Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few more that need saving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lilchopshop
found this while doing my daily browse for stuff I don't need. can almost make out the VIN on one of them.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/p...7653597894.html
mepstein
$6k for 3 parts cars, I don’t think so.
Porschef
I think these pop up from time to time, either these or some others on a nearby rust farm.

You ain’t kidding Mark, no paperwork either… dry.gif

Hoofahhhh

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2023, 07:16 AM) *

But they are in “good” condition av-943.gif
BillJ
Google definition of "Good Condition":

Good. This means the vehicle has some repairable cosmetic defects and is free of major mechanical problems. The vehicle may need some servicing.

Lololololol
Porschef
Indeed.

Right below that it says “Vehicle shall not snap in half upon any attempts to retrieve it from it’s final resting place”

rolleyes.gif
BillJ
Bring a hammer. Tap the car on that cowl. Watch it crumble to dust.
mepstein
I know of a couple parts cars that I can get for free but I’m in no rush since the work to get them, take them apart, store parts and dispose of the carcass isn’t worth it to me right now.
Root_Werks
Another sad story of someone thinking they are sitting on gold. Poor 914's probably had a chance 10-15 years ago.

They all probably have some good parts on them. Lot of work, storage, catalog and sell? No thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we would always buy all cheap 914s but transportation costs kill the purchase every time.

QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Aug 15 2023, 03:10 AM) *

found this while doing my daily browse for stuff I don't need. can almost make out the VIN on one of them.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/p...7653597894.html

Unobtanium-inc
I think I went there years ago to look at a horrible 356, had pieces cut off I've never seen cut off. He also had three 914's, but I remember it was "take all 3".

I took nothing....
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2023, 06:16 AM) *

C'mon Mark, one of them is a 68! VERY rare. Like, impossibly rare.
r_towle
Price is now 3500.
I used to when I was younger….but too far, and too much work for me.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 15 2023, 10:28 PM) *

Price is now 3500.

Still one $ zero too many.
SirAndy
The red one seems to have a /6 style VIN tag, even though i can't read the vin number.

But it doesn't look to be the /4 embossed style tag.
idea.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2023, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 15 2023, 10:28 PM) *

Price is now 3500.

Still one $ zero too many.

You got that right!

I sort of get tired of situations like this where they really ought to be happy to have someone simply remove them for free. Especially without titles! And to insist that it’s a take all 3 deal.

I think the internet has created the situation where they see a decent car go for $30k so they think they have some sort of diamond in the rough on their hands and think it’s worth a pile of cash. The sad reality is that it’s not even worth the time and effort to part them out at the price folks are asking.

KSCarrera
If they were over here in the UK, they'd be sold in a heartbeat at that price ($3500 for three) - 914 transmissions are $1500 each before anything else...
Lilchopshop
i recently parted out wheels, a short block of unknown condition, some crusty injection components and a side-shift transmission all from one car for a total of $2300. at $3500 for 3, i'm starting to get curious and, it's not that far of a drive for me... idea.gif then again, i'm still far more naive and optimistic than most of you. maybe i'll just snap a bunch more pictures to confirm what all you nay-sayers are trying to tell me. screwy.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Aug 16 2023, 09:30 AM) *

i recently parted out wheels, a short block of unknown condition, some crusty injection components and a side-shift transmission all from one car for a total of $2300. at $3500 for 3, i'm starting to get curious and, it's not that far of a drive for me... idea.gif then again, i'm still far more naive and optimistic than most of you. maybe i'll just snap a bunch more pictures to confirm what all you nay-sayers are trying to tell me. screwy.gif

Not sure what your parts car cost you but here’s how I see it.

$1200 each base cost (rounded) for these 3 parts cars.

So now take your $2300 for parts sold - $1200 cost of goods sold

$1100 gross
Minus - time, gas, wear and tear on my vehicle/trailer to get them out of some field
Minus - time to part them out
Minus - time, gas, wear and tear to dispose of chassis
Minus - warehouse / store parts while trying to sell them
Minus - time to deal with any local pick up of large heavy parts
Minus - time to pack ship smaller parts and gas to/from shipping parts
Minus - taxes - I’m sure you wouldn’t want to stiff The Man on all that profit & income you earned happy11.gif

I’m not saying there’s no money there, but it sure depends on how you value your time, space, and personal vehicle operating costs.

God bless those that do it as a service to the 914 community - they sure aren’t getting rich doing it! smilie_pokal.gif

Now if there is a 914/6 chassis in there - that would change the math
mepstein
I’ve done about 20 parts cars. Some I sold complete, some parted, some completely cut up. I’m sort of over it but if you haven’t done one, it’s a great learning experience and you help other people who need parts. So dive in if you want a new experience. beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
The problem with parting out really roached cars is that 90% of the sellable parts on the car are not parts anyone needs. Things like hood, trunklid, targa top, the stuff that every car has given up, meaning there are guys with dozens of those parts they can't sell.
The stuff that sells is nice interior stuff, good mechanical stuff, nice wheels, etc, but cars like this don't give up these kinds of parts.
If you want to part cars you need what was a nice car that had a bad day, like a fire or a bad wreck.

This 87 911 was an example that I sold that was parted, but other then the one side, the car gave up oodles of good juicy parts.
930cabman
has the red hair to boot

I would try my best to be his friend
Lilchopshop
thanks for the sage advice everybody. @Unobtanium-inc , you make a very good point about usable parts.

I did call the seller and he is clearly motivated to sell. He said he would get me the VINs, so we'll see what they really are. anyone know what options the '68 model year came with? lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.