Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got rear ended today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
R Dub
I'm super pissed right now. Was involved in a hit and run. Was sitting at a stop light and it just turned green and his guy in a jacked up F-250 was a bit too edgar and rammed into the back of me. I pulled over thinking he was going to do the same and he took off. I tried to read the plates but couldn't and then tried to track him down but he was gone. The only real damage on the outside that I can see is the trunk lid does not sit flush anymore and it is caved in a bit. Not sure if there is structure damage. Really hope it's not too bad to fix. I really f**king hate people!!
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bkrantz
I share your frustration. Just from your photos, it might be only a distortion in the trunk lid. Many lids have something similar, with the center of the rear edge pushed down and in. And it might be possible to bend it back. Very brave people have removed the lid from the hinges, put it on the floor, and propped up the rear corners. And then while chanting all the right words, gently press on the center.
mate914
Glad you are ok. Car can be fixed with no pain damage, you can not.
Matt

QUOTE(R Dub @ Aug 21 2023, 08:35 PM) *

I'm super pissed right now. Was involved in a hit and run. Was sitting at a stop light and it just turned green and his guy in a jacked up F-250 was a bit too edgar and rammed into the back of me. I pulled over thinking he was going to do the same and he took off. I tried to read the plates but couldn't and then tried to track him down but he was gone. The only real damage on the outside that I can see is the trunk lid does not sit flush anymore and it is caved in a bit. Not sure if there is structure damage. Really hope it's not too bad to fix. I really f**king hate people!!

Spoke
ar15.gif

Nobody pays attention anymore on the road. Hope the damage isn't extensive.
Dion
Sorry to read this has happened to you. I’m sure a competent older Porsche restoration shop will
Make this right.
SirAndy
sad.gif
infraredcalvin
Sorry to hear, been there, at the end of the day, and a little bit of effort on my part, my insurance made the car right. Glad you’re ok. That guy will get his own someday.
Literati914
Fleeing is the new norm, it seems..

Cairo94507
Sad to see that happen to you. sad.gif

Glad the damage is minor and you are OK. Hopefully it will be easily repairable. I have a BlackVue front & rear camera system sitting in my garage and was planning to install it in my car for this exact reason. I have seen many hit and runs where the responsible party just flees. That seems to be the current attitude in CA....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am so sorry. After 50 years of life one would think that your 914 would get a free pass from damage like this. And also to think of a fellow human so low as to hit and run

QUOTE(R Dub @ Aug 21 2023, 05:35 PM) *

Al Meredith
I worry about this all the time when I'm at a stop light because it takes a little time to get this old gearbox into first and get started.
scott_in_nh
Sorry that happened to you - people suck mad.gif

Years ago I got backed into at work, the colleague I considered a friend had done it in his wife's Volvo SUV and "using his mirrors" he didn't think he did any damage. so kept going and kept quiet.
Using the security footage, he was the only one to leave through the back door at the time it had to have happened, and fessed up when confronted.
I collected $1200 and bought a hood, but the car has other body and paint issues that made blending it in a waste of time and money.
So I massaged it back into position well enough and have lived with it ever since though I occasionally work on it more to make it fit better than it ever did!
You should give it a try!
StarBear
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 22 2023, 10:50 AM) *

I worry about this all the time when I'm at a stop light because it takes a little time to get this old gearbox into first and get started.

agree.gif
Too many of these stories. Even the 3rd brake light won’t help against folks that are just too eager to rip roar ahead, not realizing that everyone can’t press in the gas and speed up instantaneously.
Made worse by running. Karma… eventually.
kerensky
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 21 2023, 09:51 PM) *

Fleeing is the new norm, it seems..

Considering the number of drivers out there with no license, no insurance, its astounding that anyone gets anywhere.
76-914
ar15.gif
windforfun
You have my sincere condolences. BTDT.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
jim_hoyland
At a 914 group drive several years ago in Medford, I drove the sweep car - a late Midel Toyota SUV.
While at a light I noticed that the 914s with original 914 tail lights were not that easy to see. The LED taillights were super clear.
And the cars with a third brake light seemed even better.
Geezer914
Man that sucks. Did he dent the trunk lid? I installed a third brake light from an 86 Corvette.Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
These Hit and Run Assholes need to be hammered into the ground. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is more damage than the trunk lid not lining up.

