Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion bar bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
One of my front torsion bar bolts was replaced with a normal bolt. I am going to get a replacement like below. What is the replacement procedure?
Wheels off the ground?
Count turns of the bolt?
Measure something?
Any tension to worry about?

https://pmbperformance.com/products/torsion...ff135&_ss=r

mepstein
Jack it up, replace, get close to what you think it needs, drive it around the block, readjust until you are happy.
brant
I’d mark the bolt with a sharpie and count the rotations. Maybe measure ride height at that corner to the front chassis before removal
Try to maintain ride height or your changing alignment slightly
technicalninja
"Count the turns" may not work properly with a non-original bolt.

Measure ride height and re-create same measurement is how I'd skin that cat.

Drive around and adjust is also good advice and then "have an alignment done" is also a reasonable suggestion.

Adjusting front ride height on an old rusty 70 914 is how I first learned about blood poisoning. sad.gif

Makes all the veins/arteries stand out like a road map on your arm...
Front yard mechanic
Wheels off the ground makes it easier to see and turn the bolts. Drop the jack bounce a couple of times and measure the inside of the fenders to the ground. Go for a run and readjust
bkrantz
Best practice is to check corner weights. Adjust the torsion bars first to get the ride height you want, and then balance the weight totals for front left plus rear right with front right and rear left. Raising the ride height on a front corner slightly makes it carry more weight. Each diagonal total should carry 50% of the total car weight.
targa72e
I am with others, measuring fender height is probably the best way to get it back to same place. The threads of the bolts will be the same but the contact point to the adjuster might be different between bolts. It doesn't take much difference at the bolt to make a big difference in height. Long term when you have all the suspension sorted a corner balance and alignment is the final step to best handling.

john
Geezer914
It is better to measure the ride height from the center of the torsion bar caps.
jim_hoyland
PMB has several other related parts…
brant
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 17 2023, 04:22 AM) *

It is better to measure the ride height from the center of the torsion bar caps.

I like to measure from a chassis point and not the fender that is dependent on spring and shock

I have an aluminum cross member and like to use that flat spot on it as a repeatable measurement.
brant
jim_hoyland
Any possibility of breaking the old bolt while backing it out ? Kinda rusty…
jim_hoyland
Received the two PMB replacement bolts today. Is there anything Elsie to check while under the car ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.