Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding a 1.8L--- Camshaft size and other suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crossleg_Luke
Well, after about a month of struggling with Rust on my first 914, We finally threw in the towel and decided it was too far gone to be sensibly repaired...

So, I set out to find a new(better) Unibody to transfer all my good parts onto. That resulted in a very kind stranger in the 914 community offering to give me one of his Rollers! laugh.gif (im still shocked and incredibly thankful for this.) And we're going to pick it up and bring it home next week!

I'm going to be dropping the 1.8L out of the now demoted Donor car, and Begin a rebuild of it tomorrow. Since we're building a Lemons car, I don't want to make any DRASTIC modifications to it, I just make sure everything is good to go for a 24hr race and in best possible condition.

But, I wanted to ask here about any suggested modifications y'all had. Particularly if the Stock camshaft size was the best for my use case or if there was a better option. I come from a drag racing background, so I'm not sure if the drag racing strategy of "Do they make one bigger? Give me that." Translates to road course racing idea.gif

The car will see some occasional time on the highway when done. But I'm no stranger to driving race cars to work, and Georgia doesn't care about anything I do to it, so I'm asking as if it was pure bred track car engine

The car still has its Fuel injection system, and right now the plan is to keep it fuel injected.
Van B
These motors were built in the era of torque is king. So, you should drive where the power is. Ringing its neck with a stock cam, won’t get you anywhere but back in the pits sooner. Let it rev, but drive the mid range i.e. keep the tach pointing north.

L-Jetronic is a great system as far as old open loop systems go, but you need to replace EVERY vacuum line with the proper size if you want reliable operation. We have a trove of information here on making L-Jet work right.
Crossleg_Luke
QUOTE(Van B @ Aug 21 2023, 10:53 PM) *

These motors were built in the era of torque is king. So, you should drive where the power is. Ringing its neck with a stock cam, won’t get you anywhere but back in the pits sooner. Let it rev, but drive the mid range i.e. keep the tach pointing north.

L-Jetronic is a great system as far as old open loop systems go, but you need to replace EVERY vacuum line with the proper size if you want reliable operation. We have a trove of information here on making L-Jet work right.

So do you recommend sticking with the stock cams? or do you recommend swapping it out to one better for higher RPMs?
Van B
For a lemons race? How much power do you need to make competitive lap times in your class? I’d want a motor that ran cool and doesn’t burn oil excessively… or leak.

Also, are you planning on a full engine build or just some tuning and parts here and there?

1.8s have pretty low compression stock. Higher compression pistons will give you hp everywhere
Crossleg_Luke
QUOTE(Van B @ Aug 22 2023, 12:25 AM) *

For a lemons race? How much power do you need to make competitive lap times in your class? I’d want a motor that ran cool and doesn’t burn oil excessively… or leak.

Also, are you planning on a full engine build or just some tuning and parts here and there?

1.8s have pretty low compression stock. Higher compression pistons will give you hp everywhere

The engine has an unknown number of miles on it, and has been sitting for atleast 3 decades as best our guess is from clues found in the car. (The newest item found was dated 1986)

And I plan on keeping the car... essentially till God takes it from me, So the current plan is taking it all the way down to the short-block and rebuilding it. That is the perfect time to make these part changes, so that's why I'm asking.

If the Engine Nukes itself... Honestly we'll just probably Hayabusa swap it.

but that's plan C, and I don't really care about MAXXING out the 1.8's power. I'm just asking what would be some good moderate upgrades to liven it up a bit.
Spoke
Don't mean to throw shade on your plans but you should consider punching out the P&Cs to 96mm or looking for a 2L engine. The 1.7/1.8L engines are turds. I've had both in my 914 and owned a 2L 914. Now I have a 2056cc and it kicks ass compared to the 1.8L. If you're going to tear down the engine and rebuild, go with your drag racing roots and go bigger.
930cabman
welcome.png

Sounds like you are jumping in head first, good for you, we can help (probably)

Take your time, do your research and plot your course. Opening the bore up to 96mm is cost effective with a mild cam and general cleanup are my recommendations.
Dave_Darling
If you are keeping the stock fuel injection, keep the stock cam. It's the simplest way to go.

If you're swapping over to dual carbs, then you can go bigger. You can only go so far before the stock heads run out of breath, though, so don't go too big. Something like the Web 86 grind is supposed to be pretty good.

--DD
JamesJ
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 22 2023, 03:09 AM) *

Don't mean to throw shade on your plans but you should consider punching out the P&Cs to 96mm or looking for a 2L engine. The 1.7/1.8L engines are turds. I've had both in my 914 and owned a 2L 914. Now I have a 2056cc and it kicks ass compared to the 1.8L. If you're going to tear down the engine and rebuild, go with your drag racing roots and go bigger.

I agree with this, particularly the 2056 build. It's the way to go!
Puebloswatcop
agree.gif , 2056 isnt a huge expense when compared to building a base 1.7 or 1.8. and I think you'll be happeier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.