Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 2366 runs nicely, quick, far from mint or original
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
I've just discovered I'm losing my Seattle parking space so I will need to find a new home for my 1970 914. I don't know what the price should be... open to suggestions. The previous owner built the engine as a 2.4/4, and there were some other problems you can read about in the linked download.

It feels much faster than a stock 2.0L and makes that badabadabada sound.

No heater due to the headers, which one of you has said may be too small for the engine. In another thread someone observed that the cam was not aggressive enough.

It has a Dr. Evil transmission and a Tangerine Racing linkage. It came with a Patrick Motorsports front oil cooler. Racing harness instead of conventional seatbelts. (I thought I would change back to seatbelts but I kinda got used to it.)

Some of the rubber has been replaced, including the engine seal and the front roof seal.

The interior is, um, not stock.

Body and paint are fair/rough. It is a yellow car painted black. Rich of 914werke discovered someone had used spray filler in the wheel well under the battery box. We are unsure of the condition of the metal under that. We did not find actual rust, but didn't dig deep enough to prove there's no rust either.

We did find the trunk floor had rusted through at the taillights. Please see the photos in the download for detail.

Here is a download link with all the unflattering pictures and other records from the time I acquired it in 2017. Note that some of the problems shown in the photos have been solved, and there are also problems not shown in the photos.

UPDATED 8/21//2023
This is a more reasonable download size with a few photos added:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0y30h780uix9ybz/...u_4KUtdFba?dl=0

I would like to hear your opinion what the price should be even if you are not a buyer.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Cool looking wheels shades.gif glws
Please help me determine a reasonable price, even if you're not a buyer. Soon I will have to arrange for a place to store this if I cannot sell it.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(98101 @ Aug 19 2023, 12:06 PM) *

Please help me determine a reasonable price, even if you're not a buyer. Soon I will have to arrange for a place to store this if I cannot sell it.

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 20 2023, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(98101 @ Aug 19 2023, 12:06 PM) *

Awesome. Thanks. I'll go with that, or best offer.
technicalninja
Seems cheap to me for what you have.

Better pictures/documentation directly on the forum might be helpful.

Folks are getting 10k for much nastier looking cars.

I'm not a player as I already have my projects but having everything in a "download" might push away a potential buyer.

That motor needs to have some kind of documentation.

If it was a Raby or LN kit it will be more valuable.

The Dr's transmission is a value adder. You have a receipt?

The bright side shot of the car looks very nice, the front bumper is excellent, decent spoiler, nice tires/wheels. Paint looks fine from that angle. The dark side shot doesn't show anything...

You should post more pictures and if Rich@914werk is a friend his take on the car might be valuable.

10K seems cheap to me...

nditiz1
I think it is priced very nice. I also thoroughly enjoy the ~900 MB history over the last 6 years. This could be a steal at 10k OR it could be trouble.

Enticing things that make you overlook downfalls -
2.4 engine
5 lug setup
Looks decent, even if a 10 footer
Interior clean
Frunk looks rust free

After owning a few I have become very picky. The mystery of the battery tray would need further investigation by myself. I need tons more pics. You have some, but only few of the sweet spots. The rewelded jack mount looks good, but what does the other long look like? How does the entire underbody look? Any previous accident damage found? How healthy is the engine (numbers). My first 914 had a rebuilt in it. Drove fine for a few thousand miles until it dropped a valve and needed another rebuild. Supposedly only 20k on that 1st rebuild. These are some of the questions I am asking as a buyer.

Things that don't bother me, the rust in the trunk. Yeah it sucks and can be a pain to install, but my last 914 had worse than this and I enjoyed driving it for a few years before selling. Rough exterior - I actually dont think its that bad, but pictures can be deceiving.

It's too bad you had some theft damage, that custom console looked pretty neat.

Summary - I'm almost a buyer at the 10k price point. Wish you were closer as I might be laying cash in your lap today. Need more pics, love the 5 lug setup and the 2.4 engine as well as the additional engine cooling already in place. You cannot build a car for anywhere close.
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 21 2023, 07:21 AM) *

I think it is priced very nice. I also thoroughly enjoy the ~900 MB history over the last 6 years. This could be a steal at 10k OR it could be trouble.

