Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 Porsche 914 1.8 Turn Signal Hazard Relay question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seattle_914
1975 914 1.8 turn signals work fine. Hazards don't work at all. Starting with replacing the relay. Photo shows the part I was sent from Pelican parts.
Main Question. Where does the hazards/turn signal relay live?
I looked up under the dash by the Hazards switch, no dice. I removed the hazard switch from the dash and all connections look good. Can someone point out which relay is the actual turn signal hazard relay from the provided photo? I removed the relay next to the headlight relay but the prongs on the part I was sent don't match up.
Is it possible the actual hazard switch in the dash is broken?
ClayPerrine
Do the turn signals work?

If they do, it is not the relay. The turn signals and the hazard lights use the same relay.

It mounts on the dash frame, not to the fuse panel.

Clay
davep
Correct, the flasher relay is the only one. The Hazzard switch just directs the blinking to the turn signals either left or right when not engaged, or when engaged it directs it to all four signal lights.
There are 3 or 4 different metal plates for the fuse panel, and the arrangement of the relays and buzzer do move about.
porschetub
QUOTE(Seattle_914 @ Aug 19 2023, 10:32 AM) *

1975 914 1.8 turn signals work fine. Hazards don't work at all. Starting with replacing the relay. Photo shows the part I was sent from Pelican parts.
Main Question. Where does the hazards/turn signal relay live?
I looked up under the dash by the Hazards switch, no dice. I removed the hazard switch from the dash and all connections look good. Can someone point out which relay is the actual turn signal hazard relay from the provided photo? I removed the relay next to the headlight relay but the prongs on the part I was sent don't match up.
Is it possible the actual hazard switch in the dash is broken?

Lots of educated replys but I would start by peeling of the tape and look what I suspect could be some bad joints on those wires if your indicators are not working ?.
Report back,cheers.
JeffBowlsby
It’s that tall rectangular relay in the middle. It’s the only relay with the blades oriented like your new relay.
Seattle_914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 18 2023, 06:09 PM) *

If they do, it is not the relay. The turn signals and the hazard lights use the same relay.

Clay

Like I said, turn signals work fine. The hazard light glows on the dashboard button. 4 ways never work. Figured is must be something with the relay switch.
Seattle_914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 18 2023, 10:48 PM) *

It’s that tall rectangular relay in the middle. It’s the only relay with the blades oriented like your new relay.

Thanks, that was my educated guess as well, however, the prongs on the new relay won't align on the relay board. Maybe I need a different part.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
only the early cars have the turn signal hazard relay on the dash frame, 75 has it on the fuse block and with the picture one is staring down upon it, the taller black one market "Hella". However if the turn signals work but not the hazards it is probably not the relay

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 18 2023, 04:09 PM) *

Clay

Spoke
Here's the simplified schematic of the '75 turnsignal system. Notice the turnsignal stalk is in parallel with the hazard switch. If the turnsignals work then your flasher should be ok.

When the hazard switch is pulled, power comes through fuse 11. Make sure this fuse is ok.
Seattle_914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 19 2023, 11:19 AM) *

Here's the simplified schematic of the '75 turnsignal system. Notice the turnsignal stalk is in parallel with the hazard switch. If the turnsignals work then your flasher should be ok.

When the hazard switch is pulled, power comes through fuse 11. Make sure this fuse is ok.

Thank you very much. I need to figure out where fuse 11 is now. According to Dr George book, page 86, I was sent the wrong part number. I'm supposed to use 914-618-30311 on the 75 model. But, I'll take a look at fuse 11 and make sure it's in good shape. I can hear the hazard/turn relay working when I enable the hazards, so maybe it is the fuse??
Seattle_914
QUOTE(Seattle_914 @ Aug 19 2023, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 19 2023, 11:19 AM) *

Thank you very much. I need to figure out where fuse 11 is now. According to Dr George book, page 86, I was sent the wrong part number. I'm supposed to use 914-618-30311 on the 75 model. But, I'll take a look at fuse 11 and make sure it's in good shape. I can hear the hazard/turn relay working when I enable the hazards, so maybe it is the fuse??

Fuse is NOT ok. Does anyone know what the strength of that fuse is supposed to be?
Seattle_914
All is well....PO installed a stereo and amp into the fuse box and is was blowing the fuse for the Hazards. Tore away all that wiring and voila, hazards are working. New relay for the headlights with the jumper has fixed the high beams from turning off. Thanks everyone for your input...that was my very first auto wiring DIY.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.