Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I have a few front end squeaks that I have been avoiding for a bit while I work on other issues. I think I am ready to look into them now. What can I do? What to look for? How to fix them? I have not looked at anything on the front end yet. I will get it in the air and start this week.
Cairo94507
Chasing squeaks is entertaining. I started by putting the car up in the air and looking at all of the suspension connections. I look for obvious signs of dry bushings, metal rubbing on parts, signs of rust, etc.

How long has it been since the front suspension bushings were replaced? I also look for places where there should perhaps be rubber insulators which have gone missing. Bump stops for hood/trunk, shocks, etc. I would also use a nice rubber lubricant and spray the bushings one at a time and take a spin around the block to see if that changed the squeak. That way if it changes you are homing on on the issue.

The most notorious squeaks for me were always the top and suspension bushings when I was running poly/bronze bushings (my last 6) for everything. Swapping out to rubber solved 90% of my squeaks. Good luck in your hunt. beerchug.gif
JamesM
Step 1: get rid of all Poly bushings
NARP74
I will have to see if it has any, but based on the squeaks, I would have to say yes it does. I'll be looking tonight. Only had the car 1 year and never even looked at them. Been working on other issues.
NARP74
I think I have it isolated to the front left control arm, can't tell yet if it is the forward or rear bushing.
They look like rubber. They were pretty soft when poked with a pick.
More work tomorrow.
Can the front sway bar squeak?
Cairo94507
Yes, beerchug.gif the sway bars can squeak too.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually the suspension bushings soak them with rubber lube from on top and underneath

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 21 2023, 07:31 AM) *

I have a few front end squeaks that I have been avoiding for a bit while I work on other issues. I think I am ready to look into them now. What can I do? What to look for? How to fix them? I have not looked at anything on the front end yet. I will get it in the air and start this week.

NARP74
Never heard of rubber lube before. Teflon spray? I did look up AT 205. What is used?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.