Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Recommendations - '74 914 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sarivers2001
Hi everybody. New to 914 World community.

I just bought a 1974 914 2.0L and the tires are 8 years old. Gotta replace them. Currently has BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport 195/55 R15's on Fuchs rims.

Two issues I am having: (1) speedometer is clearly overstating the speed by 5-7 MPH, and (2) the ride is quite stiff.

I have read on various posts that the proper tire size is critical to proper speedometer / odometer performance. Moreover, others have commented that a narrower and higher profile tire can provide a somewhat smoother ride.

Was hoping to get some opinions from this group on (a) preferred tire brand / model / size, (b) similar experiences re: speedometer issues vis-a-vis tire model / size, and © similar experiences re: ride vis-a-vis tire model / size.

Any and all other thoughts / recommendations are welcome!!

Many thanks in advance.
Steven
scallyk9
Welcome to 914world!

You are correct as to the overall diameter of your wheel/tire combination causing both issues. Those 195/55 R15 tires are about an inch or more less overall diameter than the 25" to 25.4" stock OD and the correspondingly shorter sidewalls are contributing to a harsher ride.

Tire Rack and other tire vendors have tire size calculators for comparing various sizes so you can easily compare dimensions to find modern tire sizes that will be closer to stock and a search here can find lots of great information as to brands preferred by members.
flipb
I like the stock look, so I've got a set of Vredesteins in 165/80R15. As far as I can tell, the speedometer is pretty accurate with these.

IMO, stock look works if it's stock ride height (not many are!) and for street use. And they're surprisingly grippy for such a small contact patch.
930cabman
welcome.png

My recommendation is generally stock, 155 or 165/15 but what is your goal? Most guys do not like the skinny tires, I have 175/15 Nexem on one of mine and 185/15 Michelin on another one. Ride is good on both, but the speedo is not calibrated correctly. It doesn't bother me

Once again Welcome aboard and post pics if you can
Geezer914
Running Firestone Firehawk AS tires 195/60x15. Speedometer is little off, but the handling is great.
sarivers2001
To the extent I make modifications, I'm inclined to move the car back closer to stock and toward a somewhat more comfortable ride where possible. Not planning on tracking the car at all, but will probably do rally drives at the like.

I appreciate the feedback and recommendations!
johnhora
When someone ask about tires and handling of the 914...I always like to direct them to this old video on the 914....it talks about the 914 model...but best of all it shows a stock 914 with stock tires and suspension driving...in stock form they are amazing cars...

Check out video timing minute markers at:
12:26 Skid pad
14:01 cornering

Then see some GTs on the Nürburgring at minute 24:17

Then if you have some time just watch the whole video...

Just think you can buy the stock size 165/80R15 Vredesteins and have new radial tires that are better that the original radial tires of 1970s that the stock 914s are running in the video

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJakSL9J_vw...Rz&index=15

Porschef
That turn at 7:00 evilgrin.gif
Geezer914
Nice video. I added 19mm torsion bars up front with a 3/4 sway bar and 140 lb springs in the rear to cut down the body roll. The ride is firm, not harsh.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(johnhora @ Aug 17 2023, 01:46 PM) *

When someone ask about tires and handling of the 914...I always like to direct them to this old video on the 914....it talks about the 914 model...but best of all it shows a stock 914 with stock tires and suspension driving...in stock form they are amazing cars...

Check out video timing minute markers at:
12:26 Skid pad
14:01 cornering

Then see some GTs on the Nürburgring at minute 24:17

Then if you have some time just watch the whole video...

Just think you can buy the stock size 165/80R15 Vredesteins and have new radial tires that are better that the original radial tires of 1970s that the stock 914s are running in the video

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJakSL9J_vw...Rz&index=15

awesome video, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.