be on.
Click to view attachment

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. I was out of town. You mean short to ground one of the fan wires (slow, med, high) fan wires? I tried that (just connected each of them to ground and the fan did not turn on).
iwuzazombie
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 15 2023, 05:30 AM) *

Thanks in advance!

when did it work last?? if there is power and ground , id assume here the fan motor is toast. you can buy a new one , complete new motor and fan, then get the 914rubber rebuild kit. yes you have to pull the fuel tank to get that out ist a bit of a pain but worth it .
- i will say that mine for years only worked on one speed and any other setting it blew the fuse, turned out the Previous idiot owner had cracked the plug and just put the wirese on the connectors but on the wrong order so one circuit worked but would short out. now with a new fan and cleaned u p grounds and controls its better than new.

Yeah I’m starting to think it’s toast. But i want to try connecting power directly to it. I think i need to connect 12v power directly to the upper passenger side pole AND one to the other poles for a ground directly and see if it runs. Right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.