Make a police report and camp on the investigators to follow up, ie any video that might be available in the area, etc. After 30 years in Law Enforcement, believe me whaen I say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".
windforfun
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
R Dub
Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I have lost a lot of sleep the past couple nights thinking about this and fearing the worst. The car has a ton of sentimental value to me as it was my Grandpa's so really hoping to get it fixed. I called one reputable body shop who wouldn't look at it cause he has no parts catalogue so has no idea how to quote it. Called another one that was worried about matching paint but there is not paint damage that I can see so I just got to bring it over there to have it looked at. Hopefully on Friday as it's supposed to be 106 degrees here tomorrow.
Robarabian

I will second this as a former collision investigator.... Report and sit on the chiefs head till he orders em to do a good follow up.

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Aug 22 2023, 05:14 PM) *

These Hit and Run Assholes need to be hammered into the ground. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is more damage than the trunk lid not lining up.

Make a police report and camp on the investigators to follow up, ie any video that might be available in the area, etc. After 30 years in Law Enforcement, believe me whaen I say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

R Dub
Took it to a body shop that said I need a new trunk lid so if you have or know of a straight and clean one available please let me know.
Craigers17
QUOTE(R Dub @ Aug 25 2023, 12:39 PM) *

Took it to a body shop that said I need a new trunk lid so if you have or know of a straight and clean one available please let me know.

No affiliation, but this one looks pretty straight.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/p...7652912264.html
R Dub
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 25 2023, 02:56 PM) *

No affiliation, but this one looks pretty straight.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/p...7652912264.html

Awesome thanks
R Dub
Little update. I have been talking to the guy in Philly about his. It sure does look straight and he seems like a good dude. Was really close to buying it but was talking to a guy I know this weekend and his friend works at a high end body shop so I took it there and he said he can fix mine so I shouldn't need a new one. What a sigh of relief!! I'm taking the car into him in about 10 days. Will post the after pics. Fingers crossed...
Cairo94507
Glad to hear it; good luck and looking forward to seeing the repair work. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Have you checked with 914LTD? Located in Peoria.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 22 2023, 06:38 AM) *

Sad to see that happen to you. sad.gif

Glad the damage is minor and you are OK. Hopefully it will be easily repairable. I have a BlackVue front & rear camera system sitting in my garage and was planning to install it in my car for this exact reason. I have seen many hit and runs where the responsible party just flees. That seems to be the current attitude in CA....

My basically brand new CRV was dinged in the parking lot at work (community college). The kid left a note and when I retrieved the note, witnesses came back and left notes to help. Then they found me.

Kid was great. Mom wanted to pay under the table. I said "I'm sorry, I'm a dean at the college and kind of have to follow the rules"

If the police wonder why I keep my phone at hand. . it's to snap a photo if I'm hit like you. It happened in Iowa a long time ago. 1980 Dodge Mirada (tank) rear ended by a drunk guy in a pickup. I damn well chased him down and gave the police his address. Nothing happened to him. I'm guessing he was related to someone high up in the police force. Mirada was totaled (still drove). Ugh!!
R Dub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 6 2023, 03:51 PM) *

Have you checked with 914LTD? Located in Peoria.

Yeah I contacted Brad. He had some lids but said none of them really good and referred me to Gerald and he said he didn't think he had any. Which why fixing the current one is preferred.
bludden
Hit and Run on the interstate coming home from a football game. Chased the #$%@er and got the tag but the somehow slimed out of paying.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Count your blessings... It could have been way worse.

Click to view attachment

Mad props to Spoke.. the LED tail lights still worked on both sides.

3 years and it is still in the body shop.

