Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Reds - Bump Stop Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I recently picked up some slightly used rear Koni Reds with coilovers and 180lb springs on Ebay. It was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up. My question is what bump stop to use at the top? Should I use the stock one or go with one of Koni's Yellow foam type of bump stop? Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from those who have Konis.

I have included a pic below of the setup:

Click to view attachment

stownsen914
I'd test fit one to the car and see how much "bump" travel you'll have with your setup with bump stops in place (ride height, wheel & tire combo, etc.) You'll want 2-3" so you don't hit the bump stops during normal use. Hitting bump stops can cause erratic handling, especially if they are engaged during a turn, because the effective spring rate basically goes to infinity when the shocks bottom onto them. If that will be the case, definitely get the Koni ones - they are softer and progressive, so much less intrusive when they are engaged.
GregAmy
You absolutely want to use Koni progressive bump stops. If you bottom out the dampers internally it will destroy them.

Koni offers the bumps in different lengths and shaft sizes depending on the design you need. Summit Racing carries them.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=...0Bump%20Rubbers
Craigers17
Thanks for the information and advice. I also appreciate the link. I feel like this setup is going to be way better than my KYB's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.