Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight mystery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robkammer
Teeners: As I was replacing my headlights, I found that the right side would not go down to be flush as it had before I replaced the lamp. I've been staring at it for hours, running it up and down and am stumped as to where I may be able to adjust the bucket. The pushrod bushings are not perfect, but OK. I'm thinking that the shop that installed them for the PO might have rigged the covers in some manner and I didn't notice it when I pulled the surrounds off.

The bigger mystery is that now, the left light turns on and goes DOWN when the right light goes UP.Turn the lights off and the right goes Down and the left goes UP. The only wires I touched were the plugs to the lamp. I disconnected the battery and cycled the left side to match the right. Under power the same thing happened, right side up and on, and the left side up and down. Swapped relays and no change.
I'm stumped and hope that someone else has seen this and can share with me what I messed up.
I have a deadline too, Teenerfest in TN is coming up quickly.
Rob
Tonyooc
I had a similar issue where they would both go up but only one would go down. I found a bad ground wire up near the headlights. I had done the relay swap as well.
toolguy
Lids go down first, then go up ??
You have the arms on the tapered splines misadjusted . . with the motor in the full down position, the arms need to hold the doors at their full down position. . easy adjustment by realigning the arm on the splines. . loosen the 10mm nut, pull arm off the spine, reposition and tighten nut. . then redo the full up stop adjustment to keet the doors steady and full upright.
also note the motor itself is adjustable on its 3 mounting bolts. .
to get the whole mess correctly positioned it's a series of adjustments which often conflict. .
robkammer
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 21 2023, 02:45 PM) *

Lids go down first, then go up ??
You have the arms on the tapered splines misadjusted . . with the motor in the full down position, the arms need to hold the doors at their full down position. . easy adjustment by realigning the arm on the splines. . loosen the 10mm nut, pull arm off the spine, reposition and tighten nut. . then redo the full up stop adjustment to keet the doors steady and full upright.
also note the motor itself is adjustable on its 3 mounting bolts. .
to get the whole mess correctly positioned it's a series of adjustments which often conflict. .

Yup, that was it. Somehow I got them mis-timed. Pulled both rods and cycled the motors a couple of times and they are back in sync. One of the arms splines had been ruined and that probably didn't help.
Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.