Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Digital Torque Wrench Recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Hello friends.

As title states, I'm looking for a recommendation on a digital torque wrench for working on my 914 (must go as low as 9 FT-LBs for the oil strainer).

I see a lot of options out there via Google searching and the prices are all over the map. I know this community knows their tools, so I trust your recommendations on an accurate, reliable, affordable digital torque wrench.
DennisV
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Aug 20 2023, 04:33 PM) *

Hello friends.

As title states, I'm looking for a recommendation on a digital torque wrench for working on my 914 (must go as low as 9 FT-LBs for the oil strainer).

I see a lot of options out there via Google searching and the prices are all over the map. I know this community knows their tools, so I trust your recommendations on an accurate, reliable, affordable digital torque wrench.

I recently spent way too much time researching torque wrenches and agonizing over making a decision. Not sure if this will help you, but here's a summary of what I learned.

If money is no object, then Snap-on may be your answer. The only consistent negative comments I found were price.

Are you determined to go digital? I ruled out digital due to the complaints about dead batteries and challenges getting them serviced. I think you will discover it is harder to find digital at the smaller size.

Tekton has mostly good reviews as a budget option. Won't get a calibration certificate or digital for the size you want. I have owned this 1/4-inch in.-lb wrench for a few years and have been pleased. It is in your range, but measured in inch lbs. I am sending it out for calibration Monday. $55 at Team Torque. Unfortunately that is more than the price of the wrench, but the point of the wrench is some confidence. Not sure what to expect.

For my new wrench, I ended up getting Precision Instruments. Consistently good reviews for them and CDI. PI you can buy direct from the manufacturer. The only complaints I've found are price and that you have to pay extra if you want a calibration certificate tied to the serial number of your unit. They have a flex head split beam in the size you want. Not digital though. Split beam seems to be gaining in popularity.
bkrantz
"accurate, reliable, affordable"

These may not be possible together. And especially over a broad range.

One of my first serious tool upgrades was a pair of Snap-on torque wrenches. I had some cheap thing before that, and soon realized I did not get repeatable numbers. I then realized that if a fastener needed precision tightening, the tool also needed precision. The Snap-on wrenches has served me well, and have been easy to get calibrated (and certified).

BTW, while I like digital readouts for some tools, I prefer old-fashioned clicks for torque wrenches.
mepstein
We use a couple digital snap-on wrenches for engine and trans buildings. Worth the money.
technicalninja
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-4-Inch-...845793&th=1

That's what I'd buy for low torque torque wrench.

9ft lbs is 108 inch lbs which is is the middle range for this wrench.

I'd spend the big money for snappy stuff on the higher range units
30-200 lbs

Heres what I've used for 3 decades. I've sent it in for calibration twice and it's come back fine twice (did not need adjustment).
I always run it back down to lowest torque reading before storage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295820476027?_trkp...7Cclp%3A2047675
Van B
I have the full AC Delco set and I’ve been very impressed.

They’ve gone up in price but still a considerable value for the accuracy and features

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Tools-ARM313...n/dp/B01GOSO9LM
targa72e
I would also look at torque transducers as there are many versions available and the one I purchased had a accuracy certificate.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM602-4-Dig...731271&th=1

I have since purchase others to get wider range.

john
steuspeed
I have a Craftsman and one day I whipped it out and the batteries were dead in the middle of my wrenching. Now I need some special button batteries not on hand and not cheap. I would rather have a tool I can just reach for and know it's going to work. Especially one that may have occasional use.
VaccaRabite
Digital tools are the WORST.
You need them every now and again. The battery is always dead, and a 1/2 dead batter does not give an accurate reading. You never ever have the right size battery on hand, and you have to go find the little button size or order them online. F*CK THAT. Got rid of all the stupid digital readout stuff.

Give me clicks and dials. No way do I try dealing with digital tools anymore.