R Dub
bludden and ClayPerrine, those look nasty! First of all just glad you're okay. Really hope your car's are able to get back on the road quickly.
R Dub
Only took 6 months but finally got the car back home!!! piratenanner.gif

It is not perfect but is a lot better. Shop said it was the best they could do with that lid so guess I will just have to live with it. They were also able to fix the front bumper which is awesome. At first I was very hesitant about driving it cause I didn't/do not want this to ever happen again but after driving it I don't think I can just keep it in the garage. This car is way too much fun.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Garland
driving.gif

Enjoy!
Dion
Looks great. Glad it’s back together for ya. driving.gif
Krieger
smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations!
Cairo94507
Thanks for following up so we all know it got sorted so you can enjoy driving it again. Congratulations on saving the trunk too.

If you do not have a set of Spoke's LED lights, (personally, I think all 914's should be fully LED on lighting and Jerry makes them all plug 'n play) and a 3rd brake light mounted high, please do that. You will enjoy driving it more knowing people will see the brake lights. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am a real timid guy when it comes to driving my perfect 914s. I keep them inside and never drive them to avoid this kind of CRAP.

If the body is in alignment, then you probably need a new deck lid to totally get you back to pre accident condition
sbsix
I’m with George. I very rarely drive my six anymore. Too many drivers running stop signs and distractions from paying attention. Plus if I get hit by a large SUV I’m not sure my car and I would survive.
mepstein
I’m the opposite. I’ll drive any car, price be dammed. Having something and not using it does nothing for me.
technicalninja
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

An acquaintance of mine has a million dollar plus classic muscle car collection.

He doesn't drive them at all...

Seems like a hoarder to me.

Even though his collection is the nicest of all of my car friends I DON'T consider him a "car guy" or an enthusiast.

He's a miser in my book...

Now, if you're driving a classic Porsche, on the street, and don't have "specialty" insurance (with pre-determined value) you're doing it wrong.

And I'm NOT suggesting you drive that Porsche in Dallas rush hour traffic but if you aren't wringing its neck at least once a week/month then you're a collector like my acquaintance...
gandalf_025
The first thing I installed in my wife's new Honda was a dash camera.
It is hard wired to the car and has front and rear cameras.

Even when the car is parked, if it senses a bang, it will turn both cameras on for a few minutes.just in case it might catch something going on..

I plan on having cameras in all my cars soon, just in case.

Geezer914
You only live once and you don't know when your number will be called. Drive your cars! If you live near a city in a high traffic area I can see why you may be afraid to take it out. In that case, I would find a place to store it in a rural setting so you would feel more at ease taking it for a drive. I live in rural south Jersey, I don't drive it in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall I am enjoying the ride.
burton73
I am always scared to drive my cars. That is a problem. I asked Eric at PMB to set me up with a 3rd brake light.

Super clean installation. Thinking of putting a strobe flasher on it but the local peace officers may not like that.

I was rear-ended a little in my 74 BK 2.0 in 1979. The guy behind was to impatient at a light that turned to green. I was putting my car in gear.

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
technicalninja
Bob, I'm with Geezer on this.

It was built for YOU!

You paid for it.

It's a bit like having a HOT mistress that you don't use to keep her fresh for the next guy...

Drive the piss out of it!

Have as much fun as you can.

You're going to regret not driving more than you did when you can no longer drive!
Geezer914
Third brake light with 3 second flasher.Click to view attachment
R Dub
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 7 2024, 01:44 PM) *

I am always scared to drive my cars. That is a problem. I asked Eric at PMB to set me up with a 3rd brake light.

Super clean installation. Thinking of putting a strobe flasher on it but the local peace officers may not like that.

I was rear-ended a little in my 74 BK 2.0 in 1979. The guy behind was to impatient at a light that turned to green. I was putting my car in gear.

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

I do like the idea of adding a 3rd brake light as that could've been how this happened. I have the Spoke LED's but the brake lights are so low that any higher vehicle won't be able to see them and that's what hit me was a jacked up F250. I searched PMB website but didn't see a 3rd light option in there so maybe I'll reach out
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(R Dub @ Aug 25 2023, 12:39 PM) *

I may have one. Feel free to come by and see if what I have is good enough. I will be back Wednesday

Mark
mrholland2
And let's talk about the asshats that have their trucks squatted in the back. How do they see ANYTHING??? Plus, how the heck does it steer properly? Looks like a dog with worms dragging it's butt on the ground. Stupid stupid stupid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.