Enticing things that make you overlook downfalls -
2.4 engine
5 lug setup
Looks decent, even if a 10 footer
Interior clean
Frunk looks rust free

After owning a few I have become very picky. The mystery of the battery tray would need further investigation by myself. I need tons more pics. You have some, but only few of the sweet spots. The rewelded jack mount looks good, but what does the other long look like? How does the entire underbody look? Any previous accident damage found? How healthy is the engine (numbers). My first 914 had a rebuilt in it. Drove fine for a few thousand miles until it dropped a valve and needed another rebuild. Supposedly only 20k on that 1st rebuild. These are some of the questions I am asking as a buyer.

Things that don't bother me, the rust in the trunk. Yeah it sucks and can be a pain to install, but my last 914 had worse than this and I enjoyed driving it for a few years before selling. Rough exterior - I actually dont think its that bad, but pictures can be deceiving.

It's too bad you had some theft damage, that custom console looked pretty neat.

Summary - I'm almost a buyer at the 10k price point. Wish you were closer as I might be laying cash in your lap today. Need more pics, love the 5 lug setup and the 2.4 engine as well as the additional engine cooling already in place. You cannot build a car for anywhere close.

I found some other photos and added them to the download. I removed the factory manual that made the download so big. Now it's "only" about 60MB instead of most of a gigabyte.

UPDATED 8/21//2023
UPDATED 8/21//2023

I'm supposed to go to a meeting so I'll answer as many questions as I can now and probably post some photos on the board later.

I have paperwork on the engine from the previous owner, a retired guy named Tim Clark who wasn't very technical and seemed to make a lot of mistakes. Sorry to say it's not a Raby. From my post history everyone can read about some of the issues with the car. Mark Henry posted his opinion that a more aggressive cam should have been used, and there was a discussion about whether the headers are too constricting. It's fast enough for me though. I'd rather the heater worked. If I were to keep the car in Seattle I would go with a Tangerine Racing setup with a heat exchanger, because a heater/defogger is nice to have here.

I'll have to doublecheck, but I'm 90% sure they're only 4 lug wheels. Those particular wheels are from Australia. They look great, though not particularly lightweight.

Rich found previous damage to the rear trunk. It looks like the back few inches of the rear trunk (the part that's rusted anyway) came from a green car. There's also a minor dent in the rear bumper from when a lady bumped into me. And some scratches I added from sloppy parking.

As I recall, we did not pull the rocker panels on the driver's side. We were concerned about the passenger side because that door doesn't align as well.

The biggest unknown with the car is what's under the weird filler material we found in the rear passenger wheel well. Possibly it's fine? Or maybe not. I would advise the next owner to do a proper investigation of that first.

The upper interior has yet to be restored. The dashtop isn't nice, and the glovebox doesn't open and close nicely. I'm not happy with the door panels.
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Aug 20 2023, 10:37 PM) *

That motor needs to have some kind of documentation.

If it was a Raby or LN kit it will be more valuable.

The Dr's transmission is a value adder. You have a receipt?

Not a Raby or LN unfortunately. Some place in Southern California near the previous owner (Tim Clark). I do have some paperwork from the previous owner I can scan.

Thanks to your note I realized the receipts folder is missing the Dr. Evil transmission and the clutch and flywheel from Pelican. It does show the installation work that was done by Chase Race. I will work on getting the missing documentation.
nditiz1
Double checked your pics, it is 5 lug per your brake pics folder.
technicalninja
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 21 2023, 03:00 PM) *

Double checked your pics, it is 5 lug per your brake pics folder.

Even better!

I ,too am, HAPPY this is at the other end of the world...

I'd have to go check it out if it was within a couple of hundred miles and I already have 4.

The good Dr posted a price for instant tranny today 5350.00 without core!

That's half the price he's asking.

Has the tranny been updated to side shift?

Glad it's where it is.

It's tempting...

Rick

UPDATED 8/21//2023

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Aug 21 2023, 04:33 PM) *

Has the tranny been updated to side shift?

Yes. Also the linkage is upgraded to the one from Tangerine Racing (Chris).

The mechanic's assessment was "Now it shifts like a regular car." I don't always bother with first gear though.
The previous owner gave me a binder with his records but it's in my storage space and I have not scanned it.

QUOTE(98101 @ Aug 21 2023, 12:09 PM) *

Thanks to your note I realized the receipts folder is missing the Dr. Evil transmission and the clutch and flywheel from Pelican. It does show the installation work that was done by Chase Race. I will work on getting the missing documentation.

Mike was kind enough to fetch my old receipt. I guess a transmission was cheaper 5.5 years ago. I found the receipt for the clutch/flywheel replacement also, please find attached.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Note that the cabin is not fully sealed yet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the suspect passenger side wheel well with some kind of spray foam in it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rupert14
I am interested, Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.