Zach
Cairo94507
I too have gone through digital torque wrenches and experienced the dead battery issue. Got rid of them and now only use basic wrenches which never fail me when I need them. beerchug.gif
jd74914
I always hear that argument, but truly high end digital tools don't have that problem. IE: A set of Mitutoyo digital calipers or micrometer will go years between battery changes. They consume less power than a cheap HF or less cheap Fowler set does turned off. laugh.gif

Sorry, no feedback on digital torque wrenches though I would love to have a set.
930cabman
Is anyone using a beam style?
toolguy
do some research into split beam torque wrenches and their advantages, specifically ones made by Precision Instruments. . . they are the actual maker of Snap On and other high quality professional brands. . .
Deals can be found on Amazon I found a new 600 lb 3/4 drive for just less than $500 for center lock rims with free shipping MFG list was around $900
technicalninja
Beam type are stupid accurate and cheap. I use them all the time. My inch/lb units are all beam style. Old and accurate as hell.
You have to know how to use them.
The good ones have a handle that is on a pivot, and you need to "float" the handle between the stops to achieve an accurate reading.

Split beam torque wrenches can be left at any torque settings, and it won't jack with them. The Precision brand is the top dog of the split beams. they really do make the "Snappy" ones. Expensive but worth it if you're using it a bunch. My overall best choice for high end torque wrenches.

Wind up clickers have to be wound down to their lowest torque settings for storage or they WILL go out of calibration. You leave them at lowest torque reading, not all the way down!
My normal Snappy is this style. I've used it for 3 decades, sent it in for calibration twice and it has never needed adjustment. I am an ABSOLUTE BITCH about winding it down for storage.

I do NOT use a torque wrench that has batteries. I never have.
They might be fine, but I've found the old analog stuff is commonly more accurate than the new-fangled digital stuff.

A modern digital oscilloscope is useless. AN old analog oscilloscope is the way to go IMO.
You need a CRT to see all the trash (which is sometimes the root of the problem) and the new stuff cleans all that up...
930cabman
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Aug 21 2023, 12:52 PM) *

Beam type are stupid accurate and cheap. I use them all the time. My inch/lb units are all beam style. Old and accurate as hell.
You have to know how to use them.
The good ones have a handle that is on a pivot, and you need to "float" the handle between the stops to achieve an accurate reading.

Split beam torque wrenches can be left at any torque settings, and it won't jack with them. The Precision brand is the top dog of the split beams. they really do make the "Snappy" ones. Expensive but worth it if you're using it a bunch. My overall best choice for high end torque wrenches.

Wind up clickers have to be wound down to their lowest torque settings for storage or they WILL go out of calibration. You leave them at lowest torque reading, not all the way down!
My normal Snappy is this style. I've used it for 3 decades, sent it in for calibration twice and it has never needed adjustment. I am an ABSOLUTE BITCH about winding it down for storage.

I do NOT use a torque wrench that has batteries. I never have.
They might be fine, but I've found the old analog stuff is commonly more accurate than the new-fangled digital stuff.

A modern digital oscilloscope is useless. AN old analog oscilloscope is the way to go IMO.
You need a CRT to see all the trash (which is sometimes the root of the problem) and the new stuff cleans all that up...

Being an old school guy and CSOB, the beam works well. I have used the click style, but often wondered how accurate they are. If the beam zeros out, all should be fine.

I was fired from a job in the late 1970's for not using a torque wrench when tightening a rod cap. Bearing was replaced while on jackstands laying on my back. Shop owner was a jerk, and I would see the old Renault around from time to time.

After a bit of time wrenching one will get the feel for how tight a rod cap, head bolt, ... should be.
brant
About 2 years back
I upgraded to a precision instrument
It calibrated and I’m careful about unwinding if after use

Oddly it came to me at 7 or 10ft pounds
I’ve debated if I should unwind it to zero or 7 for storage
sixnotfour
Old School but you never want to be at extreme end of range, used to be torque wrenches would have an accuracy range charts... buy 2 torque wrenchs .. I may be wrong modern day what ever ,,,safer is better.. I have 4 ranges..
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 21 2023, 09:52 PM) *

Old School but you never want to be at extreme end of range, used to be torque wrenches would have an accuracy range charts... buy 2 torque wrenchs .. I may be wrong modern day what ever ,,,safer is better

Exactly what my machinist told me. Even with the digital ones.
sixnotfour
test it on the Srap On Truck
iankarr
I have these and have been happy with them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTSRZK...e=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYUQI...=UTF8&psc=1
mb911
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Aug 20 2023, 03:33 PM) *

Hello friends.

9ft lbs should be converted to inch lbs. way more accurate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.