Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drain plug.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jleighton88
i was just curious if anyone knew what size allen the drain plug is. i was gunna change my trans. oil to synthetic. but i need a huge allen to take out the drain plug.

thanks
Jon
Ferg
17 mm
Jake Raby
Lets veryify its the tranny drain plug first- some TIV engines had allen headed drain plugs... They are 6mm

If it is the tranny plug ALWAYS remove the plug on the side first before draining the oil.... This is because you may have a seized fill plug that will keep you from ever filling the tranny in the future. Removing the fill plug first ensures you won't be getting a nasty suprise later when its time to fill R' up..

You can sometimes clamp a 17mm headed bolt in a pair of vise grips to remove it if you don't want to buy the tool..... I welded a bolt into a socket years ago and made my own apex for the job and never did buy the tool!
bondo
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 16 2005, 09:56 PM)
I welded a bolt into a socket years ago and made my own apex for the job and never did buy the tool!

Haha, I welded a bolt to a piece of square tubung. Of course when I get my new trans built I'm going to use the hex head plugs from a 912 and never need that tool again. smile.gif
GrayMatter
Sears Craftsman. 17mm hex key. around 12$ didn't have a welder, so I bought it. Had to use a cheater bar on it to get the drain plug out, though, the handle is kinda short
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jleighton88 @ Aug 17 2005, 12:44 AM)
i was gunna change my trans. oil to synthetic. but i need a huge allen to take out the drain plug.

remember that tapered pipe plugs do not seal by brute force but by interference fit when you put it back it. a touch of an antisieze compound couldn't hurt although the gear oil itself should be effective. this will make it easier the next time you drain the oil - such as when you discover you should have used the specified oil instead...
roundboy914
Jake,
That was an excellent tip on removing the top drain plug first. Sounds like the voice of experience at work!
Joe Ricard
Yup that's excellent advice. Take out fill plug 1st.
learned that one the hard way with my 928. ended up taking the rear cover plate off and drilling and easyout the SOB out. smash.gif

And yup if you use that synthetic oil you will need to be able to remove the plugs easily again. REAL SOON. spank.gif
tat2dphreak
any VW shop has the 17mm socket also... I think I paid $8....

I'm surprised there hasn't been the usual mixed reactions to synthetic in the tranny...
Jake Raby
I've been pumping 180 ponies through my tranny with Redline synthetic now for about 12K miles.... The old engine had about the same power for 10K miles- no issues at all.

That includes sub 8,000 RPM 2nd gear tire smoking sessions everytime I turn onto the road in front of the shop...
Joe Ricard
I don't know about bug trannies as I never had a lick of trouble with them.
a worn 914 trans will surely give you problems running the super slick stuff.
FYI Until you drive a 914 with a new rebuilt trans you just won't know what sucky shifting is in comparison. I have driven several teeners recently that I wouldn't even rank the shifting as crappy or vauge that would be to high.
rhodyguy
double check that the hex socket recieves a 1/2" drive. a 1/2" drive breaker bar makes short work of turning the plug out. i can't understand why you feel you need to use a synthetic lube. that same breaker bar and a 19mm or 3/4" impact socket makes a nice lug wrench too. wink.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.