Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid question - inserting the targa top into trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sarivers2001
Stupid question guys. I though I had a good memory of this but its been a while and now I having a evil of a time getting the targa top into the trunk and latched down.

Any good short videos y’all know of and can send me links to walking through the targa top removal, storage in trunk, and re-installation/latch down process. Cant seem to find any on YouTube, surprisingly.

Thanks all.

Steven
mepstein
Unlatch all 4 latches. Slide back and lift off the car. Slide it forward into the trunk latches and pop the rubber pieces over the back to secure the trunk. Lid should close easily.
StarBear
Also, straighten the front latches as the front edge slips into the two brackets, slipping the latches into the off-white cups by the rear shock tops.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2023, 12:16 PM) *

Unlatch all 4 latches. Slide back and lift off the car. Slide it forward into the trunk latches and pop the rubber pieces over the back to secure the trunk. Lid should close easily.

Many thanks. Looks like a piece of an aftermarket upgrade to FI system has been installed adjacent to one of the white front stowage clips and it is slightly in the way of the targa top sliding into place smoothly as it should have. I need to get that remedied.

Thanks again!
sarivers2001
QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 21 2023, 12:46 PM) *

Also, straighten the front latches as the front edge slips into the two brackets, slipping the latches into the off-white cups by the rear shock tops.

Thanks!
kerensky
Ahhh, the DAPO strikes again.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm curious as to what the mystery item in the way is. Picture please.
Front yard mechanic
I love when I see a post start with “stupid question” it reminds me of home grouphug.gif
930cabman
Enjoy "tops off" motoring in good health
sarivers2001
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 22 2023, 12:11 PM) *

The silver box. I believe the seller described it as the “brains” of an upgrade to the FI system.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 22 2023, 03:40 PM) *

The silver box. I believe the seller described it as the “brains” of an upgrade to the FI system.

That is the "ECU" for the D-Jet injection. It is not supposed to be mounted in the trunk. It actually belongs in a bracket on the front side of the battery tray.

If you put it back in the original location, and move the aftermarket ignition system module located next to it, you won't have any problem putting the top in the trunk.

sarivers2001
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 22 2023, 01:42 PM) *

That is the "ECU" for the D-Jet injection. It is not supposed to be mounted in the trunk. It actually belongs in a bracket on the front side of the battery tray.

If you put it back in the original location, and move the aftermarket ignition system module located next to it, you won't have any problem putting the top in the trunk.

That’s right, now that you mention it, he indicated having relocated it for a reason I do not specifically recall (I believe related to other mods made, to ignition system and oil pump/lines)

Very helpful, thank you!

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 22 2023, 03:49 PM) *

That’s right, now that you mention it, he indicated having relocated it for a reason I do not specifically recall (I believe related to other mods made, to ignition system and oil pump/lines)

Very helpful, thank you!

If you can't remount it in the original location, just move it inside the engine compartment instead of in the trunk. There should be room.

sarivers2001
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 22 2023, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 22 2023, 03:49 PM) *

Very helpful, thank you!

If you can't remount it in the original location, just move it inside the engine compartment instead of in the trunk. There should be room.

cool.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(kerensky @ Aug 21 2023, 04:36 PM) *

Ahhh, the DAPO strikes again.

lol-2.gif

Another head scratcher. Not sure what prior owner thought he was fixing but apparently never took the top off .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.