Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar Loads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Romanowski
I though people might find this interesting. I installed a strain gauge on a sway bar drop link and had some interesting results. It's pretty neat to see the loads that the drop link see on track.

The strain gauge on the drop link.
Click to view attachment

The forces on a whole lap on track.
Click to view attachment

Zoomed in to a corner.
Click to view attachment
Racer
What track?
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Racer @ Aug 14 2023, 05:45 AM) *

What track?

Club Motorsports in Tamworth, NH. I also have a 375 lb springs in the front and a custom sway bar, so I'm not sure how relevant the data is to other cars, but it gives a decent idea of the sort of load that is there. As a comparison, NASCAR cars can see close to 3,000 lbs!
jim_hoyland
Wow ! Very cool; thanks for sharing.... smile.gif
What does the strain gauge read when the car is at rest?
yeahmag
Assuming no sort of weird setup, the drop links should see no load at rest on level ground with the correct ballast in the car.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 14 2023, 08:30 AM) *

Wow ! Very cool; thanks for sharing.... smile.gif
What does the strain gauge read when the car is at rest?

It reads zero like pointed out. One interesting thing I learned is that you can not feel preload it the drop link heim joints. It can read 40 lbs and still feel free.
jd74914
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Aug 14 2023, 01:45 PM) *

It reads zero like pointed out. One interesting thing I learned is that you can not feel preload it the drop link heim joints. It can read 40 lbs and still feel free.

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

What's your bar look like if you don't mind me asking? Nascar?
gereed75
Very cool and thanks. Timely and useful for me. I am redoing the sway bars on my Datsun race car and re-designing the rear bar using an adjustable blade that will require a new mount point at the trailing arm. Was wondering about the loads this mount point will see. This gives me a ball park data point.

I assume this is a front bar?? Is there a rear bar on the car?? Thanks again.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 14 2023, 11:04 AM) *

It looks like a regular through body bar and uses the Tarrett ends, but it's a custom OD/ID, length, and uses monoballs to mount it instead of bushings.

NASCAR bars, or at least the ones I'm familiar with, are huge and something like 2.5 or 3" OD and probably .100" or more wall. They are really stiff.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 14 2023, 11:07 AM) *

Very cool and thanks. Timely and useful for me. I am redoing the sway bars on my Datsun race car and re-designing the rear bar using an adjustable blade that will require a new mount point at the trailing arm. Was wondering about the loads this mount point will see. This gives me a ball park data point.

I assume this is a front bar?? Is there a rear bar on the car?? Thanks again.

Yes, this is the front bar and I don't have a rear bar.
windforfun
Fantastic work!!! Strain must be a big concern. I'd want to know in what part of the suspension is it worst. Is the noise on the plots from road vibration? Dumb question I suppose.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 14 2023, 01:43 PM) *

Fantastic work!!! Strain must be a big concern. I'd want to know in what part of the suspension is it worst. Is the noise on the plots from road vibration? Dumb question I suppose.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Probably. To be honest, I haven't zoomed in far enough to really check that part out.
jd74914
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Aug 14 2023, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 14 2023, 11:04 AM) *

It looks like a regular through body bar and uses the Tarrett ends, but it's a custom OD/ID, length, and uses monoballs to mount it instead of bushings.

NASCAR bars, or at least the ones I'm familiar with, are huge and something like 2.5 or 3" OD and probably .100" or more wall. They are really stiff.

Thanks for the details. I have a Nascar bar (rear) that's 1" OD (forget ID) and splined. Only reason I asked. Their front bars are absolutely massive. It's crazy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.