Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitting a 72' with a sideshift trans.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
insipidCarrot
My motor is done and is waiting be put back into my 72 1.7. All that is left to do is to fit the transmission , the only problem is that it is a type 904 out the 75 914. Does anyone offer a kit to setup the linkage from one to the other ? I have everything from the 75, should I put the linkage section from the 75 firewall into the 72's firewall ?

please help!
r_towle
72 to 75...

You need the shifter rod from the tranny all the way to the shifter, you also need the shifter, its different.

You need all new bushings, plus you need a special bushing that re-sizes the hole to go from the old style to the new style. (pelican has these bushings)

All the rest is bolt on.

You will not be able to re-use the rubber cover at the firewall, it will not fit correctly, but the rest does fit.

Rich
TravisNeff
Yep you need all the late model parts, linkage shifter, tranny, engine mount, engine mount brackets on the engine and a set of conversion bushings.
r_towle
I forgot,
You need to put the bushing in with the motor out of the car.
You need to put the rod that fits in the firewall into the car BEFORE you put the motor in....

After you put the motor and tranny in, the rear bar goes in from the front, through the engine bar (which also needs to be from the newer car)

Then you can finish hooking it up.

Rich
rhodyguy
put the front linkage rod in after you replace the firewall bushing. do all the bushings on the eng/trans and just place the rear bar in the holes of the cross bar and rear support bracket before you install the engine. hook it all up when the install is finished. much easier.

k
tat2dphreak
I agree with all that's said, I did this last year...

the only thing left out is the outboard engine mounts that the bar connect to the body with...
jr91472
Don't sweat it though, all the parts listed above can be found. Place a want ad here and at Pelican. Also check ebay.

wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Aug 16 2005, 10:34 PM)
Don't sweat it though, all the parts listed above can be found. Place a want ad here and at Pelican. Also check ebay.

wink.gif

yep... I was missing a lot of parts when I started the swap... had them within a few days of discovering what I needed... smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 16 2005, 07:28 PM)
I agree with all that's said, I did this last year...

the only thing left out is the outboard engine mounts that the bar connect to the body with...

agree.gif replace outboard rubber engine mounts (along with the engine cross-bar) with the solid mounts out of the '75.
make sure you also switch over the small rubber engine mounts from the '75 where the crossbar bolts to the engine!

all the shifter parts from the actual shifter to the very end need to be swapped over and you'll need to buy a conversion bushing for the firewall ...

smash.gif Andy
lapuwali
See my blog. I just did this, and have a writeup.

The conversion bushing is also quite difficult to fit. It doesn't submit to the "hot water" trick that the other bushings do, as it's so thick. The ones you get now also have a pretty shallow "barb" for the inside. You need to press it into place using a long bolt, a nut, and some big washers. Hammering it into place will only deform the bushing (and usually won't work). Lube everything.

SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 17 2005, 09:15 AM)
It doesn't submit to the "hot water" trick that the other bushings do, as it's so thick.

it does if you use the microwave ... wink.gif

done that on at least 3 cars, soft as butter ...
smash.gif Andy
rhodyguy
i did the microwave too. i wouldn't do it without putting it in a glass of water first!! i used a thin coating of moly lube around the flange on the car too.

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 17 2005, 09:24 AM)
i wouldn't do it without putting it in a glass of water first!!

ooops, yes, maybe i should have mentioned that little detail ...

biggrin.gif Andy
rhodyguy
biggrin.gif no water and it's like softening butter in the micro for your toast. OOPS TOO MUCH!! and it's a puddle.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.