Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 cab-forward flatbed - Looks like we'll give it a try!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Martin and I had some ideas for another project so I ended up finding two 914s that were too far gone and were never (I know, never say never) going to be restored.
Among other things, Martin wants a "utility vehicle" and starts talking about a 914 flatbed.
I send him the Photoshop pic, saying, "You mean like this?"
He gets all excited and says "I'm coming over to measure those chassis..."
Out come the tapes, straight edges, a couple crappy seats and some wood blocks. Much head scratching later, we both look at each other and say "I think we could make this work."
Maritn says, "Let me draw up some ideas..." and heads home.
I wonder what he'll come up with this time...
r_towle
smoke.gif smoke.gif
tygaboy
Many iterations and lots of hours chatting, measuring, and "really, you think?" later and... Let me just cut to the current "let's target that" concept drawing.

This isn't a 914 windshield so we know that'll change. Plus, the scale of the greenhouse isn't exactly right. BUT: It's close enough that we're going to give it a try.

It'll be fully documented on my At the Red Barn YouTube channel and this time, Martin will be featured/participating a whole lot more.

No time frame target, not sure of the drive train but we're thinking either 914 or EV conversion, given all the room for batteries under the bed. As always, "we'll see..."

And it may turn out to be so horrid in real life that we simply kill it. Regardless, you'll be the first to know.

Wish us luck, we're goin' in! sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif welder.gif welder.gif
johnhora
Good Luck on this one guys...that's crazy cool popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 19 2023, 07:40 PM) *

Many iterations and lots of hours chatting, measuring, and "really, you think?" later and... Let me just cut to the current "let's target that" concept drawing.

This isn't a 914 windshield so we know that'll change. Plus, the scale of the greenhouse isn't exactly right. BUT: It's close enough that we're going to give it a try.

It'll be fully documented on my At the Red Barn YouTube channel and this time, Martin will be featured/participating a whole lot more.

No time frame target, not sure of the drive train but we're thinking either 914 or EV conversion, given all the room for batteries under the bed. As always, "we'll see..."

And it may turn out to be so horrid in real life that we simply kill it. Regardless, you'll be the first to know.

Wish us luck, we're goin' in! sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif welder.gif welder.gif

I started on that same path years ago but too many other projects and a real job got in the want. Maybe I can dig up the thread. I think you should do it.
bkrantz
I could not resist. People used to critique the 914 design as having two fronts (or two rears). I see this as more cartoon long hood 914.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 19 2023, 08:11 PM) *

I could not resist. People used to critique the 914 design as having two fronts (or two rears). I see this as more cartoon long hood 914.

Room for a V-12 up front......
rick 918-S
idea.gif
rick 918-S
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=355608

Crap found the thread and tried to copy and paste from my phone. Didn't work.
wonkipop
do it.

will be so good.

vw/dodge nine one deora.

Click to view attachment

+ added thrill of driving a car with leg protection safety inspired by 917. beer.gif
VegasRacer
It's a clever idea but I would rather see the limo get completed.

Just sayin'. smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Not seeing how a human can fit in that cab proportionately with the pedal and steering gear, but assuming you’ve figured that out, how to get in and out of that cab?

Maybe the whole greenhouse swings/hinges up and away like the Sterling kit cars?
tygaboy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 19 2023, 07:55 PM) *

Not seeing how a human can fit in that cab proportionately with the pedal and steering gear, but assuming you’ve figured that out, how to get in and out of that cab?

Maybe the whole greenhouse swings/hinges up and away like the Sterling kit cars?

@JeffBowlsby Jeff - Yep, entry/exit is one of my concerns - and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves - but it SEEMS like we can make it work if we do gull-wing doors. The seats have to be pretty close together as driver/passenger legs have to be in-board of the inner fender well, but again, it seems doable.
And we did consider a swinging front, like an Isetta, but that was pretty quickly discarded.
tygaboy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 19 2023, 07:07 PM) *

It's a clever idea but I would rather see the limo get completed.

Just sayin'. smile.gif

@VegasRacer - Me, too. I tossed my hat in the ring when it went to Mr. Foley so I guess he "wins"! biggrin.gif
East coaster
I like it……I’ll be watching!
Cairo94507
If anyone can make this happen it will be Chris. Looking forward to seeing it come to life and seeing Martin in the process. I wonder if a nice flat six would fit in there???? beerchug.gif
Shivers
Cool. I went outside in hurricane Hillary to look at the car. I know this may be sacrilegious but the corvair truck had the engine in back and the “tailgate” on the side. That would give you a nice usable bed. Just a thought
Bullethead
Neat photochop... consider cab over wheels like a VW bus, egress would be simplified. Proportions will be more like the Deora, not a bad thing.

popcorn[1].gif

fiacra
It must be harvest time in Petaluma. I can't think of how else you could have come up with this idea. I recommend you stop sampling the product biggrin.gif
Van B
Watching this build will be like watching a cow give brith… disgusting but deeply fascinating lol…
burton73
There is no doubt that you could not build something like this for a show car but if you got in a front-end accident, it is all over. You have the skillset to do this level of custom work because you seen to try anything till you get it. You are an artist in metal, and I am always impressed by your work.

I was noodling on air-cooled pickups and saw some inserting stuff. You could also make new panels for the exterior and still have a 914 grove.

We are watching with anticipation of your art.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I like it.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Aug 20 2023, 10:52 AM) *

Neat photochop... consider cab over wheels like a VW bus, egress would be simplified. Proportions will be more like the Deora, not a bad thing.

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
Move the foot wells forward of the front wheels.
Human anatomy demands it !
It's the natural way of the COE world. biggrin.gif
( BOE in this case...bed over engine)
Osnabruck914
Hope this actually comes to fruition. Usually I'm not a fan of such mods, but this design deserves to be done. I like it.

Osnabruck914
Bullethead
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 20 2023, 04:16 PM) *

There is no doubt that you could not build something like this for a show car but if you got in a front-end accident, it is all over. You have the skillset to do this level of custom work because you seen to try anything till you get it. You are an artist in metal, and I am always impressed by your work.

I was noodling on air-cooled pickups and saw some inserting stuff. You could also make new panels for the exterior and still have a 914 groove.

We are watching with anticipation of your art.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

agree.gif

Wow, that's almost it! Add the Targa bar and top, headlight and bumper modifications would be fairly simple. Maybe a Vanagon donor is the way to go...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.